5-2: Whaley Breaks Down the 2016 Draft on WGR

5-2: DOUG WHALEY BREAKS DOWN THE DRAFT ON WGR (26:22)

Whaley on Reggie Ragland: "He's getting off the bus and starting Day 1"

Whaley: "The coaches were in this weekend, they were all giddy talking about all the things we can do (on defense)

Whaley: "Buffalo is no longer the place people think they're getting exiled to"

Whaley on Jones: "The arm talent jumps off the tape. He was making throws under pressure and getting hit...when things weren't perfect"

More Whaley on Jones: "What you did see was his lack of experience reading defenses...he's a piece of clay we can mold"

Whaley on Taylor, Glenn, Gilmore contracts coming up: "We are going to work as diligently as possible to keep those three guys"

Whaley on WR: "People were talking about the need for a No. 2. I think with the guys on the roster now we should be OK"

Whaley on Tim Murray being in the war room: "If he can give me one tidbit of information that helps, then why not?"

ChfJk20WUAcDQDx.jpg

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

I can't get over how cool I think it is that Tim Murray was in the Bills' war room, and Whaley plans on being in the Sabres' war room during the NHL draft. I'm sure the usual cast of characters will find some way to belittle this, but in my opinion it's pretty neat.

I can't get over how cool I think it is that Tim Murray was in the Bills' war room, and Whaley plans on being in the Sabres' war room during the NHL draft. I'm sure the usual cast of characters will find some way to belittle this, but in my opinion it's pretty neat.

It's the sign of good ownership to be honest. You can never tell where the best ideas will come from. Not that Whaley or Murray will open their mouths with opinions in the other's war room -- but you never know what either man will glean from the other's process. Could amount to nothing, or it could provide a unique insight that will help both clubs in the future.

It's a Pegula ownership nexus I had not really contemplated.

As Whaley said, even if only one small positive comes from it, so much the better.

They're bringing him to OBD on a bus?!?

Pegs is cheap!!

:beer:

its a private bus

Seriously though, does he fly from Chicago to buffalo on Air Pegula? I saw a pic of Carson Wentz flying to Philadelphia on a regular plane and it looked like he was in coach

Edited by YoloinOhio

More Whaley!

@SiriusXMNFL

Doug Whaley: We were comfortable picking Shaq Lawson or Reggie Ragland at 19 so to get them both was special for us.

Also, I've been listening to Sirius all day, but had meetings for the last hour +, naturally right when Dougie is on.

Thanks, stupid "making a living"!

What's interesting is that the NHL doesn't have war rooms. All of the guys are at the draft, at tables right next to other teams' tables, and can hear them talking and see them on the phones. Whaley said the NFL is a little too paranoid for that kind of idea, and also joked that knowing himself, he would send one intern to listen in or leak information at one table and another intern to say different things near a different one for subterfuge purposes.

It's the sign of good ownership to be honest. You can never tell where the best ideas will come from. Not that Whaley or Murray will open their mouths with opinions in the other's war room -- but you never know what either man will glean from the other's process. Could amount to nothing, or it could provide a unique insight that will help both clubs in the future.

I see the value in asking the other person's opinion in how he would weigh out a decision. Not to make recommendations, but more so of asking the right questions to allow Whaley, Rex and company to come to a sound decision. Any good counselor doesn't give the answer but gets you to think through the implications of a decision.

I like it.

Also, I've been listening to Sirius all day, but had meetings for the last hour +, naturally right when Dougie is on.

:lol:

@SiriusXMNFL

Doug Whaley on @Shaq_Lawson90: For us to fill a need with such high value almost never happens. @buffalobills

Doug Whaley on @CJ12_: He's coming in as the 3rd QB to groom and work with but there is no ceiling for this guy and no stage too big.

What's interesting is that the NHL doesn't have war rooms. All of the guys are at the draft, at tables right next to other teams' tables, and can hear them talking and see them on the phones. Whaley said the NFL is a little too paranoid for that kind of idea, and also joked that knowing himself, he would send one intern to listen in or leak information at one table and another intern to say different things near a different one for subterfuge purposes.

The NFL draft is certainly a different affair, but it makes perfect sense why the NFL has war rooms and the NHL doesn't. I like most of the drama and intrigue surrounding the NFL draft. Assembling an NFL roster is more complicated and without a farm system you really have to make each pick count, where as with the NHL after the big prospects get scooped up the prospects are afforded the luxury to develop at their own pace and hopefully you get productive players in short order.

Edited by Big C

Every meeting should be an email. This will solve many problems for you.

NFL and NBA drafts are more impactful, where many of the drafted players are expected to contribute immediately.

The NHL draft, other than the 1st few picks of a particular draft (Eichel & McDavid), can be meaningless to the casual fan as most of the players are unknown and could spend years in the minors if they do make it to the NHL. Baseball is similar.