The pass rush and linining up in different places

Do some reading up on some of the talent Buffalo has brought in. Nearly every defensive player drafted and undrafted has a knack for getting to the QB. But there is a trend I am seeing. Until today, I mostly ignored Justin Zimmer but this kid is an athletic freak who lives in the opponents backfield. When I read some info about him lining up all over the DLine at Ferris State, I remembered reading the same thing about others doing the same.

Striker also lined up at multiple spots and was productive getting to the QB from different angels as well. And talk about getting there quick, this kid puts a QB on his back before he can even finish a 3 step drop.

Ragland also plays multiple LB positions and often rushed the passer on 3rd down rather than drop into coverage. He often did cover too and for the most part was successful doing that too. What is sticking out though, is that all of these guys can rush the passer from multiple positions. Ragland is special because he can be the guy calling the plays for the defense.

Shaq is another one who is versatile enough to line up in different positions. He racked up a lot of sacks but his real strength is setting the edge and then working his way to the QB from there. This guy is special in that regard, but I don't see him getting to the QB as quickly as others.

Washington is another penetrating DLineman that has experience playing 0-tech, 1-tech, 3-tech and 5-tech positions and in both a 3-4 and 4-3 alignments. This guy can shoot the gap and get in the backfield quick too.

Many people have been bashing Rex Ryan for the way the defense struggled last year and certainly much of the blame falls on his shoulders. He is the so-called defensive guru. But when you start looking at who the Bills have added and pair them up with who was all ready here, things really start to look interesting. We know that Jerry Hughes, Marcel Darius and Kyle Williams have all had 10+ sack seasons. And these guys can also play multiple roles.

There is no doubt in my mind that the Bills will be making life miserable for opposing QBs this year. The pressure can come from any number of directions on any given play. The talent brought in is not just special because of their productivity in college but because they have multiple talents and are versatile enough to do different things.

Count me in on what the Bills are building on defense. You can blather on about Rex's scheme being too old for today's NFL. I get it. Rex gets on my nerves too, but don't forget to look around and see for yourself what is being done. This is going to be a fun season to watch. When these guys are all on the same page and begin playing fast, they are going to be extremely dominant.

Edited by Rockinon

Do some reading up on some of the talent Buffalo has brought in. Nearly every defensive player drafted and undrafted has a knack for getting to the QB. But there is a trend I am seeing. Until today, I mostly ignored Justin Zimmer but this kid is an athletic freak who lives in the opponents backfield. When I read some info about him lining up all over the DLine at Ferris State, I remembered reading the same thing about others doing the same.

Striker also lined up at multiple spots and was productive getting to the QB from different angels as well. And talk about getting there quick, this kid puts a QB on his back before he can even finish a 3 step drop.

Ragland also plays multiple LB positions and often rushed the passer on 3rd down rather than drop into coverage. He often did cover too and for the most part was successful doing that too. What is sticking out though, is that all of these guys can rush the passer from multiple positions. Ragland is special because he can be the guy calling the plays for the defense.

Shaq is another one who is versatile enough to line up in different positions. He racked up a lot of sacks but his real strength is setting the edge and then working his way to the QB from there. This guy is special in that regard, but I don't see him getting to the QB as quickly as others.

Washington is another penetrating DLineman that has experience playing 0-tech, 1-tech, 3-tech and 5-tech positions and in both a 3-4 and 4-3 alignments. This guy can shoot the gap and get in the backfield quick too.

Many people have been bashing Rex Ryan for the way the defense struggled last year and certainly much of the blame falls on his shoulders. He is the so-called defensive guru. But when you start looking at who the Bills have added and pair them up with who was all ready here, things really start to look interesting. We know that Jerry Hughes, Marcel Darius and Kyle Williams have all had 10+ sack seasons. And these guys can also play multiple roles.

There is no doubt in my mind that the Bills will be making life miserable for opposing QBs this year. The pressure can come from any number of directions on any given play. The talent brought in is not just special because of their productivity in college but because they have multiple talents and are versatile enough to do different things.

Count me in on what the Bills are building on defense. You can blather on about Rex's scheme being too old for today's NFL. I get it. Rex gets on my nerves too, but don't forget to look around and see for yourself what is being done. This is going to be a fun season to watch. When these guys are all on the same page and begin playing fast, they are going to be extremely dominant.

