2017 NFL Mock Drafts & Top Prospects

26CornerBlitz

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@NFL_CFB

Top 50 prospects for 2017 #NFLDraft: 1. Garrett 6. Fournette 25. McCaffrey 32. Watson FULL: http://on.nfl.com/O8kuVg

(via @MoveTheSticks)

C2Y1LwZUcAE9_V6.jpg

Interesting how he has Trubisky and Watson at 31 and 32. Thought they'd be higher, but he's basically conceding they're 1st rounders by putting them there. Has Kizer in the teens. Maybe no QB's go before Bills at 10. Our pick would get a lot more interesting if that's how it shakes out.

I'd like to know the thinking and methodology behind how these guys rank QB's on draft boards given the importance of the position. The 10th best QB in the NFL is way more important to his team than the best player at any other position. If Kizer, Trubisky, and Watson have 1st round grades, they are almost definitely going high in the 1st round. What's the point of ranking Goff and Wentz as #7 and #8 on your draft board when you knew they were going 1 and 2?

I'd like to know the thinking and methodology behind how these guys rank QB's on draft boards given the importance of the position. The 10th best QB in the NFL is way more important to his team than the best player at any other position. If Kizer, Trubisky, and Watson have 1st round grades, they are almost definitely going high in the 1st round. What's the point of ranking Goff and Wentz as #7 and #8 on your draft board when you knew they were going 1 and 2?

They are ranking prospects according to a grading system that does not correspond to draft position. No need to change how they stack up prospects to consider where they'll get drafted.

Just seems silly that you always hear these draft gurus say teams need to draft QBs a round higher than their draft projections to get their guy. Maybe these draft gurus should instead adjust their QB rankings to reality and the importance of the QB position. It does nobody any good especially a league that needs quality QB play to constantly bad mouth teams for 'over-drafting' QB's and that QB's drafted in 1st round need to be the next Peyton Manning. Heck, a quality backup QB is probably worth a 2nd rounder and maybe even a late 1st rounder.

i'm not an expert by any means, but i've been taking a look at Mahomes. He makes some plays that blow your minds, looking off safeties, throwing a dart down the middle of the field. Then he misses on a bubble screen. What seems to be the issue is his footwork looks to be disastrous. Everything is off his back foot when he throws from the pocket. That seems like a hard correction. I would note that he had more of a turnstile than an offensive line but i'm far from sold.

i'm not an expert by any means, but i've been taking a look at Mahomes. He makes some plays that blow your minds, looking off safeties, throwing a dart down the middle of the field. Then he misses on a bubble screen. What seems to be the issue is his footwork looks to be disastrous. Everything is off his back foot when he throws from the pocket. That seems like a hard correction. I would note that he had more of a turnstile than an offensive line but i'm far from sold.

I hope every other NFL team hates his mechanics. That's how Dak fell way farther than he should have.

Edited by jeffismagic

This is the year to get away from the patchwork drafting mentality that has been the hallmark for our generation of failure. It's time that this dullard franchise break away from its typical timid approach to the draft. It's time that the GM and the organization expand their ambitions from being a wild-card contender and be more ambitious in their goals.

My recommendation would be to identity the qb prospects that you have a conviction on and then do what you have to do to select one of them. If you can trade down in the first round and collect an additional pick or two that would be a smart hedging move.

Assuming that the Bills retain TT (??) then it would be even a better time to select your qb prospect because you wouldn't have to rush an unprepared qb. The model for my scenario is the Raiders. They got Carr at the top of the second round and it is unarguable that his selection changed the trajectory of that franchise.

Doug Whaley took a bold act by giving up a lot to move a few spots to acquire a scintillating talent in Watkins, a receiver. The return on that investment has been minimal because the caliber of qb throwing to him isn't capable of maximizing his abundant talents. It was an assss backward approach to take. Get an authentic qb first and then address the skill positions.

For those people advocating for selecting one of the many top safety talents in this draft with a first round pick I say to you that you have learned nothing from a generation of failure. Selecting a good safety prospect might add a good player to the roster but it is inconsequential in changing the fortunes of our bumbling team. When your team has been mediocre for a generation and you still continue to advocate for taking the same rutted road to nowhere then you deserve what you get.

It should come as no surprise that when you are lackluster in thought you will continue to be lackluster on the field. Something to consider!

This is the year to get away from the patchwork drafting mentality that has been the hallmark for our generation of failure. It's time that this dullard franchise break away from its typical timid approach to the draft. It's time that the GM and the organization expand their ambitions from being a wild-card contender and be more ambitious in their goals.

My recommendation would be to identity the qb prospects that you have a conviction on and then do what you have to do to select one of them. If you can trade down in the first round and collect an additional pick or two that would be a smart hedging move.

Assuming that the Bills retain TT (??) then it would be even a better time to select your qb prospect because you wouldn't have to rush an unprepared qb. The model for my scenario is the Raiders. They got Carr at the top of the second round and it is unarguable that his selection changed the trajectory of that franchise.

Doug Whaley took a bold act by giving up a lot to move a few spots to acquire a scintillating talent in Watkins, a receiver. The return on that investment has been minimal because the caliber of qb throwing to him isn't capable of maximizing his abundant talents. It was an assss backward approach to take. Get an authentic qb first and then address the skill positions.

For those people advocating for selecting one of the many top safety talents in this draft with a first round pick I say to you that you have learned nothing from a generation of failure. Selecting a good safety prospect might add a good player to the roster but it is inconsequential in changing the fortunes of our bumbling team. When your team has been mediocre for a generation and you still continue to advocate for taking the same rutted road to nowhere then you deserve what you get.

It should come as no surprise that when you are lackluster in thought you will continue to be lackluster on the field. Something to consider!

It depends where the QB they are targeting is on the board. Most of the QB's are not rated as top ten picks. I would rather take an elite safety at 10 then reach for a second round QB.

Ideally I would figure out how to get both a QB prospect I like and an elite player at 10. No one wants a safety just to fill a need. People are talking about Adams and Hooker because they look like elite players at the NFL level.

I don't get how you have created this false choice scenario unless you believe there is a QB prospect worth a top ten pick.

If Mahomes will go off board in late 1st and he's the guy I would be open to trading down from 10 or moving up with our second.

Waiting on the QB is what gets you Adolphus Washington instead of Dak Prescott. If you like Mahomes at end of first, take him at #10.

There is no need to take Mahomes at 10 if you believe that he is the best qb for you. Trade down if you can and get another pick or two and then get him at a lower draft position. If you aren't willing to take the risk of losing him then go ahead and select him at 10.

As I said in other postings we traded up in the third round to draft a track receiver, TJ Graham, instead of taking Russell Wilson. The Bills could have selected either Derek Carr or Terry Bridgewater with a trade down. If not willing to take the risk then bite the apple and take the qb with your high pick. If you are going to take a risk on a player then do it for a position that can have a significant affect on your team.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.