(OT) (LAMP) New Wegmans in Fairfax, VA

The wife (VA native) suggested this morning that we make the trip up to check out the new Wegmans in NOVA. Let me first say how awesome that store is. Let me next say that there were so many fuggin people there that they had police directing traffic in and out.

They had everything that I was looking for (Italian Sausage patties, zweigles, sponge candy, webers mustard, salt potatoes). Other things they had that I didn't buy, but know as regional - Sahlens hots, anchor bar sauce, boss sauce, chivetas and many other things that I'm sure I'm forgetting. The only thing that I was looking for, but couldn't find was Kluski noodles.

Again, the store is INCREDIBLE. Deli counter, butcher shop, seafood shop, bakery, cheese shop, wine department (over 1500 bottles), etc. I could have stayed 2 more hours, but the 1 and 4 year old had enough. Anyone in the region should check it out.

wish they would come to albany, give price chopper a run for the money

246991[/snapback]

There is a chain here in the Richmond area called Ukrops. The "holier than thou" owners have a stronghold on the local market. They are responsible for Howard Stern being taken off the air several years ago in the area and just tipify the conservatism of the state. Basically, they think their stojan doesn't stink. I would LOVE to see Wegmans come closer and blow those guys out of the water. I just don't see it happening.

The wife (VA native) suggested this morning that we make the trip up to check out the new Wegmans in NOVA.  Let me first say how awesome that store is.  Let me next say that there were so many fuggin people there that they had police directing traffic in and out. 

They had everything that I was looking for (Italian Sausage patties, zweigles, sponge candy, webers mustard, salt potatoes).  Other things they had that I didn't buy, but know as regional - Sahlens hots, anchor bar sauce, boss sauce, chivetas and many other things that I'm sure I'm forgetting.  The only thing that I was looking for, but couldn't find was Kluski noodles.

Again, the store is INCREDIBLE.  Deli counter, butcher shop, seafood shop, bakery, cheese shop, wine department (over 1500 bottles), etc.  I could have stayed 2 more hours, but the 1 and 4 year old had enough.  Anyone in the region should check it out.

246987[/snapback]

Do they have Squirt?

My daughter has to bring it back from Blacksburg on breaks. The wife and I found it near Fredricksburg when we were passing through last month.

Can you find it in Richmond?

i assume it is more convenient than the one in sterling/dulles. that store is friggin awesome. got this note from wegmans regarding further expansion

We received your e-mail asking us to consider building a store in Richmond. Thank you for the compliment. We

are very pleased that you have enjoyed shopping in our stores enough to want to see a Wegmans in your community.

At this time we have no plans to build in Richmond, however, we have made our long range planning committee

aware of your suggestion.

What follows is a list of planned stores and potential sites:

Fairfax, VA, February 2005

Baltimore County (Hunt Valley), Maryland, August 2005

Mt. Laurel, NJ, Fall 2005

Cherry Hill, NJ, To Be Determined

Warrington, PA, To Be Determined

Turnersville (Washington Township), NJ, To Be Determined

East Hanover Township (near Morristown), NJ To Be Determined

Thank you again.

Kim

Consumer Affairs

It amazes me as well how average grocery stores are even around big cities. I wish I lived in DC when a Wegmans finally arrived in the area. Boston could really use one. Luckily I'm in Rochester and Buffalo about 10X per year so I get to go to the Wegmans Superstores--you're right, they are unbelieveable!

I wish they would build in southwest Connecticut. I don't live there but my wife is from there and every time we go down for a visit I'm stuck going to Pathmark and Stop n Shop and Shaws. God those places suck -- although I do wish Wegmans would take a cue from Stop n Shop and set up some self-serve checkout lines.

There is a chain here in the Richmond area called Ukrops.  The "holier than thou" owners have a stronghold on the local market.  They are responsible for Howard Stern being taken off the air several years ago in the area and just tipify the conservatism of the state.  Basically, they think their stojan doesn't stink.  I would LOVE to see Wegmans come closer and blow those guys out of the water.  I just don't see it happening.