Whether you love or hate it they are all in on Rex's defense. I still hold a grudge that last years defensive debacle resulted from the inability of a "defensive mastermind" to bend his scheme to fit the talent because he was either trying to and failing, or stubbornly clinging to his own design despite the mismatched roster.

Whether you love or hate it they are all in on Rex's defense. I still hold a grudge that last years defensive debacle resulted from the inability of a "defensive mastermind" to bend his scheme to fit the talent because he was either trying to and failing, or stubbornly clinging to his own design despite the mismatched roster.

How do you know he did not bend? Maybe there is more to the story than what you are aware of.

I find it interesting that someone who admittedly is stuck in the 2015 season completely missed the fact that Rex bent from going 100% with his scheme to incorporate concepts from Schwartz's defense in 2014.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Nice observations. Last year after midseason watching the defense was nail biting hoping they didnt !@#$ it up. Watching the offense was exciting and kept most Bills fans watching for those "wow" plays by TT, Shady and Watkins. This year the defense is gonna be fun to watch too.

Duke Williams and IK roster spots are up for grabs. No way these two kids could be worse.

I would rather have Striker and Zimmer on the Bills then IK and Duke

It was noted Rex tried to mold his defense to the teams strengths and it didnt work, the last 2 games of the season he fully used his scheme and his scheme only, this year he is fully using his scheme its gonna be interesting to say the least.

I find it interesting that some who admittedly is stuck in the 2015 season completely missed the fact that Rex bent from going 100% with his scheme to incorporate concepts from Schwartz's defense in 2014.

Yep. Im surprised people still dont know that, he said it a million times after the season and towards the end. I think the only time they were on record to fully use Rexs scheme were the last 2 games, one of which we beat a good jets team with half our starting team on IR. This should give hope to the hopeless infected with BBFS.

Edited by Marty McFly

Nice observations. Last year after midseason watching the defense was nail biting hoping they didnt !@#$ it up. Watching the offense was exciting and kept most Bills fans watching for those "wow" plays by TT, Shady and Watkins. This year the defense is gonna be fun to watch too.

I would rather have Striker and Zimmer on the Bills then IK and Duke

It was noted Rex tried to mold his defense to the teams strengths and it didnt work, the last 2 games of the season he fully used his scheme and his scheme only, this year he is fully using his scheme its gonna be interesting to say the least.

Yep. Im surprised people still dont know that, he said it a million times after the season and towards the end. I think the only time they were on record to fully use Rexs scheme were the last 2 games, one of which we beat a good jets team with half our starting team on IR. This should give hope to the hopeless infected with BBFS.

#FullyPregnant #All-In

Lol. It just so happens we were 100% Rex Ryan defense the last two games of the season?

You guys believe everything the Bills PR machine spews eh?

Guess who? I'm shocked at this newly enlightened response full of skepticism. You have any idea when the 2016 schedule comes out? :lol:

Whats your point?

To use the Schwartz/Rex mix of defense as some kind of excuse for Rex is ridiculous.... I get it though, facts that steer towards the truth are blasphemy around here.

Yes 2016 is a new season, let's hope Rexs fully pregnant scheme works... Or we can blame something or someone else again if it doesn't.

My point is you're pretty much a broken record.

Whats your point?

To use the Schwartz/Rex mix of defense as some kind of excuse for Rex is ridiculous.... I get it though, facts that steer towards the truth are blasphemy around here.

Yes 2016 is a new season, let's hope Rexs fully pregnant scheme works... Or we can blame something or someone else again if it doesn't.

We? Please refrain from using the collective "we" as you are utterly incapable of blaming something or someone else if Ryan's scheme fails.

Just having 11 guys who will give maximum effort will be an improvement.

GO BILLS!!!

We? Please refrain from using the collective "we" as you are utterly incapable of blaming something or someone else if Ryan's scheme fails.

Just having 11 guys who will give maximum effort will be an improvement.

GO BILLS!!!

Hell yeah dude! Its gonna be an exciting season that will directly affect the next 3 seasons of wagon circling. Go Bills!

Complete BS.

I've said Rex deserves a majority of the blame. Not all of it.

But yea the season is over, so why do I get criticized for bringing up "negative" takes about the 2015 season but when the rose colored opinions come out on the same topic, most nod their heads in agreement?

