Three simple rules for people who read the Buffalo News

Saxum

Translation of article in Buffalo News from chief fiction writer Bucky Gleason.

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/05/17/power-take-three-simple-rules-for-following-the-bills/

Here are three simple rules for people who keep an eye on the Buffalo News coverage of Bills whether they’re being over paid to write for them (Bucky's case), parroting them (in most pathetic case) or laughing at them (in most cases).

Rule No. 1: Stop listening to them. What they say means nothing and often isn’t the truth, so it would be wise to disregard whatever comes from their mouths. It’s not just ignoring Bucky Gleason, which is a given. It’s muting anyone in the news organization who claims insider knowledge before providing evidence.

Rule No. 2: Watch what spins they do. After the writer says their inside source tells him something watch how it takes off on its own with it being cited as a source by other writers at News with the source inside being batted back and forth like a barely alive mouse between two cats.

Rule No. 3. Expect the worst. Does this really need to be said in Buffalo news? If something can go wrong, it usually does. I’m expecting the Buffalo News to write entire quota of falsified stories by first game, Next year, their forgiving readers will be back to breaking the first two rules.

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/05/17/power-take-three-simple-rules-for-following-the-bills/

Here are three simple rules for people who keep an eye on the Buffalo News coverage of Bills whether they’re being over paid to write for them (Bucky's case), parroting them (in most pathetic case) or laughing at them (in most cases).

Rule No. 1: Stop listening to them. What they say means nothing and often isn’t the truth, so it would be wise to disregard whatever comes from their mouths. It’s not just ignoring Bucky Gleason, which is a given. It’s muting anyone in the news organization who claims insider knowledge before providing evidence.

Rule No. 2: Watch what spins they do. After the writer says their inside source tells him something watch how it takes off on its own with it being cited as a source by other writers at News with the source inside being batted back and forth like a barely alive mouse between two cats.

Rule No. 3. Expect the worst. Does this really need to be said in Buffalo news? If something can go wrong, it usually does. I’m expecting the Buffalo News to write entire quota of falsified stories by first game, Next year, their forgiving readers will be back to breaking the first two rules.

With the pleasant exceptions of Ty Dunne and the feature articles by Tim Graham, the BN coverage of the Bills is opinion-ridden and frequently lazy, true.

But frankly, I had an epiphany when reading the article you linked: Bucky Gleason is a jaded, jerked-around fan who wants more than anything for the Bills to win and succeed, just like us joes.

I think where he's coming from is the news about Shaq Lawson's shoulder surgery and uncertain return timeline, so shortly following on the euphoria about drafting 3 starters and Whaley's quotes about how the medical staff cleared him and said he could play so he's not worried about the shoulder. I did predict Whaley would live, deservedly, in a falling credibility zone for that.

Thanks for your personal take. Some may view it as a waste of bandwidth.

Years ago I used to check the News online. They have a limit on articles before you have to sign up and pay. There's no shortage of info out there, so they lost the chance to get online ads in front of me and did me a favor all at the same time. I almost never click on the links. It's like ESPN Insider. Dirt cheap really, but why should I? It's not the money, it's the arrogant attitude. I'll live without.