Not a flattering assessment of Adolphus

"Right Now I think Washington is a situational pass rusher with limited upside and only a small chance of ever developing into a full time starter. His technique and pad level are poor, he lacks significant anchor at the line of scrimmage, and his hand usage is really disappointing for a player with his experience. The combine revealed that Washington is not the elite athlete we hoped he was, as the lineman tested in the 20th percentile in every athletic exercise except the 40 yard dash."

http://draftwire.usatoday.com/2016/03/07/2016-nfl-draft-scouting-report-ohio-state-dt-adolphus-washington/

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's an accurate one for who he was at OSU. Thankfully, I think some of his issues are things that are coachable. Get his conditioning right, that solves a lot. Not every guy strikes a balance in college between preparation and studying. The good news with his athletic testing is that he tested similarly to Cedric Thornton. It took Thornton a couple of years to crack the rotation in Philly but he's been a productive run defender if nothing else. It shouldn't preclude Washington from being an effective part of the Bills DL.

I see the logic behind the pick (and obviously John Blake loves the guy). I just think if you're going for a 3-Tech hoping to teach him 5-Tech, Javon Hargrave was a better prospect to go after.

Edited by Blokestradamus

It's an accurate one for who he was at OSU. Thankfully, I think some of his issues are things that are coachable. Get his conditioning right, that solves a lot. Not every guy strikes a balance in college between preparation and studying. The good news with his athletic testing is that he tested similarly to Cedric Thornton. It took Thornton a couple of years to crack the rotation in Philly but he's been a productive run defender if nothing else. It shouldn't preclude Washington from being an effective part of the Bills DL.

I see the logic behind the pick (and obviously John Blake loves the guy). I just think if you're going for a 3-Tech hoping to teach him 5-Tech, Javon Hargrave was a better prospect to go after.

I don't see the logic when we REALLY need a RT and there were better DT's available. I bet Zimmer ends ups better than him.

Ok, so he has trouble holding up when two 300+ guys are blocking him at the same time? I can see that and understand the plight. His balance does seem to be off on occasion, but it almost seemed like he was worried about his legs getting rolled up or pinned. Could it be the thought of getting injured in the back of his mind before getting to the Pro level? Who knows. His abilities against the run seem to be more of a technique issue than an inability. Balance, those initial movements off of the snap, getting in there with our strength and conditioning team, all these things can be coached or worked upon. What you can't teach is the natural ability to get after a QB from the interior and he's got that. I think he landed in a great spot with Kyle and Marcell to take him under their wing. Adolphus will be a solid contributor on the DL at the least and has the potential to be much more.

I don't see the logic when we REALLY need a RT and there were better DT's available. I bet Zimmer ends ups better than him.

The logic (as I look at it) follows what I've said for a while. The DT pick should've been a 3-Tech capable player given the amount of time spent in sub packages. Washington is that, not that I particularly like him.

I don't think the value at RT really matched up at any point in the draft. After Decker went early, there were maybe 2-3 guys in the rest of the class that served a purpose with value.

He is supposed to be a disruptor to get pressure right up the middle on passing downs. Based on the drafting record of Whaley and the hit/miss percentage he has, which has to be among the best in the NFL, I'll always err on the side of Whaley until proven otherwise. And if it is a miss, it's a miss...it happens, look at how many misses other teams have had over the last 3 years

Edited by matter2003

He shows an assortment of pass rushing moves. Great feet and balance for a man his size. I saw him contributing in our 3rd down package year one with upside to maybe get some more reps on non passing downs and progress into a potential every down player as time elapsed. I was thinking DE all the way as I don't see him being the type of guy to anchor as a 3-4 NT. When Whaley said "we drafted 3 day one starters" sort of caught me by surprise. Then again, he could be talking rotational starters. With our DL you have several players who could line up at End or NT. Dareus and Williams have both done the 3-4 DT/DE shuffle. On pass rushing downs specifically, you could have Adolphus/Dareus/Williams interchangeable across the entire DL. I expect we will see Rex take advantage of that. We have tons of flexibility with our roster on the defensive side.

Edited by KzooMike

He shows an assortment of pass rushing moves. Great feet and balance for a man his size. I saw him contributing in our 3rd down package year one with upside to maybe get some more reps on non passing downs and progress into a potential every down player as time elapsed. I was thinking DE all the way as I don't see him being the type of guy to anchor as a 3-4 NT. When Whaley said "we drafted 3 day one starters" sort of caught me by surprise. Then again, he could be talking rotational starters. With our DL you have several players who could line up at End or NT. Dareus and Williams have both done the 3-4 DT/DE shuffle. On pass rushing downs specifically, you could have Adolphus/Dareus/Williams interchangeable across the entire DL. I expect we will see Rex take advantage of that. We have tons of flexibility with our roster on the defensive side.

this , along with what was mentioned by H2o upstream. being mentored by two pro bowlers should accelerate his growth.

To me that's just tearing down a guy by cherry picking anything bad and nothing good. Kinda what Gruden did with Shaq.

I think Jon Ledyard is better than that. There's a lot of bad tape out there from Adolphus. It's not really cherry picking as much as highlighting a continuous issue that adversely affects his chances of succeeding. I decided not to write him up because my notes on him were brutal at times, it felt like I would've been sticking the boot in on him.

Jon doesn't bite his tongue when he dislikes a prospect. I found that out when we spoke about the likes of Jerald Hawkins. It's hard to write nice things about someone you dislike.

Could someone refresh my memory....what round was Kyle WIlliams drafted?

WHen I watched Washington's tape the thing that suck out to me is I really wanted him to be a better run stop guy then he showed on tape......for his size he should be a monster.

but

He does get after the passer.....which to me means he does something well and the run defense can be coached.

I'm sure, like me, you've read or seen several reports on the Bills draftees, and they're all over the place, particularly on Washington, Seymour and Williams. Last year they were scratching their heads over Darby and Karlos. Turned out fine in my book. So if these self-anointed "experts" disagree so much, I think I'll just leave my trust in Whaley & Co. And, FTR, do not underestimate the value of Blake's involvement with both Washington and Zimmer.

I think Jon Ledyard is better than that. There's a lot of bad tape out there from Adolphus. It's not really cherry picking as much as highlighting a continuous issue that adversely affects his chances of succeeding. I decided not to write him up because my notes on him were brutal at times, it felt like I would've been sticking the boot in on him.

Jon doesn't bite his tongue when he dislikes a prospect. I found that out when we spoke about the likes of Jerald Hawkins. It's hard to write nice things about someone you dislike.

ledyard is pretty good.

I think Bills see something very coachable. has flexibility on the line. But surely they know Adolphus will need plenty of time with Blake.

Worth the shot imo. ps i was surprised at the pick at that time

To me that's just tearing down a guy by cherry picking anything bad and nothing good. Kinda what Gruden did with Shaq.

Gotta take the good with the bad. Makes us more aware when watching these guys play ball.

I had read, very good hands and poor leverage against the run. i think that is a brief but balanced perception pre draft

ledyard is pretty good.

I think Bills see something very coachable. has flexibility on the line. But surely they know Adolphus will need plenty of time with Blake.

Worth the shot imo. ps i was surprised at the pick at that time

I'm willing to give them time to work on him. I don't know the guy, his work ethic, practice habits. The Bills are more informed on if he's coachable than I am. When a DL coach likes someone, I do wonder if it's because they have an ego moment to think they can rescue him.

Instant reaction to the pick for me was laughter. After Lawson/Ragland, I knew I had to disagree with a pick at some point. I can only hope my thoughts on him were wrong.