Rexs history shows he has good defenses more often then not. The scheme melding not working out is not an excuse simply on observation, if he wanted to use an excuse he woulda named all the games we missed our stars on offense and defense(there were quite a few, I dont remember any team having to use street FAs as their RB core last season, especially a "run 1st" team! how ridiculous is that!?). Plus its the off-season. The time of hope and homerism, you can come back with the "negative" takes "if or when" we get eliminated from playoff contention next year. If that does happen you know damn well everyone on here will be calling for Rexs fetus and head so have patience your time may come! Then you can rub it in everyones faces at how rite you were! Though I hope for the sake of the team you are dead wrong.

Edited by Marty McFly

Complete BS.

I've said Rex deserves a majority of the blame. Not all of it.

But yea the season is over, so why do I get criticized for bringing up "negative" takes about the 2015 season but when the rose colored opinions come out on the same topic, most nod their heads in agreement?

You're too negatively invested at this point to blame anything other than Rex Ryan if the defense should struggle again. Nothing short of another 4th place ranking and 50+ sacks will satisfy your wrath, regardless of the win/loss record.

And what's the difference between a rose colored opinion and a crap colored opinion, anyway? I mean other than one being more fun to hang around with?

GO BILLS!!!

You do realize that the Bills were 31st in sacks last year under Ryan after being 1st in the league under Schwartz and 2nd in the league under Mike Pettine in 2013. Last year the Bills were also 32nd in defensive hurries!

Speaking of Pettine, one could look at the stats and say that Mike did better than Ryan and he also ran mostly a 3-4 scheme.

Ryan will need to change up a whole bunch of things in his scheme to actually make life miserable for opposing QB's this season.

Bills fans also need to remember what happened in those last two games of the 2015 season. Against Dallas, the Bills were playing against a QB making his first NFL start and it showed. The simple truth is the Bills were only able to get one hit on Dallas QB Kellen Moore and no sacks. It was more that Dallas QB's ineptitude that lost the Cowboys that game than anything else. Veteran Dallas QB Tony Romo playing in that game and it's an entirely different animal and result.

Then the game against the Jets the Bills defense did play very well despite all the injuries to a bunch of Bills starters. But then, we all need to remember who were the NY Jets QB and OC in that game. Rex Ryan has owned Chan Gailey and Fitz while he was the HC of the Jets and Ryan, seemed to be particularly motivated to have his team prepared to face the team that fired him.

It really does remain to be seen if Rex and his brother can get the 2016 Buffalo Bills defense as good as expected and I expect it to be better than just top ten. Plus, getting back on track with leading the league in QB sacks, hits, and hurries. This 2016 team has far too much defensive talent on it to be near dead last in sacks and middling stat wise again.

Lol, defensive drop off in every category with the same personnel, what changed?

Yay. Let's have this conversation once again.

He's the head coach and coaches the defense. Who else is there to blame?

Yea, I'll be so pissed at Rex if we are 11-5 and our defense is average. You got me.

Rex blamed himself for not using his scheme and trying to blend his and Shwartzs scheme. I dont even like Rex. I wasnt a fan of the hire when it happened either but at least he owned up and took the blame in almost every post game interview. We got some really good new pieces and Rex isnt going anywhere for another season or 2 depending on what happens this season. So its either hope for the best, appreciate the draft, the players we were able to score and think positive, or point, blame, and grumble how next season will be more of the same. Its a free country so choose as you please but Ill take the former. Go Bills.

How do you know he did not bend? Maybe there is more to the story than what you are aware of.

Maybe but It's a conclusion I've drawn from what I saw and an assertion I believe I can argue.

Mario setting the edge and verbalizing scheme misfits repeatedly, Dareus... The same objections voiced after watching him jogging in place after the snap eating space instead penetrating and wreaking havoc, players out of position, linebackers late in pursuit or failing to get pressure. The idea that dropping ends and tackles into coverage even 5 snaps per game is 'confusing' to QBs who has seen film on it all day long... And finally the results- His failure was taking a top 5 defensive unit and fixing it into a top 25 defensive unit. That's a failure of some sort.

On top of that, the 3 picks from this draft plus who they let go tell me that they knew they didn't have the right guys to run his scheme.

So while I'm not privey to much more than a bunch of games and varying reports... This pattern is convincing to me so far

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

I find it interesting that someone who admittedly is stuck in the 2015 season completely missed the fact that Rex bent from going 100% with his scheme to incorporate concepts from Schwartz's defense in 2014.

He supposedly realized that excuse er ah revelation after the first pats game.

And several players independently and indirectly refuted that with their own commentary.

But either way they have 'Rex type' players now from the top 3 pick so can't wait to watch the defensive genii back at work.