Best Bills Draft Ever?

I'm fine with the first 3 picks actually. My issue is that they're all reasonably calculated to make the Bills as good as they were in 2014 and 2015. Goodbye Mario, hello Lawson (worse than Mario 2014, better than Mario 2015). Goodbye Brandon Spikes, hello Ragland. Goodbye Stefan Charles, hello Adolphus Washington. I'm just not seeing a plan to get beyond the "we project at 8-8, maybe if we get a few lucky bounces or some other teams tank we can squeak into the playoffs in 2016." It was a cautious draft; I think we needed a bold draft.

Even if this WERE to be the case, we would have "the same level of talent" team as you kind of said, but at a much cheaper price which is a great thing to have.

I'm no college football expert but after watching highlights and reading a couple of articles, I'm very pleased with the draft.

The QB pick could have been used on OLine but I don't think anyone was worth being picked on their board but other than the QB pick, I love picks 1,2,3 and 5.

Edited by HuSeYiN_NYC

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My personal opinion is that Paxton Lynch sucks. I'm not high on Cardale, either, but he was a much better value.

Agree. Im so glad we didnt take Paxton, Hackenburg, or Cook in the 1st or 2nd like people had us mocked.

Yeah, I wasn't a Lynch fan either. That said, going to Denver is his best chance for success in the NFL. It was a great landing spot for him.

It is, Im actually rootin for the kid. I like watchin the Broncos, Giants, Lions, and even the Jets when they dont play us. Still dont see how Detroit went the whole draft witout trying to get a replacement for Megatron, they got more O-line protection and a replacement for Suh so that made sense but, its !@#$ing MEGATRON! hes retired so you gotta find his apprentice on some Star Wars Sith ****

Even if this WERE to be the case, we would have "the same level of talent" team as you kind of said, but at a much cheaper price which is a great thing to have.

I'm no college football expert but after watching highlights and reading a couple of articles, I'm very pleased with the draft.

The QB pick could have been used on OLine but I don't think anyone was worth being picked on their board but other than the QB pick, I love picks 1,2,3 and 5.

At a cheaper price AND younger, Listenbee is gonna be a good pick mark my words, he will prob be WR3 but he will have a role in taking a Safety away from Watkins with his 4.39 speed. Was also not a fan of the QB pick I wanted a Safety there but OBD thought the QB had to be addressed with a boom or bust pick.

Edited by Marty McFly

I think thats why Whaley took Adolphus over Billings when I thought about scheme specific creelies. Shaq is a 4-3 DE that can play 3-4 ER. Only Ragland is scheme based but even then he would take Spikes spot (that we never replaced last off-season) if Rex gets fired and we go back to a 4-3

I hope you're right. I can see Whaley staying even if Rex gets fired so hopefully he made those picks with those in mind.

Pretty crazy we had to spend so many picks on a defense that was #3 two years ago. Hopefully, they nailed them.

I would stake $100 dollars on Shaq Lawson being a better NFL player than Paxton Lynch. Lawson is going to be a beast. Lynch will be a bust.

EDIT: and no homerism here. I am on record with both those opinions prior to the draft.

I would not argue with that statement however I do not wish any ill will on anyone, I hope everyone does well but yeah.... Shaq>Lynch

I hope you're right. I can see Whaley staying even if Rex gets fired so hopefully he made those picks with those in mind.

Pretty crazy we had to spend so many picks on a defense that was #3 two years ago. Hopefully, they nailed them.

I hope Whaley stays if Rex gets canned, considering our defensive situation Whaley had the best draft of his career (ON PAPER), I think thats whats pissing off the fans that didnt like the draft, we had a good D then Rex broke it and had to spend a draft fixing it but we did get some really good players even if Rex gets canned. We have STILL to find a ballhawk to replace Searcy.

I'm fine with the first 3 picks actually. My issue is that they're all reasonably calculated to make the Bills as good as they were in 2014 and 2015. Goodbye Mario, hello Lawson (worse than Mario 2014, better than Mario 2015). Goodbye Brandon Spikes, hello Ragland. Goodbye Stefan Charles, hello Adolphus Washington. I'm just not seeing a plan to get beyond the "we project at 8-8, maybe if we get a few lucky bounces or some other teams tank we can squeak into the playoffs in 2016." It was a cautious draft; I think we needed a bold draft.

Ragland > Spikes....by A LOT.....like not even close if you look at the columbine #s AND everyone cried for a defensive leader last year, well we drafted him in Reggie. Also Shaq is cleared to play and is already better than a Lazy mario, Adolphus Washington is much better then Charles and can play every spot on the Dline in 3-4. Our 1st 2 picks were the BEST DEFENSIVE PLAYERS IN THEIR CONFERENCE at positions of need!! We'll have to see what the picture looks like when the paint dries tho.

Edited by Marty McFly

And what would have been a bold draft in your estimation?

I would not argue with that statement however I do not wish any ill will on anyone, I hope everyone does well but yeah.... Shaq>Lynch

I hope Whaley stays if Rex gets canned, considering our defensive situation Whaley had the best draft of his career (ON PAPER), I think thats whats pissing off the fans that didnt like the draft, we had a good D then Rex broke it and had to spend a draft fixing it but we did get some really good players even if Rex gets canned. We have STILL to find a ballhawk to replace Searcy.

