2017 NFL Mock Drafts & Top Prospects

26CornerBlitz

It's always fluid, lol. Tim Williams is a guy I could see flying up boards with a Von Miller like combine, the best pure pass rusher in the draft, I'm still trying to figure out his run stopping ability. No Jamal Adams?

I am interested to hear your thoughts on King? I'm in the he's a potential elite safety boat myself, he seems at his best with his eyes on the QB and his best coverage plays are out of zone coverage reading and reacting, his worst seem in man, the Perdue game I though showed this in his + and - plays in that game. Good physicality and IQ for sure. I don't see the long speed with him to cover the deep field in man, IMO he's pretty restricted to zone schemes, reminds me of Rhonde Barber a lot and he would be a amazing Tampa two corner.

I agree with the secondary and Edge/DE/OLB/Hybrid being loaded 100%

I probably have Jamal Adams around 12 right now; don't worry, he's on my radar :D

Barber is a pretty good comparison for King; actually, the first time I watched him I was reminded of Antoine Winfield with his lightning-quick recognition and form tackling.

I'll get killed for making this comparison, but the guy who's style King plays closest to is actually Richard Sherman. A primarily zone corner, extremely smart, loves to get his hands on receivers, and makes plays on the ball. Like Sherman, he gets in trouble with nifty route-runners that can turn his hips around, and lacks the top gear to take away the deep throws. I think if he had Sherman's size and background as a WR, he'd be a sure-fire top-10 pick on every board. Since he's undersized, he'll probably end up getting picked in the 15-25 range, but right now I have him ahead of the duos from Florida and Ohio State.

I think he'd probably be a perfect fit for Schwartz's defense in Philly, so right now I have him going 14.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been starting to get into pure DL guys as I get beyond Jonathan Allen, and boy does Malik McDowell remind me of Chris Jones from 2016.

Plays anywhere from 5T to 0T, has great get-off, ties up blockers, and finishes plays. Also has the same negatives in that his pad level gets too high at times, and he has lapses where it looks like he loses concentration and mis-reads his keys.

Tons of ability there though; I'd call him a top-20 guy before workouts.

Been starting to get into pure DL guys as I get beyond Jonathan Allen, and boy does Malik McDowell remind me of Chris Jones from 2016.

Plays anywhere from 5T to 0T, has great get-off, ties up blockers, and finishes plays. Also has the same negatives in that his pad level gets too high at times, and he has lapses where it looks like he loses concentration and mis-reads his keys.

Tons of ability there though; I'd call him a top-20 guy before workouts.

Malik, on a good day, is the truth. He's a stupid athlete, guys that size aren't supposed to bend round a tackle like Mike McGlinchey.

Like you said, same downsides as Chris Jones. It's about whether you think he can replicate that progression or if you think Jones is a one-off.

Personally, I take the gamble. I would've taken it on Jones at #19, I'm not sure I'd bat an eyelid at McDowell at #10.

Is it just me? Or does anyone else look at our needs, and the fact that we currently only have 6 picks, and...besides wanting to strangle Whaley... :lol: ....Realize a trade down, maybe a couple, is the best idea in 2017? I think there will be plenty there at #10 to entice teams to come up...And we need picks BAD... B-)

Malik, on a good day, is the truth. He's a stupid athlete, guys that size aren't supposed to bend round a tackle like Mike McGlinchey.

Like you said, same downsides as Chris Jones. It's about whether you think he can replicate that progression or if you think Jones is a one-off.

Personally, I take the gamble. I would've taken it on Jones at #19, I'm not sure I'd bat an eyelid at McDowell at #10.

Jones was my favorite player in the 2016 Draft...I realize some folks thought he was lazy...But like y'all said, men that big are not supposed to to be that athletic...And when Jones was dialed in he was dominate at Miss St...PFF's grades on him were sky high...He should have been a top 10 pick IMHO...

I was just on my FB Scouting group reading and there was a couple KC fans talking about how Jones has played up and down their line this year and really allowed them flexibility...He's SO far from just a 0, or a 1...He can play anywhere on the line and be more than effective...If he's motivated he's a destroyer... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

Don't forget, folks. If you Twitter, there's some talented writers to follow this draft season.

@QBKlass & @MarkSchofield for all your quarterback goodness.

@JuMosq the pass rush supremo behind "Force Players".

@FourVerts for takes on interior defensive linemen.

@CFBFilmRoom & @PFF_College for good stats.

Then @NDTScouting, @TheJoeMarino, @JonahTulsNFL, @JeffRisdon, @LedyardNFLDraft. Not to mention, @ITP_ChuckZ for all your kicking and punting goodness.

And @TheBillsWire will have draft content all the way through to April with myself, Rob and Rich. Might even be doing some videos and podcasts so you can all fall in love with my accent.

