The Johnson Thread

All of the other candidates have their own threads, and It looks like things are starting to heat up for America's largest third party, so here we are. Buckle up your tin foil helmets and hold on to your bitcoins, this is gonna be a fun one.

It is looking more and more like a sure thing that Gary Johnson once again will take the Libertarian Party nomination at the convention in Orlando next weekend, after accumulating 1.2 million votes in 2012. Yesterday he unofficially announced that former governor of Massachusetts, Bill Weld, will be his running mate. Weld has the connections to pull off some major fundraising, which is sorely needed by the LP and the Johnson campaign. In spite of the "R" next to his name, he was an electoral juggernaut in the deep blue state of Massachusetts. Some within the party are upset at the prospect of a Johnson/Weld ticket, claming that they are more political moderates than true Libertarians, especially following the "Nazi Cake" fiasco at the FBN debate, but many are willing to look past that in the name of opportunism. With the choices of the major parties, and many left looking for a "sensible alternative," it would be wise for them to look more like moderates than hardline pseudo-anarchists.

https://www.boston.com/news/politics/2016/05/18/former-massachusetts-gov-bill-weld-reportedly-confirmed-libertarian-candidate-gary-johnsons-vp

In fact, if recent polling is to be believed, the moderate card may just be grabbing people's attention. (quoted from another thread)

From that same Fox News poll, Johnson is at 10%.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/05/18/fox-news-poll-trump-tops-clinton-both-seen-as-deeply-flawed-candidates.html

And from Rasmussen's poll:
http://m.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/elections/election_2016/white_house_watch
"But Rasmussen Reports latest national telephone survey finds that 13% prefer some other candidate..."

Big news, because reaching 15% in the polls would mean an automatic invitation onto the circus debate stage with Hillary and Trump. Recently, an official in the Debate commission expressed that pollsters should be including the LP candidate, since the nominee will have ballot access in all 50 states.
I don't care if this thread is just me sitting here talking to myself. It gets lonely in this dark basement, and I need something to do while my bitcoin machine runs.
Bonus material: here's a video of a tweenaged boy talking about the Johnson campaign:

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The realistic benchmark is for Johnson to his 5% of the national vote which would grant the Libertarian Party access to the federal Presidential Election Campaign Fund grant.

In 2008, had Johnson achieved 5% he would have received around $9.5 million in federal funds for the operation of the 2012 campaign. To put this in perspective, Johnson raised $2.3 million for the 2008 campaign on his own.

This sort of cash infusion has the power to permanently break the two-party system in this country.

The realistic benchmark is for Johnson to his 5% of the national vote which would grant the Libertarian Party access to the federal Presidential Election Campaign Fund grant.

In 2008, had Johnson achieved 5% he would have received around $9.5 million in federal funds for the operation of the 2012 campaign. To put this in perspective, Johnson raised $2.3 million for the 2008 campaign on his own.

This sort of cash infusion has the power to permanently break the two-party system in this country.

What expect is for him to poll as high as 15%, however, when the time comes to pull the lever, many will panic and vote for one of the two big names out of fear or feeling of duty. I feel like 5% is a very realistic expectation, especially this year.

Also, he has only 35k in cash right now.

Edited by sodbuster

What expect is for him to poll as high as 15%, however, when the time comes to pull the lever, many will panic and vote for one of the two big names out of fear or feeling of duty. I feel like 5% is a very realistic expectation, especially this year.

Also, he has only 35k in cash right now.

On an upbeat note, he'd be able to handle 35 back to back to back emergencies.

This is the perfect year for Libertarians to raise their profile. Johnson was on Carolla's podcast this week and should do Stern. Hopefully that will open up more traditional media opportunities. Of course, Johnson has the classic downside of sounding way too stiff.