SI.com: Is Tyrod Taylor a One-Year Wonder?

@SInow

Is Tyrod Taylor a one-year wonder? @SI_DougFarrar on what's on the line for him in 2016 on.si.com

@SI_DougFarrar

For the record, I don't think he is. I think the Bills have themselves a defined franchise quarterback.

Quarterbacks with the most to prove in 2016: Buffalos Tyrod Taylor

http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/05/18/tyrod-taylor-buffalo-bills-quarterbacks-under-pressure?xid=si_social

Edited by YoloinOhio

The article rightly points out that Tyrod had some good numbers throwing the deep ball. I don't have any problems with that and wouldn't even try to disagree or say that he was just plain lucky. Personally, I think there's a couple of things that we need to see from him this year to prove that he isn't a one year wonder.

1 - Less time in the pocket waiting to throw the ball. Using a couple of our prior statues as examples, I believe that Tyrod hangs onto the ball too long before making a decision. As a mobile guy, he either needs to run for positive yards or throw it quicker than he does right now. He was sacked 8.7% of the time. That's significantly higher than Matt Cassel (7.1%) or even Kyle Orton (5.7%) before him. Ideally, he should be around where Cam Newton was last year at 6% or so.

2 - In that same vein of thought, I can't remember one intermediate passing route from last year. If he can't pick up those 8-12 yard slants in the middle of the field and make the throw, teams will figure him out. To get anywhere near the 3.3 TD/INT ratio he had last year throwing the ball, he'll need to expand upon the list of things he can do, which means making these intermediate throws.

3 - I guess this may be related too, but he has two game winning drives against a 3 win Titan team and an 8 win Texans team. Both were because of big plays and not methodically moving down the field. Twice last year, the Patriots took away the big play deep and twice they lost a game they could have won. Jacksonville, Kansas City, and Philadelphia also took care of their games late.

Taylor impressed the hell out of me last year, but still does have a lot to prove. Behind some really good numbers lies some issues that need to get fixed to prove that he belongs in the league as a starting quarterback.

@SInow

Is Tyrod Taylor a one-year wonder? @SI_DougFarrar on what's on the line for him in 2016 on.si.com

@SI_DougFarrar

For the record, I don't think he is. I think the Bills have themselves a defined franchise quarterback.

Quarterbacks with the most to prove in 2016: Buffalos Tyrod Taylor

http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/05/18/tyrod-taylor-buffalo-bills-quarterbacks-under-pressure?xid=si_social

Right now he's really more a "One Year Mehh"

Her really needs to do a lot more to be a wonder.

He certainly has a chance to prove that he isn't.

The progress has to come from 3 areas:

- The ball must come out quicker

- He needs to climb the pocket to safety instead of breaking it when the OTs give ground

- He needs to see the middle of the field better

SI.com: Is Tyrod Taylor a One-Year Wonder?

What is the definition of a "Wonder"? I would think a wonder would be someone who had a great season, but I would not put TT in that class. He was good last year, but far from great. I think he can be better and has the potential to be very good, if not great. But a wonder? i don't think so....

What is the definition of a "Wonder"? I would think a wonder would be someone who had a great season, but I would not put TT in that class. He was good last year, but far from great. I think he can be better and has the potential to be very good, if not great. But a wonder? i don't think so....

Good point. It would be more reserved for someone like Icky Woods. Perhaps for Qbs, maybe a guy like Vince Young.

We'll find out this year. Like I said, have him sling the ball to start the season and see if he can carry the offense.

See, I think that is the test to see if you pay him franchise qb money. Only question is if that's the best gameplan for the team?

Right now he's really more a "One Year Mehh"

Her really needs to do a lot more to be a wonder.

This. I was encouraged by his performance as a first year starter but he's far from a "wonder".

He certainly has a chance to prove that he isn't.

The progress has to come from 3 areas:

- The ball must come out quicker

- He needs to climb the pocket to safety instead of breaking it when the OTs give ground

- He needs to see the middle of the field better

I agree that these are the three areas of concern.

