2/3 of US would struggle to cover $1,000 crisis

Could you cover a $1,000 Emergency Expense  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Could you cover a $1,000 Emergency Expense

• Yes
    • No

I just attributed personal finance mismanagement to idiocy by calling everyone idiots.

How is that NOT hedging?

I didn't mean your position on that particular matter I meant your lifestyle position as a miserable prick- you do not hedge you come right out an declare it with every post

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what is the opposite of hard work?

Being a Democrat.

Think about it. Your entire party is filled with people who are so lazy, they need to form a union and hire laywers to do their thinking for them. And they're so lazy they actually allow the unions to forcefully deduct dues from their paychecks to pay for the lawyers...or risk losing their jobs.

And in the end, you're so lazy that you actually will work for $10/hour to protest not earning $15/hour to interrupt people who ARE working hard in hopes of getting them to stop working hard so they can lose their job, join the union, and get paid less money to yell at people who work hard.

So yeah...the opposite of hard work is being a Democrat.

We all know there are a bunch of lazy !@#$ers out there, but even if you discount them there is still a very sizable chunk of the population who are apathetically content leading a life of economic mediocrity. Living a life working 30-40 hours a week, enough to pay the bills and for the occasional escape from it all, whether it be vacations, boozing, smoking out, what have you. Nothing wrong with that if that's the life you choose, but make no mistake for these people there is a lack of internal drive, risk taking and burning desire to advance themselves economically.

You either truly want it and do what it takes to get there or you don't.

I just attributed personal finance mismanagement to idiocy by calling everyone idiots.

How is that NOT hedging?

I didn't mean your position on that particular matter I meant your lifestyle position as a miserable prick- you do not hedge you come right out an declare it with every post

Tom's kind of like that Ancient Aliens guy. But instead of the Ancient Aliens guy's default answer being Aliens, Tom's default answer is Idiots

We all know there are a bunch of lazy !@#$ers out there, but even if you discount them there is still a very sizable chunk of the population who are apathetically content leading a life of economic mediocrity. Living a life working 30-40 hours a week, enough to pay the bills and for the occasional escape from it all, whether it be vacations, boozing, smoking out, what have you. Nothing wrong with that if that's the life you choose, but make no mistake for these people there is a lack of internal drive, risk taking and burning desire to advance themselves economically.

You either truly want it and do what it takes to get there or you don't.

Yes, and there are some people that work their asses off and get no where. They have kids early or just can't do college and end up in the grind of working at low pay dead end jobs. And they too are a very sizable chunk of the country. These people are one injury away from destitution

and some people have figured out that there is a happy medium and it's worth having a bit less in order to smell the roses once in a while. Billy Joel told us abvout it years ago:

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/billyjoel/movinoutanthonyssong.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UBpt1dya60

unfortunately, it gets more difficult by the day when wages stagnate and wealth concentrates at the top.

the need for laws like these http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/obama-overtime-pay_us_5727b961e4b0bc9cb0442db9illustrate where much of the problems lie.

Edited by birdog1960

unfortunately, it gets more difficult by the day when wages stagnate and wealth concentrates at the top.

How does a rising stock market, propped up by the Fed, affect workers' wages?

Yes, and there are some people that work their asses off and get no where. They have kids early or just can't do college and end up in the grind of working at low pay dead end jobs. And they too are a very sizable chunk of the country. These people are one injury away from destitution

I partially agree with this, however I think a decent % of these folks aren't willing to either a) invest in the time to learn a new skill and/or b) willing to take the risk to leave their steady pay and sacrifice some of their mental escapes to save up the money in order to do that.

Let's face it, it's not the way it used to be where in masses you could work a low to medium skilled job, work 9-5, own a home and save up some money for retirement. Generally speaking it takes more, you gotta learn new skills worker harder and/or more intelligently and be a little bit of a risk taker to advance yourself.

This argument is more aimed at your high school education/GED and in some cases Bachelor degree individuals. Even though to be honest, if you have a Bachelors degree or more you really should have little excuse to be able to advance yourself economically.

and some people have figured out that there is a happy medium and it's worth having a bit less in order to smell the roses once in a while. Billy Joel told us abvout it years ago:

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/billyjoel/movinoutanthonyssong.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UBpt1dya60

the need for laws like these http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/obama-overtime-pay_us_5727b961e4b0bc9cb0442db9illustrate where much of the problems lie.

Yes, I am a believer in finding a "happy medium", that money isn't the entire basis of how I find my happiness.

But this idea of "wealth concentrates at the top" being a reason for wages stagnating is complete and utter horseshit.

I partially agree with this, however I think a decent % of these folks aren't willing to either a) invest in the time to learn a new skill and/or b) willing to take the risk to leave their steady pay and sacrifice some of their mental escapes to save up the money in order to do that.

Let's face it, it's not the way it used to be where in masses you could work a low to medium skilled job, work 9-5, own a home and save up some money for retirement. Generally speaking it takes more, you gotta learn new skills worker harder and/or more intelligently and be a little bit of a risk taker to advance yourself.

This argument is more aimed at your high school education/GED and in some cases Bachelor degree individuals. Even though to be honest, if you have a Bachelors degree or more you really should have little excuse to be able to advance yourself economically.

I don't think school, college degrees and such are for everyone. They just can't get into that. And the job world really demands a degree for most good jobs now. Sure, there are countless people that spend everything at the bar or waste it gambling or whatever, but I see a lot of people working day in and day out at low end jobs and working hard. They deserve health care and other benefits to smooth them over troubled times. They are important too

Answer the question. How does the stock market affect wages?

He didn't say that

Having kids early is a choice.

If you're working a dead end job because you need to feed your kids and family, you chose to have a kids and family rather than dedicate yourself to finding something better than a dead end job. It's really that simple.

Edited by FireChan

So they had kids early which is likely the main reason why they are stuck in a dead end job. That was a choice. A very selfish and narrow minded choice. I'm curious as to why you feel they couldn't "do" college. Was it because their parents also made poor choices and couldn't afford to send them to even a junior college? Well that sucks but guess what? They will likely be perpetuating the chain of family poverty. Mostly due to poor choices which will rub off on their children. I have no sympathy for them. There are ways to get a pretty decent education for little or no cost. And there are ways to get more than a dead end job without a degree.

It's a powerful force of nature that does it

I will agree with you there. Stupidity is a powerful and natural force.