The pass rush and linining up in different places

Maybe but It's a conclusion I've drawn from what I saw and an assertion I believe I can argue.

Mario setting the edge and verbalizing scheme misfits repeatedly, Dareus... The same objections voiced after watching him jogging in place after the snap eating space instead penetrating and wreaking havoc, players out of position, linebackers late in pursuit or failing to get pressure. The idea that dropping ends and tackles into coverage even 5 snaps per game is 'confusing' to QBs who has seen film on it all day long... And finally the results- His failure was taking a top 5 defensive unit and fixing it into a top 25 defensive unit. That's a failure of some sort.

On top of that, the 3 picks from this draft plus who they let go tell me that they knew they didn't have the right guys to run his scheme.

So while I'm not privey to much more than a bunch of games and varying reports... This pattern is convincing to me so far

It was a mess however, the new rooks, and knowing that last seasons failure falls squarely on him has to motivate Rex to get his **** together. He knows if he blows it him and his brother will have no jobs and some people really make magic happen when their back is against the wall.This and the draft has given me new hope.

Lol, defensive drop off in every category with the same personnel, what changed?

Yay. Let's have this conversation once again.

He's the head coach and coaches the defense. Who else is there to blame?

Yea, I'll be so pissed at Rex if we are 11-5 and our defense is average. You got me.

You will be absolutely livid if we go 16-0 with a less than stellar defense. No sense trying to deny that. You have made that clear time and again. It's not a question of anyone "getting" you, you keep offering it up yourself with your ceaseless crusade. You are a martyr at the cross of Rex Ryan's schitty defense.

Have you decided not to explain the difference between a rose colored opinion and a crap colored opinion? I was really looking forward to your insight on that.

GO BILLS!!!

Do some reading up on some of the talent Buffalo has brought in. Nearly every defensive player drafted and undrafted has a knack for getting to the QB. But there is a trend I am seeing. Until today, I mostly ignored Justin Zimmer but this kid is an athletic freak who lives in the opponents backfield. When I read some info about him lining up all over ......

Count me in on what the Bills are building on defense. You can blather on about Rex's scheme being too old for today's NFL. I get it. Rex gets on my nerves too, but don't forget to look around and see for yourself what is being done. This is going to be a fun season to watch. When these guys are all on the same page and begin playing fast, they are going to be extremely dominant.

Seems like every year the defense looks great on paper.

It was a mess however, the new rooks, and knowing that last seasons failure falls squarely on him has to motivate Rex to get his **** together. He knows if he blows it him and his brother will have no jobs and some people really make magic happen when their back is against the wall.This and the draft has given me new hope.

I'd love to know if the new rooks came from Whaley saying look, you clearly need an x,y and z, or Rex identifying what he needed and then drafting as such. I'd also love to know if they had the same discussion last year and decided to make due or if they really belived they had the right talent at the right spots.

I'd love to know if the new rooks came from Whaley saying look, you clearly need an x,y and z, or Rex identifying what he needed and then drafting as such. I'd also love to know if they had the same discussion last year and decided to make due or if they really belived they had the right talent at the right spots.

Same here. There could be an argument for either side with the way the draft fell and the players we got. I think last year they tried and made due with what they had to work with. I mean look at our LBs last year we had no depth same for Safety and WR after Harvin went out. For a run 1st team our RB core was seriously lacking. I laugh lookin back at us starting Heron, Ciere wood, and blankety blank when McCoy and Karlos were injured. Also the games where our Wrs consisted of Woods and Hogan as the #1 and #2. Injuries were a nightmare and exposed we had NO DEPTH whatsoever at important positions. I think im more concerned about injuries than Rexs scheme this season.

However, the odds of Zimmer and Striker both making the team, much less seeing playing time is remote.

I'm not so sure about that. I think the odds are with them that at least one makes the final team while the other goes to the practice squad.

He supposedly realized that excuse er ah revelation after the first pats game.

And several players independently and indirectly refuted that with their own commentary.

But either way they have 'Rex type' players now from the top 3 pick so can't wait to watch the defensive genii back at work.

