Obama's Foreign Policy

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NOBEL PEACE PRIZE UPDATE:

Adrift in their own land, Afghanistan’s displaced see their population swell.

More than 1.2 million Afghans are now displaced – a twofold increase in three years. The report, made public late Monday, said that more than 118,000 have fled in the first four months of 2016 alone.

“Those forced to flee their homes, by and large, lived in squalid conditions and were often housed in makeshift shelters with no protection from the hot summers and cold winters,” the report said of the nearly 1,000 people who are counted as newly displaced each day.

Those who live in makeshift camps that dot the nation’s urban centers have found themselves in a state of un-ending limbo.

Qand Agha, 32, has spent the last seven years in Kabul’s Chaman-e Babrak camp, which houses more than 700 other displaced families.

The settlement — defined by simple mud houses, open sewers and dirt roads — stands in contrast to its glitzy neighbors.

Eight years ago a young presidential candidate named Barack Obama gave a speech in which he called Afghanistan “A war that we have to win.

NOBEL PEACE PRIZE UPDATE:

Adrift in their own land, Afghanistan’s displaced see their population swell.

Eight years ago a young presidential candidate named Barack Obama gave a speech in which he called Afghanistan “A war that we have to win.

Meanwhile, in a destabilized Middle East and Northern Africa:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/cutaneous-leishmaniasis-disfiguring-tropical-disease-sweeps-across-middle-east-a7056741.html

A disfiguring tropical disease is sweeping across the Middle East as a combination of heavy conflict and a breakdown of health care facilities in Isis-occupied areas leaves swathes of people vulnerable to the illness.

Cutaneous leishmaniasis is caused by a parasite in the blood stream transmitted through sand fly bites. The disease can result in horrible open sores as well as disfiguring skin lesions, nodules or papules.

Leishmaniasis has been endemic in Syria for centuries and was once commonly known as the “Aleppo evil”. However, as Syria’s civil war continues the resulting refugee crisis has triggered a catastrophic outbreak of the disease.

You mean the world isn't peaces and cream like back before Obama? Gees, what's easier than fixing the middle east? Next he won't cure cancer for us

Lets cut Mr. Obama some slack............

Maybe Pres. Obama has seemed so bumbling in foreign affairs because our enemies knew our plans before he did:

How EmailGate Weakened America’s National Security: It’s safe to say that Moscow, Beijing and Tehran know a lot more about Hillary Clinton than the American public does.

from the Observer

• 2 weeks later...

ANN ALTHOUSE: President Obama’s Sermon Of Two Perversions.

“This puts the President of the United States in the position of saying what is orthodox in religion. (I’m reminded — and this is Flag Day — of the Supreme Court’s Pledge of Allegiance case with the great line: ‘If there is any fixed star in our constitutional constellation, it is that no official, high or petty, can prescribe what shall be orthodox in politics, nationalism, religion, or other matters of opinion…’.) But that’s his approach and he’s sticking to it.”

Obama Clings to His Unsuccessful Counterterror Strategy. (Maybe he doesn't think it's unsuccessful)

Angry President Obama Tears Into Donald Trump Like Never Before

Yep, I'd be angry also if I was shown to be so weak and ineffectual on terrorism every few months.

Edited by B-Man

Obama's foreign policy is the same as his domestic policy which is to turn America into a third world country.

This is a real plan proposed by liberals to fight illegal immigration.

The idea is to make Mexico the same as America, so they won't want to cross the border. It was the rationalization for NAFTA.

They sold it as making Mexico better, but it still works if it makes the United States worse.

Can someone please enlighten me if this is normal procedure at the State department

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/06/17/world/middleeast/syria-assad-obama-airstrikes-diplomats-memo.html

More than 50 State Department diplomats have signed an internal memo sharply critical of the Obama administrations policy in Syria, urging the United States to carry out military strikes against the government of President Bashar al-Assad to stop its persistent violations of a cease-fire in the countrys five-year-old civil war.

