Establishing the standard of the "Shutdown Cornerback"

I found this a great read, especially as we discuss the role of the CB in Rex D, which the author references when Revis played for him and how the structure of the defensive scheme impacts the narrative.

http://presnapreads.com/2016/05/10/patrick-peterson-psr-cornerback-analysis/

In reality we should stop comparing cornerbacks to Sherman or Revis. We should stop labelling the best or most productive cornerback from a given season as a shutdown cornerback. We dont compare every half decent tight end to Rob Gronkowski and we dont compare every half decent wide receiver to Randy Moss. Its time to show more nuance at the cornerback position by embracing legitimate analysis instead of talking up every Joe Haden, Patrick Peterson or Josh Norman that attracts our attention.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Good read, thanks for posting.

In my way of thinking, given today's liberalized rules governing coverage, there is simply no such thing as a shutdown CB. I haven't bought into that concept in some time; not since Sanders was in his prime.

For me, the measure of a great CB is his ability to play all the various man schemes and zone schemes equally well. Given all the diversity in passing schemes and the demand on defenses to match accordingly, it is mandatory in today's league.

GO BILLS!!!

Good read, thanks for posting.

In my way of thinking, given today's liberalized rules governing coverage, there is simply no such thing as a shutdown CB. I haven't bought into that concept in some time; not since Sanders was in his prime.

For me, the measure of a great CB is his ability to play all the various man schemes and zone schemes equally well. Given all the diversity in passing schemes and the demand on defenses to match accordingly, it is mandatory in today's league.

GO BILLS!!!

I agree with your measure of a great CB. 👍

However, I like how the article approaches the term "shut down corner." CBs who can man up on any receiver and win the majority of the time, effectively shutting down that one player. Anyone who can do this against the opponent's best receiver eliminates a major weapon. Allocating one man to do that is a great advantage for a defense.

Those guys certainly still exist.

I'm interested I'm Gilmore's success rate.

Same Goat, and Darby after this year in his second year. Keeping these two is paramount to our defense. We have cheap labor in the three draft picks, Kyle Williams is probably in his last year as much as I hate to think of him retiring, and we purged Mario's. We can afford Gilmore, and I believe Rex will have an influence on Whaley to get it done.

I agree with your measure of a great CB. 👍

However, I like how the article approaches the term "shut down corner." CBs who can man up on any receiver and win the majority of the time, effectively shutting down that one player. Anyone who can do this against the opponent's best receiver eliminates a major weapon. Allocating one man to do that is a great advantage for a defense.

Those guys certainly still exist.

I'm interested I'm Gilmore's success rate.

Not sure about 2015, but as a rookie his success rate was 76%--about 5 percentage points below Sherman.

http://presnapreads.com/2013/06/18/pre-snap-reads-tier-1-cornerback-rankingsroundup/

Not sure about 2015, but as a rookie his success rate was 76%--about 5 percentage points below Sherman.

http://presnapreads.com/2013/06/18/pre-snap-reads-tier-1-cornerback-rankingsroundup/

And yet, even in his rookie year, he was asked to do something Sherman doesn't: change sides of the field and follow #1 WRs. Gilmore has been critically underappreciated, even by his own fan base.

And yet, even in his rookie year, he was asked to do something Sherman doesn't: change sides of the field and follow #1 WRs. Gilmore has been critically underappreciated, even by his own fan base.

This is something Bills fans indulge in too often in my humble opinion. Even I have over critiqued Gilbert

The above is SO true. This is why I consider pass rush to be much more important than the secondary. Even if a young Mel Blount was playing today, he could only cover 1 receiver at a time. Teams now use 4 or 5 wide sets on a regular basis. Pass rush prevents completions and causes turnovers.

It's too bad there doesn't seem to be a way to keep track of coverage sacks, plays on which the coverage lasts long enough for the pocket to collapse. This is a vital area in which a good corner earns his money. That said, a professional receiver will get open given the time. Pass rush is the most important way to prevent this.

Jmo.

I havent looked it up but is there not a direct correlation to RR defenses and the quality of the starting corners?

How did you like our corners in 2015? And how did you like our defense? Edited by Bill from NYC