Shady's value to the Bills...

Did that other poster not say McCoy was used less than he normally was because he's old?

I don't think John was being disingenuous as he was being mistaken. They limited his touches because he was injured.

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It turns out that he is not a workhorse back? So what. That doesn't mean that he is ineffective or that when used in tandem with Karlos and other backs that the running game is ineffective. Most teams rotate backs on offense. That is the norm, not the exception. The Bills because they emphasize the running game more than most make it difficult for any one back to carry the load.

Is McCoy overpaid? Yes. So what. Some players are underpaid. It balances out. The bottom line is that he is a primary contributor to our offense. I don't get dismayed when a good player/productive is overpaid; I get dismayed when a mediocre player/non-productive player get over-paid.

I don't disagree with anyone who says McCoy isn't the caliber of back that he once was i.e. one of the top backs in the league. However, that doesn't mean that he isn't now one of the top backs in the league who has to be used more judiciously than he was a few years ago.

I really like this POV.

This coming season they can use the heck out of LeSean because of the depth available. and they should

I really like this POV.

This coming season they can use the heck out of LeSean because of the depth available. and they should

The best approach to handle McCoy is to use him as a rotational back. Is he going to be the primary back? Yes. But because the Bills appear to have depth at his position they can rotate him with the other backs and still have him get enough carries to be our primary back.

As I stated in a prior post most backs today, even elite backs, are not used as workhorse backs. There is simply too much punishment and wear and tear to allow a back to work at an optimal level as the season advances.

There are valid complaints that he is over-paid. I don't dismiss that point of view. However, that doesn't bother me as long as he is a productive player on an offense that is more predicated on the run compared to most teams. If I had a do-over would I support his acquisition including his increased contract? With no hesitation I say no. But given what seems to most to be a contradictory stance (it isn't) I have no problem with him being on the roster.

I really like this POV.

as john said it's not practical. you'll ride him in to the ground by week 6. sub him in, play him 1/2 the running snaps.

which is why i take issue with why we paid so much to someone who should only be involved in half the runs.

as john said it's not practical. you'll ride him in to the ground by week 6. sub him in, play him 1/2 the running snaps.

which is why i take issue with why we paid so much to someone who should only be involved in half the runs.

McCoy can handle more then you think. So your issue isn't a real one. Edited by Beef Jerky

My opinion differs from you and Johns. And others i can imagine.

Maybe i would not grind him between the tackles all day. and hope him to pop one.

But i would want him on the field as much as possible. He is bigger threat than K Williams and defenses will have to take him into account regardless of whether the ball is in his hands or not.

I can still see when McCoy caught two flares in a row nearly. His ability to adjust his footing and speed while keeping one eye on the defenders was a thing of beauty.

I am not one to protect him via limiting reps. Get the best players on the field.

McCoy can handle more then you think. So your issue isn't a real one.

I think it is real, i just would not play him that way. Bills paid him to play ball.

But on the other side of your statement, I do agree he can handle more reps.

By 2018 i want him to have been used up and ready to retire. I want every penny out of him, if that makes sense

I am trying to figure out why we are taking 1 injury plagued year and construe it as what McCoy's production will be going forward.

Shady has been extremely durable

Because he's "old."

I am trying to figure out why we are taking 1 injury plagued year and construe it as what McCoy's production will be going forward.

You already know the answers coming. Don't play naive JfH

I think it is real, i just would not play him that way. Bills paid him to play ball.

But on the other side of your statement, I do agree he can handle more reps.

By 2018 i want him to have been used up and ready to retire. I want every penny out of him, if that makes sense

It does make sense. I want him to get every carry he can handle and then some.

It does make sense. I want him to get every carry he can handle and then some.

:thumbsup:

there will be situational football where Karlos and or J Williams make more sense, and i get that.

Hopefully all stay healthy and we have a 3 headed monster with Shady leading the attack

I know that people believe that....

I dont.....Thurman Thomas found a way to do it with the same style of play

Oh i do not doubt he could maintain his health over a full season or two or 3. Because of his running style. and Bills have Karlos and Jonathan perhaps Wilder and Gillislee (sp) to take the brunt of the heavy short yardage stuff.

But i was just saying you already know the other side of the argument.

It has to taken into account the scheme Roman will be running this year.

I suspect it will shift from last seasons basic stuff. Maybe some smarter (? detailed ) playing, and or more aggressive tactics to dictate to the defense.

and returning to the mean.

: )

If contributing almost 100 yards a game from scrimmage despite being injured and having a lousy right side of an OL is "regressing towards the mean..."

when you get that many carries on a running back and undertstand them, you can realize our concern.

If contributing almost 100 yards a game from scrimmage despite being injured and having a lousy right side of an OL is "regressing towards the mean..."

How many backs averaged more?

Lousy right side and 2 top 10 talents on the left. Funny how that part is always glossed over.