Can someone please enlighten me if this is normal procedure at the State department

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/06/17/world/middleeast/syria-assad-obama-airstrikes-diplomats-memo.html

More than 50 State Department diplomats have signed an internal memo sharply critical of the Obama administrations policy in Syria, urging the United States to carry out military strikes against the government of President Bashar al-Assad to stop its persistent violations of a cease-fire in the countrys five-year-old civil war.

Given that it involves a back-channel communication set up during the Vietnam War for senior State Dept. officials to voice consent...yeah, sounds like normal procedure. Never seen it anywhere I've worked, but State's a very different animal than most government departments.

Probably not normal to have 50 people sign the memo, though. Or leak it to the NYT. Or have senior diplomatic staff advocate for military action (since military intervention usually means diplomacy has failed, and they !@#$ed up.)

A direct attack against Assad would also be an attack against his ally Putin and Russia ?

What would happen to 2 million Christians in Syria if Assad is overthrown?

I thought Assad and Putin were fighting against ISIS among other Sunni

Edited by ALF

A direct attack against Assad would also be an attack against his ally Putin and Russia ?

What would happen to 2 million Christians in Syria if Assad is overthrown?

I thought Assad and Putin were fighting against ISIS among other Sunni

Putin is fighting anyone who opposes Assad. It's in Russia's interest to keep ME in a perpetual fighting state. Because once the fighting stops in ME, all the fighters from the ...'stans will come back and cause havoc in the motherland.

Probably not normal to have 50 people sign the memo, though. Or leak it to the NYT. Or have senior diplomatic staff advocate for military action (since military intervention usually means diplomacy has failed, and they !@#$ed up.)

I'll never understand why stuff like this takes place. Everyone who pays even the slightest bit of attention knows how Barry's Sally Fields Foreign Policy works; we stay out of every conflict outside the US until the world likes us. If you aren't going to vote in the US any time soon, you're on your own.

Besides...why try to save a people being gassed when you have more important things to do...like sue the Little Sisters of the Poor.

I don't know who the 51 are, but they clearly haven't been paying attention to their leader.

I'll never understand why stuff like this takes place. Everyone who pays even the slightest bit of attention knows how Barry's Sally Fields Foreign Policy works; we stay out of every conflict outside the US until the world likes us. If you aren't going to vote in the US any time soon, you're on your own.

Besides...why try to save a people being gassed when you have more important things to do...like sue the Little Sisters of the Poor.

I don't know who the 51 are, but they clearly haven't been paying attention to their leader.

He's got their backs. He's leading from his behind.

FOREIGN POLICY DISARRAY: Austin Bay: As Assad Continues to Wipe Out Syria, State Dept. Dissenters Confront Obama.

Dissenting State Department officials are demanding President Barack Obama wage war on the Assad dictatorship—which is a short step away from demanding regime change.

Late on June 16 The Wall Street Journal reported that the “near collapse” of the current ceasefire had spurred 51 “mid-to high-level State Department officers involved with advising on Syria policy” to sign a “dissent channel cable” calling on the Obama Administration to target Syria’s Assad regime with repeated “military strikes.”

The President isn’t doing his job. People are starting to point that out.

White House refuses Benghazi questions for Obama

The White House and the House Select Committee on Benghazi are at a standoff over whether President Barack Obama should answer a series of questions about the 2012 terrorist attack in Libya that left four Americans dead.

Neil Eggleston, counsel to the president, blasted the committee for sending the president a list of questions about the attack — an inquiry the administration deemed inappropriate and a partisan attempt to frame the White House as uncooperative.

Eggleston has encouraged Obama not to answer the committee’s questions “because of the implications of his response on the constitutional separation of powers,” according to a letter sent Saturday to Chairman Trey Gowdy (R-S.C.) and obtained by POLITICO.

“If the president were to answer your questions, his response would suggest that Congress has the unilateral power to demand answers from the president about his official acts,” the letter reads.