Housing Boom: Buffalo now ranked #1 housing market in nation

Yeah I am trying to buy a house in B'lo right now. Desirable areas have little for sale and what goes on the market turns very fast. The problem is that desirable locations are only very small pockets. I will say this, the craftsmanship that went into a considerable amount of housing stock in B'lo is exceptional. The homes may be small by today's standards but the workmanship in brick, stone and wood will just blow you away. Thank goodness many of these homes are being restored and not just mowed down.

To be fair, it had nowhere to go but up.

Everyone heard you moved out?

Yeah I am trying to buy a house in B'lo right now. Desirable areas have little for sale and what goes on the market turns very fast. The problem is that desirable locations are only very small pockets. I will say this, the craftsmanship that went into a considerable amount of housing stock in B'lo is exceptional. The homes may be small by today's standards but the workmanship in brick, stone and wood will just blow you away. Thank goodness many of these homes are being restored and not just mowed down.

Best thing is to have the house built for you especially if you can do some of the work yourself. Most of the construction industry is lowest price ingredients except for "show" items.

My brother builds houses and built one in Blasdell not far from McKinley Mall; had lots of people coming to see him asking where he got his architect degree. He has not have one but learned his skills in Navy as Seabee and built while going to school and working as lead on building and other developments. He sold it to one of the people admiring it and now has has house near stadium he also built. He'd supervise crews for the bones and do all of the rest himself as he had time.

I left in 1970. When I left, Buffalo had a huge industrial/rail base, and NYS has 45 elected representatives in Washington. Now NYS is down to the high 20's in congress. NYC and Long Island didn't miss a beat but the rest of the state took it in the shorts!

To a lesser degree that's still going on, except for the NYC metro area. I think it would/could reverse IF the tax liability were eased considerably. That being said, the taxman is doing the happy dance now that property values are recovering. I live in Virginia and have to laugh at all those "NY State is open for business" adds. Outside of a secure employment opportunity, there's no reason for anyone to move to NY state, especially Northern, Central and Western NY..

I'd love to see BUF recover but without the factories and the workers, it's not very likely..

I left in 1970. When I left, Buffalo had a huge industrial/rail base, and NYS has 45 elected representatives in Washington. Now NYS is down to the high 20's in congress. NYC and Long Island didn't miss a beat but the rest of the state took it in the shorts!

To a lesser degree that's still going on, except for the NYC metro area. I think it would/could reverse IF the tax liability were eased considerably. That being said, the taxman is doing the happy dance now that property values are recovering. I live in Virginia and have to laugh at all those "NY State is open for business" adds. Outside of a secure employment opportunity, there's no reason for anyone to move to NY state, especially Northern, Central and Western NY..

I'd love to see BUF recover but without the factories and the workers, it's not very likely..

You are exactly the downstate type why some leave NYS whether you were from downstate or not you have their attitude. There were roads in upstate NY which congress allocated money for and NYC area politicians stated that money would be better used feathering their beds despite money not available there.

http://www.twcnews.com/nys/buffalo/news/2016/05/7/buffalo--erie-county--housing--elmwood-village.html

Elmwood Village zip code has seen housing values increase 100% since 2004

So not only does it cost you more to buy a house in NYS than other places, but your property taxes are some of the highest in the nation as well.

Good job, I think?

Um. thsi survey is flawed.......

The poll’s results are decided by online voters who are asked to rank their favorite destinations according to 65 criteria such as architecture, restaurants, craft breweries and public parks. Visit Buffalo Niagara promoted the survey on social media and urged its followers to cast ballots in favor of Buffalo. The survey ran online from October through April.

It quotes one voter at the top of the article, a marketing executive from Houston named Judi Griggs who grew up locally. “I love to bring West Coast and European friends back to my town,”

Edited by CountDorkula

Um. thsi survey is flawed.......

The poll’s results are decided by online voters who are asked to rank their favorite destinations according to 65 criteria such as architecture, restaurants, craft breweries and public parks. Visit Buffalo Niagara promoted the survey on social media and urged its followers to cast ballots in favor of Buffalo. The survey ran online from October through April.

It quotes one voter at the top of the article, a marketing executive from Houston named Judi Griggs who grew up locally. “I love to bring West Coast and European friends back to my town,”

Why are you hating?

I love my hometown but a vacation destination it's not. Unless your dream vacation involves inexpensive sporting events and copious amounts of alcohol. For that Buffalo can't be beat.

I love my hometown but a vacation destination it's not. Unless your dream vacation involves inexpensive sporting events and copious amounts of alcohol. For that Buffalo can't be beat.

It literally says in the article that the Buf/Nia visitors center encouraged people from Buffalo to stuff the ballot box.

What do you mean? The weather is gr8 this weekend for mid-May!

Hey... Who's laughing! I am suffering 500 miles to the west! :D

Right on Dave Thomas sidekick