Link?

Whether you love or hate it they are all in on Rex's defense. I still hold a grudge that last years defensive debacle resulted from the inability of a "defensive mastermind" to bend his scheme to fit the talent because he was either trying to and failing, or stubbornly clinging to his own design despite the mismatched roster.

I think there is more to it than that. People like to say that his scheme was the problem but in an effort not to screw up a good thing, Rex tried to keep many aspects of the scheme the same and marry the prior year's scheme with his own. You have to be willing to try new things in this league, but obviously it didn't work. There are other things besides scheme too....like a player's willingness to buy in.

I don't really think the problems the defense had last year will be repeated. I think the biggest challenge is getting the whole defense on the same page so they can begin to play without that little voice of doubt in the back of their minds. They have to trust the scheme and simply play fast and loose. The defense couldn't quite put it together last year but from day 1 this year, they have a clean slate....and a challenge to face.

Edited by Rockinon

Seems like every year the defense looks great on paper.

never forget Wannstadt !

Same here. There could be an argument for either side with the way the draft fell and the players we got. I think last year they tried and made due with what they had to work with. I mean look at our LBs last year we had no depth same for Safety and WR after Harvin went out. For a run 1st team our RB core was seriously lacking. I laugh lookin back at us starting Heron, Ciere wood, and blankety blank when McCoy and Karlos were injured. Also the games where our Wrs consisted of Woods and Hogan as the #1 and #2. Injuries were a nightmare and exposed we had NO DEPTH whatsoever at important positions. I think im more concerned about injuries than Rexs scheme this season.

you are tying a series of good posts together.

You build a formidable fence i bet !

My point is you're pretty much a broken record.

Complete BS.

I've said Rex deserves a majority of the blame. Not all of it.

But yea the season is over, so why do I get criticized for bringing up "negative" takes about the 2015 season but when the rose colored opinions come out on the same topic, most nod their heads in agreement?

I'll tell you why you get a hard time on here and I say this not as a shot at you, but in the hope you can see why people on this board tend to have negative reactions towards you.

You offer, without fail, the most consistently negative take on every single situation around. If there were a post about a basket full of puppies at the front desk of OBD, you're the type to cite how irresponsible it is to expose everyone in the building to possible rabies. There are plenty of posters here who have negative views on some things and positive views on others, it's called being a balanced poster. You are consistently negative and argue with anyone who disagrees with you to the point that it takes threads over. I would suggest that if you don't like how people are reacting to you, change your reaction to them by not immediately getting into arguments, or, try and be more balanced when you post. That said, I understand there may be times when you say non-negative things around here and you feel like you're getting singled out, but once you get a reputation, it follows you around and it's hard to shake.

Edited by ndirish1978

Hell yeah dude! Its gonna be an exciting season that will directly affect the next 3 seasons of wagon circling. Go Bills!

Rexs history shows he has good defenses more often then not.

His record also shows he has mediocre to poor teams more often than not.

Whether you love or hate it they are all in on Rex's defense. I still hold a grudge that last years defensive debacle resulted from the inability of a "defensive mastermind" to bend his scheme to fit the talent because he was either trying to and failing, or stubbornly clinging to his own design despite the mismatched roster.

Ok let's do this again. One of our top players quit on the team and we had too many injuries to overcome.

Whats your point?

To use the Schwartz/Rex mix of defense as some kind of excuse for Rex is ridiculous.... I get it though, facts that steer towards the truth are blasphemy around here.

Yes 2016 is a new season, let's hope Rexs fully pregnant scheme works... Or we can blame something or someone else again if it doesn't.

You are a broken record and don't bore us with that you hope things work. You'd have no reason to come here.

But we were told the same thing last year.... "this defense could be the best of all-time, blah blah blah."

I like the moves, but I'm not getting my hopes up until i see some production on the field.

Can Gilmore stay healthy? Can Kyle Williams stay healthy? Who's our starting safety's? How they gonna stop Gronk/Brady? Will Carpenter get back to his 2014-15 form?