247004[/snapback]

Cmon, Ukrops is a fine place if you are into cults and the like. No beer, how the hell they ever gonna get my business.

Good to know about the Wegmans in Fairfax, need my Sahlens fix. Also need to know if they carry Gourmay coffe filters for percolaters.

All towns should have a Wegmans.  It's amazing how much other grocery stores suck in comparison.  I had no idea until I started living around the country.

There isn't a decent grocery store west of Pennsylvania.

246992[/snapback]

Fortunately, yours is just one opinion. :P

http://www.junglejims.com/index.cfm

Fairfield OH, just north of cincinnati. Great prices, too...

Fortunately, yours is just one opinion. :P

http://www.junglejims.com/index.cfm

Fairfield OH, just north of cincinnati. Great prices, too...

248275[/snapback]

I meant chain but that certainly looks like an interesting place. Gotta love a store that carries squab but still looks like a warehouse.

I think the most disappointed I have ever been was when I went to California. My wife and I drove all over the Bay Area trying to find a decent grocery store and there just isn't one. Overpriced, dirty, limited selections. Pathetic.

No decent donuts, either.

I like Pooj went to the Dulles store a number of weeks ago and this weekend my daughter is swimming in Fairfax so it looks like we will be shopping at Wegmans. WooooHooooo.

Regarding the Ukrops thing, it's nice, most towns would love a Ukrops, but Wegmans would blow them out of the water.

I meant chain but that certainly looks like an interesting place.  Gotta love a store that carries squab but still looks like a warehouse.

I think the most disappointed I have ever been was when I went to California.  My wife and I drove all over the Bay Area trying to find a decent grocery store and there just isn't one.  Overpriced, dirty, limited selections.  Pathetic.

No decent donuts, either.

248286[/snapback]

Kroger's the big name here - it's their headquarters.

Hate 'em. They pull that "card" garbage which I refuse to participate in, are high-priced, and have the b*lls to sell "Select" grade rib roasts, t-bones, porterhouse etc. My wife stops at one occasionally on the way home from work, but I never shop there.

Kroger's the big name here - it's their headquarters.

Hate 'em. They pull that "card" garbage which I refuse to participate in, are high-priced, and have the b*lls to sell "Select" grade rib roasts, t-bones, porterhouse etc. My wife stops at one occasionally on the way home from work, but I never shop there.

248310[/snapback]

We have them here, too. Only they're called "Fred Meyer." The local chain "Carrs" got bought out a few years ago by Safeway. Just when you think it can't get worse, here comes a big chain to chip away another layer. :P

One thing I can add about Wegman's is that they are GREAT for high school kid's jobs and college scholarships.

Two of my kids have received over $7,500 (to date) in scholarships for college. You must be a full-time student, have a certain number of hours worked per year, and have a decent GPA.

They will adjust schedules for kids who are in sports and extracurriculars while in high school, and will work with the college students to make sure they get extra hours on breaks and summer to meet at least the minimum hours needed for the scholarship.

My youngest was able to move from cash register to video counter and she is doing well (free videos too). My son worked there 8 years and got the max scholarship each year of college - $1,500.

We take Wegmans for granted here, until we travel. :P

I also know a few "stay at home" Mom's who can work their schedules around school hours.

What can I say, it is just a really good store! :P

The best thing that ever happened to SoCal grocery stores, in my opinion, was the strike they had last year. All the major stores (Vons, Ralphs, etc.) were on strike, but the one independent non-union grocery store, Stater Bros., reaped all the benefits.

Stater never had much of a selection, which is how they kept their prices down vs. the big boys, but once everyone started going there, they diversified their offerings and now have a tremendous selection.

Vons and Ralphs, on the other hand, still struggle to this day and in many stores still have entire areas taped off where once they had specialty items.