Report: Chris Berman retiring (update - nope. Tom Jackson)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it doesn't look like Berman is retiring, but Tom Jackson is after 29 years. I enjoyed this article today on NFL Primetime, and how it changed sports television

http://awfulannouncing.com/2016/how-nfl-primetime-changed-sports-television-forever.html

Why did losing the Sunday night game mean ESPN couldn't/wouldn't run NFL Primetime after the end of the 4 pm games? Like 7 PM?

Edited by Mr. WEO

Why did losing the Sunday night game mean ESPN couldn't/wouldn't run NFL Primetime after the end of the 4 pm games? Like 7 PM?

i believe it was because nbc wanted to run their own version - Sunday Night in America (or whatever it's called) - at 7pm before SNF Edited by YoloinOhio

I will never forget the days when Berman and Jackson did NFL Primetime, the days before the rise of social media. Just thinking of their voices gives me that relaxing feeling of winding down after a tense day of football. Sure they had their faults but that duo will always remind me of my younger years.

Mort looks rough, hang in there big fella.

Edited by Commonsense

i believe it was because nbc wanted to run their own version - Sunday Night in America (or whatever it's called) - at 7pm before SNF

Sure, but if ESPN had the premiere Sunday evening football show all those years, why would they surrender to an NBC ripoff that no one had ever viewed before?

Strange decision.

Sure, but if ESPN had the premiere Sunday evening football show all those years, why would they surrender to an NBC ripoff that no one had ever viewed before?

Strange decision.

I doubt it was a decision on the part of ESPN. Wouldn't you think that NBC negotiated for the only live update show leading into their night game?

Hate to see TJ go...always liked him.

Did you see Orlando Pace? He did a nice job up there, I wonder how you OSU guys rank him?

If encompassing both college and NFL, (though I've only been watching OSU since the 90s), he is the best. Only one maybe better is Jim Parker, from the 1960s. Cris Carter is right there. Edited by YoloinOhio

I doubt it was a decision on the part of ESPN. Wouldn't you think that NBC negotiated for the only live update show leading into their night game?

Hate to see TJ go...always liked him.

Not sure how another network can prevent ESPN from doing a football highlight show. Or why the NFL would feel they would have to agree to limiting how many shows and networks would highlight their product on Sundays.

Edit: I looked it up, they did get exclusivity of "extended highlights".

Edited by Mr. WEO

I'm not an OSU guy (though I went to college in Ohio), but I always thought Orlando Pace was amazing.

He held out in 97 (his rookie year), 2003 and 2004.

He missed 6 games in 2002 (still makes the Pro Bowl, lol). Missed 8 games in 2006. Missed 15 games in 2007 and 2 more in 2008.