SI.com: Is Tyrod Taylor a One-Year Wonder?

That's a tough appraisal for a QB In his first starting NFL campaign which lasted through 1/31 at aloha stadium...

a 99.4 qb rating

5th in yds per completion

24 total td's 6 interceptions

a 63.7 completion %

for a first year starter I'm not sure what more you would want

See, I think that is the test to see if you pay him franchise qb money. Only question is if that's the best gameplan for the team?

Most definitely. You don't want to have to pay him $20M/year only to find out he's a caretaker QB.

Right now he's really more a "One Year Mehh"

Her really needs to do a lot more to be a wonder.

That was my first thought on seeing this thread that he wasn't really a "Wonder", but given the state of QB play in the league, it might be accurate. Average may be at the level of wonder in today's NFL.

a 99.4 qb rating

a 63.7 completion %

I would want him not to not lay eggs on late drives when we have a chance to win. I can think of 4 such opportunities. Patsies** twice, Washington, and the Eagles. He's gotta be better in those situations. If he had produced in half those, We'd have made the playoffs and none of the rest it would have mattered.

I wouldn't call last year's season a wonder, I'd call it a good start.

a 99.4 qb rating

a 63.7 completion %

Some on here want a 16-0 record with our defense from last year. Oh and 6 or 7 4th Qtr comebacks would be nice. Did I mention several 400 yard games! That's the standard of some on here.

On your #2 point above, we DO know that was part of it. Let's not forget that when they brought him into camp last year that he was playing against the second and third team defense for the Bills for exactly that reason. His first play time against first team defenses in games was the preseason last year. My single biggest fear is that he's not seeing the receivers in the middle of the field and mid-range throws because of his height and where he is positioning himself in the pocket.

How about a "saw him one year wonder what year two looks like"?

:thumbsup:

Roman's offense does not rely on the quick passing game. They run early and often to get the defense to creep up. Then when the safeties move up enough they send receivers deep. They did this a lot. You can tell by the very high yards per catch numbers. The dink, dunk 4500yds per year QB is not going to be found here. The run will be the focus and when opposing defenses try to send everyone to stop it, the pass will open up. At least this is what they did last year.

This year maybe they allow Taylor to pass more on 1st & 2nd down. I really don't see this happening much though if the run game keeps on clicking like it has been. I believe the Bills are intentionally building a bully of an offense and daring teams to try and stop the run. It's a good plan because the deep passing game was also clicking last year.

The TEs and RBs can also come out of the backfield for passes, but again those types of plays cannot be run too often. Taylor has been doing a great job not making too many mistakes. Why set him up to fail by making him try to be Tom Brady. That just isn't his game. I see a run first team like last year and if the defense can get back on track, I think it will work surprisingly well. A dominant defense will keep the offense on the field more.

he found success throwing it deep and running the ball. otherwise he was pretty lackluster. until he learns to stand in the pocket and deliver a pass over the middle and also run a successful 2 min offense then he is going to have a tough 2nd season

There were 3 guys splitting reps last preseason. It stands to reason that Tyrod would be on the learn while you earn plan last year to a great degree. Going into 2016 as the preordained starter, it is reasonable to expect more out of him.

One thing he was not is Meh. He did not always do what we would have hoped for, but most of the time the stuff he did do was more exciting than what we have seen in a long long time.

I would want him not to not lay eggs on late drives when we have a chance to win. I can think of 4 such opportunities. Patsies** twice, Washington, and the Eagles. He's gotta be better in those situations. If he had produced in half those, We'd have made the playoffs and none of the rest it would have mattered.

I wouldn't call last year's season a wonder, I'd call it a good start.

I am neither a "sold on Taylor" or a "he isn't the answer" guy, but I think that the measuring stick that you laid out is far too restrictive. Only the true Hall of Famers do much of anything in those situations and those guys are REALLY rare. Yes, you want some hope that you can come back down by > 3 with < 2 minutes left, but realize that defenses have a BIG advantage in those situations- especially against offenses that are designed as "run-first". The Bills are built to win with stout defenses protecting narrow leads or needing a late FG to win. They don't have the offensive fire-power to come back in the last 2 minutes needing a TD. That isn't just Tyrod Taylor, but includes the run-dominant/pass deficient OL and the WRs beyond Watkins.

If Taylor is good enough to keep the Bills in contention into tha last minutes of the game then he should be good enough for how this team is structured, provided - and this is a BIG caveat - he doesn't eat up too much cap space to allow them to field a dominant defense.

I think he can improve over last year, but i think we already know that he isn't the guy to pay $18+MM to and then have to weaken the defense. If he proves me wrong - I would be thrilled, but those guys are VERY rare.

Edited by OldTimer1960

I don't see any reason why Tyrod wouldn't improve other than all 31 other defensive coordinators have a book on him. Tyrod has the same offensive weapons and general talent minus Hogan who wasn't the biggest factor and Harvin who got hurt, he has a full season of being the starter under his belt and a full off-season to continue to work with his team as the entrenched starter, and it's also his second year in the offense which should help too.

I don't see regression likely but I also see a lack of progression as being possible too. So my biggest concern would be Tyrod having a season slightly below what he did last year and then the Bills have to decide on paying fairly big money to a average QB or letting Tyrod go and moving on. A full regression would at least signal the Bills to move on in a more clear and concise manner.

I'm optimistic based on the fact that he was a 1st time starter. I don't care about years in the league. I care about what you did when the key was handed to you. If I would have told you prior to last year what Tyrod's stats would be and that the Bills would lead the league in rushing, we'd have thought Super Bowl.

He isn't perfect and has some areas to work on as Bandit pointed out. There's no reason to think that he won't be as good or better in year 2. The defense HAS to improve meaning the team should. I don't think that he will ever be an MVP type of player but there's no reason to believe that he isn't a part of the rising QB's. He can have a career similar to Alex Smith (as an example) and maybe better. Both take care of the ball and can move. Tyrod is a better runner and makes more big plays, while Smith has a great grasp of his offense.

I'm a believer that it is so hard to find a QB in this league, if you have a middle of the league type of guy, you cherish it. I'm betting that TT proves to be at least that this year.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

@JohnMurphyShow

Which NFL QB has the most to prove in 2016? @SI_DougFarrar says it's the #Bills Tyrod Taylor. Farrar live with us tonight 810pm

Farrar: "Can he (Taylor) do it again and more?" (14:41)
SI.com’s Doug Farrar joined The John Murphy Show to discuss the recent series of articles on the site identifying the ‘Quarterbacks with the most to prove in 2016’ and why he thinks Bills QB Tyrod Taylor must prove he’s the long-term answer under center this season.