SI's Greg Bedard Grades the 2013 NFL Draft

@si_nfl

Three years out from the treacherous 2013 NFL draft, @GregABedard grades each team’s class: http://on.si.com/1UBGcRc

CiGTb_OW0AAz0SK.jpg
GRADE D Buffalo Bills (Doug Whaley, Doug Marrone)

Average Career Approximate Value: 7.2.

First-round pick: QB EJ Manuel (No. 16).

Best pick: WR Robert Woods (second round).

Worst pick: Manuel.

Comment: Three years later, it’s hard to believe Manuel was the 16th pick. That’s hard to recover from, but Woods has softened the blow. This draft would have looked better had second-round pick LB Kiko Alonso not gotten hurt and now bounced around to two other teams.

Looks like Bedard also doesn't know about Buddy Nix being GM when the draft occurred., EJ turned out to be a bad 1st round pick, but at least they traded down to pick up an additional 2nd round selection. Kiko yielded Shady McCoy via trade and that should be factored into the grade IMO.

That whole draft class gets an F from me.

Just a brutal all-around crop of players.

Yep. It was an overall bad draft class which is exactly why so many 2013 1st round picks didn't have their 5th year option exercised.

I'm not so sure about this guy's analysis. We had a QB in his first year as a starter go 8-6, 20 td's to 6 int's, rank right near the top of the league in passer rating and YPA, lead the league in rushing for a qb and make the pro bowl, yet Gugny insists that Manuel is a better qb than said qb right now. So by that reasoning, Manuel must be pretty good.

That whole draft class gets an F from me.

Just a brutal all-around crop of players.

Robert Woods has really disappointed me. The qb play certainly hasn't enhanced his production but overall he didn't come close to playing up to his draft status.

Robert Woods has really disappointed me. The qb play certainly hasn't enhanced his production but overall he didn't come close to playing up to his draft status.

Ehh. It's not like he drops footballs. If you put him in a high-functioning passing offense he'd be just fine. Let's see what he does this year as he is more relied upon in the passing game. But I'm not gonna adamantly disagree with you.

The class resulted in 2 initial starters (Woods, Alonso), should've been a 3rd starter (Hopkins) and a couple of depth guys (Duke/Gragg). Kiko paved the way for Shady. Robey from the UDFA class too (as well as legendary QB Jeff Tuel).

Obviously, EJ was a huge error but they went the right way with some picks.

That was a miserable draft. A few good players popped out (like Ansah) but even he was a question at the time.

From the top 32 picks, the guys that ended up good are:

Lane Johnson, Ziggy Ansah, Sheldon Richardson, Star Lotulelei, Kyle Long, Tyler Eifert, Des Trufant, Sharrif Floyd, Xavier Rhodes, Nuk Hopkins, Travis Frederick. I remember the Frederick pick getting so much criticism that night. :lol:

Lane Johnson, Ziggy Ansah, Sheldon Richardson, Star Lotulelei, Kyle Long, Tyler Eifert, Des Trufant, Sharrif Floyd, Xavier Rhodes, Nuk Hopkins, Travis Frederick. I remember the Frederick pick getting so much criticism that night. :lol:

I bolded the guys that I consider elite at their positions. Trufant would have been next for me. All of the people that you listed have turned into good players.

Tyler Eifert was a nice pick-up for the Bengals.

Compare him to other 2nd option receivers then come back and talk to us

I'm not comparing him to anyone. That's not the issue. What I am saying is that he has been a disappointment for us, especially as a second round pick. If you want to categorize him as being a productive player that is fine. I'm saying so far he has performed below expectations.

Edited by JohnC

I'm not comparing him to anyone. That's not the issue. What I am saying is that he has been a disappointment for us, especially as a second round pick. If you want to categorize him as being a productive player that is fine. I'm saying so far he has performed below expectations.

This is mostly true.

When you dig into it, as a fan you might hope he will shine a bit this coming season second year in with Roman and TT.

Manual was nearly a forced pick from previous regimes and Buddy's lack of prioritization in a timely manner for QB