Ragland > Spikes....by A LOT.....like not even close if you look at the columbine #s AND everyone cried for a defensive leader last year, well we drafted him in Reggie. Also Shaq is cleared to play and is already better than a Lazy mario, Adolphus Washington is much better then Charles and can play every spot on the Dline in 3-4. Our 1st 2 picks were the BEST DEFENSIVE PLAYERS IN THEIR CONFERENCE at positions of need!! We'll have to see what the picture looks like when the paint dries tho.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying but let's settle down with the Shaq being better than Mario. Prior to Rex, Mario was a top 3 DE in the entire league. That's a lot to put on a guy just getting out of the ACC.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying but let's settle down with the Shaq being better than Mario. Prior to Rex, Mario was a top 3 DE in the entire league. That's a lot to put on a guy just getting out of the ACC.

I meant Shaq is already better then the unmotivated Lazy Mario that played here last year. Its gonna be years before Shaq is even close to the Mario we had before rex got here

Edited by Marty McFly

I really like last year's draft, so I certainly don't count as a draft day naysayer. But ... I really, really don't like this year's draft.

- guy with a shoulder injury who isn't considered an elite talent at 19th overall. Yes, it was 19th overall, not in the top 5, but if there's any injury risk at all (beyond the norm), I'd like to see elite talent. Think Myles Jack.

- guy thought to be a 2-down linebacker in Round 2. OK, but is there much upside there?

- passed on all QBs who have a realistic chance of being ready to start when Tyrod's contract is up after this season.

- a RB in the 4th round. Is he clearly better than a guy you could get as an UDFA? History would suggest no.

- a speedburner receiver in the 5th. Yes, it's the 5th. But haven't Graham and Goodwin taught them anything?

- most importantly: unaddressed pressing needs, mostly on the O line.

My issue is this was a draft a clear playoff team should have. A couple good solid starters or roleplayers in the first 2 rounds, the kind that don't have true star potential but can add depth and fill a need. An obsession with QB size/athleticism that served them so well the last time around with EJ? ... an obsession with speed at WR that has failed 3 times in a row if you count signing Harvin.

I'd say it's the worst I've felt about a draft in recent memory ...

He wont eat it. He hates everything.

I meant Shaq is already better then the unmotivated Lazy Mario that played here last year. Its gonna be years before Shaq is even close to the Mario we had before rex got here

Fair points. I'm very disillusioned with Rex after last year. Let's hope he gets it toghether this year. He has zero excuses. He has his guys (of course he had the talent of a #3 defense last year :) ).

Fair points. I'm very disillusioned with Rex after last year. Let's hope he gets it toghether this year. He has zero excuses. He has his guys (of course he had the talent of a #3 defense last year :) ).

Agree, this year is make or break, he got his draft, he got his brother fully pregnant, and called in a favor from Ed Reed, he knows if the defense dont Jump back into the top 15 AT THE VERY LEAST, hes gone, and rightfully so.

Did You watch Mario last year? He literally quit. If You don't like the scheme, why don't you go full bore when you're one on one with the right tackle just to prove your point? Who wants a quitter? Hopefully Lawson is an effort guy, unlike Mario. I'm sure Mario will play great against the Bills though, just to show them how wrong they were. Miami can try to motivate him now. Good luck. What a pair Marion and Ndamukong will be.

Mario only quit after London. He was trying before that and he tried his ass off that day. The scheme was brutal. I have said my piece on Rex in 2015 many times on this forum. But I am putting that aside and going "all in" until the games start in September. Rex has a couple of very good players who he was obviously happy fitted his scheme. Now it is on him.

Mario was a great player for this team for 3 years but if Lawson gives it his all in 2016 he will be better than 2015 Mario.

Mario only quit after London. He was trying before that and he tried his ass off that day. The scheme was brutal. I have said my piece on Rex in 2015 many times on this forum. But I am putting that aside and going "all in" until the games start in September. Rex has a couple of very good players who he was obviously happy fitted his scheme. Now it is on him.

Mario was a great player for this team for 3 years but if Lawson gives it his all in 2016 he will be better than 2015 Mario.

He only quit after London? Then I take back everything I said. He's a great guy

I really appreciate Mario's effort prior to last year....

but

A Large Garbage can filled with fisheads would have been more productive then Mario Williams last year.

If you actually look at the physical abilities and combine that with level of efforts.....we should be MUCH more productive from that spot....which in turn should make this defense rise several spots

Hughes wont have to provide all the pass rush....which should help a lot.

I really appreciate Mario's effort prior to last year....

but

A Large Garbage can filled with fisheads would have been more productive then Mario Williams last year.

If you actually look at the physical abilities and combine that with level of efforts.....we should be MUCH more productive from that spot....which in turn should make this defense rise several spots

Hughes wont have to provide all the pass rush....which should help a lot.

Don't disagree with any of that. And Mario's quitting was unacceptable. But Rex used it among other pitiful excuses for his defense failing. I don't want to make this thread about Rex. We got some great defensive talent in this draft now the coach has to be able to use it.

Your point was that the scheme was brutal so it was understandable that he quit?

You got that from reading my post? I really suggest you read it again.

Don't disagree with any of that. And Mario's quitting was unacceptable. But Rex used it among other pitiful excuses for his defense failing. I don't want to make this thread about Rex. We got some great defensive talent in this draft now the coach has to be able to use it.

You got that from reading my post? I really suggest you read it again.

I did get that from reading your post. Maybe you need to rewrite it. Because it sure looks to me that you're trying to give Mario an excuse for quitting.And I honestly don't ever remember Rex using Mario as an excuse for his defense failing.