I probably have Jamal Adams around 12 right now; don't worry, he's on my radar :D

Barber is a Damn Fine comparison for King; actually, the first time I watched him I was reminded of Antoine Winfield with his lightning-quick recognition and form tackling.

I'll get killed for making this comparison, but the guy who's style King plays closest to is actually Richard Sherman. A primarily zone corner, extremely smart, loves to get his hands on receivers, and makes plays on the ball. Like Sherman, he gets in trouble with nifty route-runners that can turn his hips around, and lacks the top gear to take away the deep throws. I think if he had Sherman's size and background as a WR, he'd be a sure-fire top-10 pick on every board. Since he's undersized, he'll probably end up getting picked in the 15-25 range, but right now I have him ahead of the duos from Florida and Ohio State.

I think he'd probably be a perfect fit for Schwartz's defense in Philly, so right now I have him going 14.

I think you may have maid a mistake on your Barber comp, typo/auto correct? Thought I would fix that for you... ;)

All kidding aside, the comp to Winfield and his ability to essentially eliminate the short and quick passing game with his read and react skills and would help his cause at CB in todays NFL which is heavy with the short/quick passing game and lots of 50/50 verticals seemingly (not the 50/50 part without safety help for King), I am not sure he has Winfields ability to get around blocks and make plays in the run game but its something ill look for, aside from the missed tackle in the Outback Bowl. The style Sherman plays is actually a good comp a well IMO, you are spot on about him bailing or opening his hips to early (affects his ability to locate WR's when turning having eyes in the backfield too much potentially, not sure yet if his peripheral vision is good enough), I noticed that with King as well, that was a similar problem Mo Claiborne had and affected his transition to the NFL coming out of LSU, only he had the athleticism and recovery speed King does not IMO.

This is by far my biggest concern with King, he seems to bail out early so that he doesnt get burned deep, IMO because he does not have the recovery or long speed to hang with burners (Purdue TD allowed) if he does not anticipate deep routes correctly. I agree he is going to have issues with double moves, pump fakes and QB's that utilize eye manipulation (see Penn St. TD he allowed) in addition to quality route runners. I think he can be played by savy QB's. Personally, id move him to SS and let him flourish in the box/short-intermidiate area, he makes great plays on in and out cuts, or as a CB in a system that utilizes a cover 2 shell concept, especially zone or under man (Safety help over the top will be imperative to maximizing his skill set IMO.). I agree that he would fit in nicely in Schwartz's wide nine, cover 2 style defense as a CB, that would certainly play into his strengths with Safety help over the top.

My .02, I appreciate yours!

Edited by P51

Don't forget, folks. If you Twitter, there's some talented writers to follow this draft season.

@QBKlass & @MarkSchofield for all your quarterback goodness.

@JuMosq the pass rush supremo behind "Force Players".

@FourVerts for takes on interior defensive linemen.

@CFBFilmRoom & @PFF_College for good stats.

Then @NDTScouting, @TheJoeMarino, @JonahTulsNFL, @JeffRisdon, @LedyardNFLDraft. Not to mention, @ITP_ChuckZ for all your kicking and punting goodness.

And @TheBillsWire will have draft content all the way through to April with myself, Rob and Rich. Might even be doing some videos and podcasts so you can all fall in love with my accent.

Its amazing to me how far the draft universe has come and how many talented people there are analyzing and posting in regards to the draft now, lots of quality! Wish I had more time to read it all... I enjoy reading thebillswire, keep it up!

Its amazing to me how far the draft universe has come and how many talented people there are analyzing and posting in regards to the draft now, lots of quality! Wish I had more time to read it all... I enjoy reading thebillswire, keep it up!

It feels like I end up reading about 10% of everything I want to. Part of that is the sheer volume, other part is not wanting to cloud my judgement on guys I've not watched yet. All the guys I mentioned, I really do marvel at the content they put together. Makes me realise I'm just some loner with a hobby :D

I'm glad you enjoy the Bills Wire coverage. It means a lot that people take the time to read it.

Pants off, it's time to party!

@dpbrugler

#Lindenwood LB Connor Harris (5-11, 245) added to Senior Bowl roster. The Div-2 standout posted 633 (!!!) career tackles, a new NCAA record.

Didn't they have a DB make it to the NFL not too long ago? I thought that I remembered a guy in the draft process. I don't know if he ever made it but I remember hearing on Lindenwood. I suppose that I can google it...

EDIT: Pierre Desir

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Didn't they have a DB make it to the NFL not too long ago? I thought that I remembered a guy in the draft process. I don't know if he ever made it but I remember hearing on Lindenwood. I suppose that I can google it...

EDIT: Pierre Desir

I really liked Desir, Cleveland screwed him about big time. Guy has two kids to feed and they couldn't make their mind up what they were doing with him.

Harris flashed watching Desir's 2013 film, I've been in love with him ever since. The kid is a real good one.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.