Sanjay Lal on the WR Corps

As I said before, it won't be hard to replace Hogan's 36 receptions for 450 yards and 2 TD's from last year. Oh and his 1 rush for 4 yards.

But the all knowing master and shoulda been Bills' czar Polian said he's a big loss to the Bills. :lol:

I want to see Sammy at the top of this list in 2016.

@PFF

Most-targeted receivers last season: 1. Julio Jones (193 targets) 2. Antonio Brown (190) 3. DeAndre Hopkins (187) 4. Demaryius Thomas (169)

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But the all knowing master and shoulda been Bills' czar Polian said he's a big loss to the Bills. :lol:

@PFF

Most-targeted receivers last season: 1. Julio Jones (193 targets) 2. Antonio Brown (190) 3. DeAndre Hopkins (187) 4. Demaryius Thomas (169)

Extrapolated over 16 games, the last quarter of the season for Sammy would have gotten him fourth on this list, three ahead of DT @ 172.

His most targetted game was week 17: 15

To put that in perspective, in Julio Jones' most targetted game of 2016 he got 20 looks. And over the season, including that game, had six games of 15 targets or more. Only twice did Jones get single-digit targets. Only four times did Sammy get double digit targets.

Something would have to change quite a bit for him to be on this list. But I share your hope. It would also mean quite a deal to TT's "development," I reckon.

Extrapolated over 16 games, the last quarter of the season for Sammy would have gotten him fourth on this list, three ahead of DT @ 172.

His most targetted game was week 17: 15

To put that in perspective, in Julio Jones' most targetted game of 2016 he got 20 looks. And over the season, including that game, had six games of 15 targets or more. Only twice did Jones get single-digit targets. Only four times did Sammy get double digit targets.

Something would have to change quite a bit for him to be on this list. But I share your hope. It would also mean quite a deal to TT's "development," I reckon.

If you have a big gun, then shoot it!

@TodaysPigskin

Dynamic and explosive, #Bills WR Sammy Watkins comes in at No. 17 on our #NFL25at25 list. @DanSchneierNFL's story.

The 11 receivers beyond Watkins and Woods are a who's who of undrafted and street free agents. Little, Hankerson, Boykin, and Salas have all played or been a roster member for at least 4 teams, so expecting them to magically transform into a competent third option is wishful thinking. The remaining 7 receivers have done almost nothing in the NFL.

Buffalo needs to work Clay into the passing game because after Woods there's very little.

How about just because he is a stud TE we just spent a crap load on.

Oh it's a big loss...in the nickname department. No one has one as catchy as "7-11."

how could you forget he was 1-1 passing! Best completion percentage on the team :cry:

My bad.

@TyDunne

New at the BN Blog: #Bills' Robert Woods (now healthy) leads group of Watkins-less WR's through OTA's... https://t.co/0J5kWitFsC

Woods played all of last w the groin injury. Had surgery in late December. Couldn't run until mid-March: "I feel like I can run again."

Also, Jarrett Boykin stood out in practice open to us. Has a chance to get leg up in WR race: “I don’t want to leave anything out there."

The 11 receivers beyond Watkins and Woods are a who's who of undrafted and street free agents. Little, Hankerson, Boykin, and Salas have all played or been a roster member for at least 4 teams, so expecting them to magically transform into a competent third option is wishful thinking. The remaining 7 receivers have done almost nothing in the NFL.

Buffalo needs to work Clay into the passing game because after Woods there's very little.

You are one of the most negative people on this board. Little Hankerson Boykin and Salas are all professionals. Are they Julio Jones, Sammy or Beckham, probably not. But there is absolutely no reason they can not be competent NFL receivers for us. It ain't that bad man.

Actually the strategy of bringing in alot of options and only needing to get 1 or perhaps 2 is a pretty good one.

Actually the strategy of bringing in alot of options and only needing to get 1 or perhaps 2 is a pretty good one.

Especially when you consider Sammy, Woods, Clay and McCoy will all be featured in the offense before them.

What are we really looking for here?

Especially when you consider Sammy, Woods, Clay and McCoy will all be featured in the offense before them.

What are we really looking for here?

I like our chances of finding 1-2 highly motivated ballers out of 11. Not saying they will find an ALL PRO, but I've felt all along this is a great strategy.

Edited by The Thurmanator

I think what the real issue is that fans want a number 1 talent to emerge if our number 1 talent gets hurt

without realizing that RARELY happens

I think back to the days when it was considered that we had a 1a and a 1b in Eric Moulds and Peerless price

but the fact is Peerless Price was not really a true number 1......he did well because Eric Moulds was on the field with him....and when he left he did not have the same impact for his next team.

We just need players to do their jobs...be consistant

@PFF

I don't. If he's seeing the most targets, to me that says Woods, Clay, and our running game have failed.

Sammy, Woods, and Clay will all put up bigger numbers when we can start throwing the ball in the middle of the field. This is especially true for Clay at TE.

I get that it is a mismatch to suddenly have him running down the sideline, or the screen pass. But this is not the best way to use the guy consistently. If we cannot consistently get those 15 yard throws over the middle, our great route runners in Woods and Clay, will never pan out as effective.

i always dig when someone can share some of the high points, instead of just the teaser that it has good info.

if anyone wants to chime in with a couple of the insights the OP mentioned, i bet many would appreciate it.

Jeez, if I have to do your job for you I'm going to want the paycheck, too. :)

Anyway, here is a good synopsis of the WRs he mentioned.

http://www.scout.com/nfl/bills/story/1672951-sanjay-lal-discusses-bills-wr-corps

Also, thought it was interesting that he stated that Listenbee only ran routes from the left side in college and that he has a lot of learning to do in the NFL.

Edited by ChevyVanMiller

Biggest AFC Weak Spots
Offense is one of the biggest concerns for the Denver Broncos and New York Jets heading into the 2016 season. Gregg Rosenthal takes a look at the biggest weak spot for each AFC team.

Buffalo Bills: Tyrod Taylor had a wideout problem before Sammy Watkins' foot surgery. If Watkins can't stay healthy, they could have a crisis. Robert Woods would be stretched as a No. 3 receiver on a lot of teams. He's locked in as a starter here. The local rags are talking up Greg Salas as a strong candidate for the slot receiver job. Leonard Hankerson and Jarrett Boykin are other options. Coach Rex Ryan might never let coordinator Greg Roman call a forward pass.