2017 NFL Mock Drafts & Top Prospects

26CornerBlitz

Just to be clear, I'm not advocating ever drafting anything but BPA. All that I am saying is that Adams might be the BPA and at a position of need.

I agree. He's a tremendous college safety.

I just think that it's easy to always make those exceptions every year for a guy like Adams at a questionable-to-invest positions.......especially if you think you are close to winning........ and it's a slippery slope, so to speak.

Safeties scare me as investments.

For every Troy Polomalu there are a ton of guys that excel and then quickly flame out from the wear and tear.........like Bob Sanders.

Honey Badger has had injury issues.......Earl Thomas is talking retirement.......it seems that the ones that play like you WANT a safety to........physical, cover, make plays on the ball........simply do not last.

I've compared the longevity to RB but it's also comparable to TE........those guys are being asked to battle 300# guys and run away from 200# guys and that constant back and forth transition between one extreme and the next tends to lead to injuries.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the snap impact but I think you have to look at the long term snap impact a bit more with a first round pick.

First AND second rounders should be 2 contract guys, IMO. And ideally, they play out both ends quite effectively.

In this era, safeties seem like one contract guys. Long term, that's not a good investment.

On the surface the Seahawks seem to be the model for the value of safety play.......but the Bills have actually put far more draft emphasis on safeties than the Seahawks and it's been a miserable fail long term.

Whitner.....1 and done.

Byrd.......1 and done.

Williams.....basically 1 and done because he's been a shadow of his former self since he injured his neck in early 2014.

None of them was a bust........all have played at a very high level at one point in their careers........yet all poor uses of Bills draft resources in the long run.

And even the Seahawks have found themselves in a pickle as both Thomas and Chancellor are falling apart at the seams early in their second deals.

I agree that CB is a much better investment........longevity is better there......the athletes tend to be better.......and while it doesn't always work there is always that potential to move a good one to the lower valued safety position late in their career.

I haven't really done much individual analysis but at a glance I thought a guy like Tre'Davious White might end up being a terrific corner and being a very good tackler he might translate to S one day and that long term package might be a second or third round investment versus the steep price for his teammate Adams. His talent may actually be downgraded because he's been asked to play the more valued position. And that's always part of the equation when evaluating safeties. Byrd lasted until round 2 in part because HE was a CB in college.

Also, too much emphasis is placed on first year production when making that first selection.....when there are too many factors that work against it.

Speaking of OT's........if Cyrus Kouandjio keeps playing this well he may end up looking like a much better pick than Aaron Williams was.

You might be right on the longevity issue. Safety play is a cruel and sometimes unforgiving mistress. I really don't know how much I put into it, mainly because a freak injury could render any pick useless at any position, but I respect the reasoning you put behind it. Same reason why signing any non-elite RB to a sizable 2nd deal is stupid.

Someone like Adams is slightly murky waters. As Kirby said, he might be BPA that happens to play in a need position. While I'm not too far along in my draft deliberations yet, I feel pretty sure that Adams will be a top 10 player for me, if not top 5. I think he's close to that elite tier that I couldn't pass up. Could be a moot point in the end, might be off the board, who knows. It's not like I want just any old safety, I'm not chasing the position if Adams is gone.

It's always interesting to find differing opinions to my own on roster construction. It's an ever-changing opinion of mine, you've definitely given me some food for thought.

RIGHT TACKLE ALL THE WAY BABY!!!

What do you think of RB D'Onta Foreman?

I can honestly say that I've not seen a snap of Texas football all year. I know he's a big bugger, that's about it. :D

You might be right on the longevity issue. Safety play is a cruel and sometimes unforgiving mistress. I really don't know how much I put into it, mainly because a freak injury could render any pick useless at any position, but I respect the reasoning you put behind it. Same reason why signing any non-elite RB to a sizable 2nd deal is stupid.

Someone like Adams is slightly murky waters. As Kirby said, he might be BPA that happens to play in a need position. While I'm not too far along in my draft deliberations yet, I feel pretty sure that Adams will be a top 10 player for me, if not top 5. I think he's close to that elite tier that I couldn't pass up. Could be a moot point in the end, might be off the board, who knows. It's not like I want just any old safety, I'm not chasing the position if Adams is gone.

It's always interesting to find differing opinions to my own on roster construction. It's an ever-changing opinion of mine, you've definitely given me some food for thought.

I greatly appreciate all the work you and others here put into draft evaluations and I agree that he may well be off the board.

Most GM's/Coaches don't care about whether their first round picks will be worthy of big second contracts........they are just trying to win now, like most fans and draftniks.

I can honestly say that I've not seen a snap of Texas football all year. I know he's a big bugger, that's about it. :D

That is what I thought too, that a guy that big and skilled would be hard to pass up.

You've got to be joking.

Did you see his first dozen or so passes?

He's feeble armed and deathly afraid of taking a hit.

LOL I was going to PM you and ask you what you think of him.

Generally, I am not fond of qbs with narrow frames. Do you find that wide shoulders help a qb?

His arm does seem a tad weak. He looks like he is pushing the ball, no?

LOL I was going to PM you and ask you what you think of him.

Generally, I am not fond of qbs with narrow frames. Do you find that wide shoulders help a qb?

His arm does seem a tad weak. He looks like he is pushing the ball, no?

I honestly can't think of one NFL attribute he has.

Beside the aforementioned feeble arm, he plays scared and subsequently turtles under pressure he's not athletic AND he doesn't move well in the pocket.

All this despite being a three year starter(for a team that vastly underperformed until this year, in great part due to poor QB play).

You'd think with all of that experience he'd be a confident, consistent player if nothing else, but he's not.

Two things; why does everything doom a team for 4-5 years? Also, how can you take issue with drafting good players? I'd really hate to end up with an Earl Thomas calibre player in the early teens.

Because bill HATES taking anything but OL in the first round.

I honestly can't think of one NFL attribute he has.

Beside the aforementioned feeble arm, he plays scared and subsequently turtles under pressure he's not athletic AND he doesn't move well in the pocket.

All this despite being a three year starter(for a team that vastly underperformed until this year, in great part due to poor QB play).

You'd think with all of that experience he'd be a confident, consistent player if nothing else, but he's not.

What's your opinion of North Carolina's qb, Mitch Trubiskey? One contributor here compared him to Andy Dalton. Which would be fine with me.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.