My big question is why are these all problems? I'm not sure if anyone knows that, but my fear is that is he simply doesn't think fast enough/have the ability to anticipate.

If he was a true rookie last year, I would be very, very high on him. The fact that he's been in the league for five years and still has these huge problem areas is what makes me think we've seen his ceiling - which, frankly, wasn't very high.

I agree that these are the three areas of concern.

My big question is why are these all problems? I'm not sure if anyone knows that, but my fear is that is he simply doesn't think fast enough/have the ability to anticipate.

If he was a true rookie last year, I would be very, very high on him. The fact that he's been in the league for five years and still has these huge problem areas is what makes me think we've seen his ceiling - which, frankly, wasn't very high.

Could be any number of things ranging from:

1) You being correct about his processing speed

2) Inexperience going against starting defenses and the game needing to slow down for him (something many first-time starters go through)

3) The offense being new to him, which would naturally slow down processing speed

4) The coaching staff drilling into him certain principles regarding how to set up his pre-snap reads

...among other possibilities.

If pressed to opine, I'd guess that it's more an issue of 2 and 3 above, but obviously that's just an observation. I do think that we'll find out for sure this year.

RGIII was a 1 year wonder.

Tyrod was not a 1 word "MEH" as mentioned earlier; he was more of a 1 year "interesting so far, I would like to see more."

Could be any number of things ranging from:

1) You being correct about his processing speed

2) Inexperience going against starting defenses and the game needing to slow down for him (something many first-time starters go through)

3) The offense being new to him, which would naturally slow down processing speed

4) The coaching staff drilling into him certain principles regarding how to set up his pre-snap reads

...among other possibilities.

If pressed to opine, I'd guess that it's more an issue of 2 and 3 above, but obviously that's just an observation. I do think that we'll find out for sure this year.

On your #2 point above, we DO know that was part of it. Let's not forget that when they brought him into camp last year that he was playing against the second and third team defense for the Bills for exactly that reason. His first play time against first team defenses in games was the preseason last year. My single biggest fear is that he's not seeing the receivers in the middle of the field and mid-range throws because of his height and where he is positioning himself in the pocket.

RGIII was a 1 year wonder.

Tyrod was not a 1 word "MEH" as mentioned earlier; he was more of a 1 year "interesting so far, I would like to see more."

How about a "saw him one year wonder what year two looks like"?

The article rightly points out that Tyrod had some good numbers throwing the deep ball. I don't have any problems with that and wouldn't even try to disagree or say that he was just plain lucky. Personally, I think there's a couple of things that we need to see from him this year to prove that he isn't a one year wonder.

1 - Less time in the pocket waiting to throw the ball. Using a couple of our prior statues as examples, I believe that Tyrod hangs onto the ball too long before making a decision. As a mobile guy, he either needs to run for positive yards or throw it quicker than he does right now. He was sacked 8.7% of the time. That's significantly higher than Matt Cassel (7.1%) or even Kyle Orton (5.7%) before him. Ideally, he should be around where Cam Newton was last year at 6% or so.

2 - In that same vein of thought, I can't remember one intermediate passing route from last year. If he can't pick up those 8-12 yard slants in the middle of the field and make the throw, teams will figure him out. To get anywhere near the 3.3 TD/INT ratio he had last year throwing the ball, he'll need to expand upon the list of things he can do, which means making these intermediate throws.

3 - I guess this may be related too, but he has two game winning drives against a 3 win Titan team and an 8 win Texans team. Both were because of big plays and not methodically moving down the field. Twice last year, the Patriots took away the big play deep and twice they lost a game they could have won. Jacksonville, Kansas City, and Philadelphia also took care of their games late.

Taylor impressed the hell out of me last year, but still does have a lot to prove. Behind some really good numbers lies some issues that need to get fixed to prove that he belongs in the league as a starting quarterback.

hard to be lucky from 60 yards away on the button over and over.

guys that run around a bit are going to have more sacks than those who don't. Cam Newton is 6ft 6 and the teams in his division have terrible defense specifically the pass rush

comparing to what the patriots did everyone is going to be on the short end, they don't lose a lot. Didnt play against Jacksonville