RD 1, Pick 19: DE Shaq Lawson, Clemson University

Beerball

Honestly, the wording was a significant PR gaffe. But the underlying facts (as we know them) don't concern me nearly as much. The commendation was for giving in and getting the shoulder fixed now rather than playing with it as he did for four years in college. Lawson was used to dealing with it and wanted to play. Why can't people understand that?

Do you really think that Whaley and the Bills thought Lawson would not need surgery before this season when they drafted him?

This is the only valid question around this entire topic. I think it's reasonable to assume that Whaley was pretty certain this would be the way things went. He knew, as did everyone else, that this kid needed surgery at some point. He was not going to admit this until, well, this past week. There was no way he was going to tell the world he just drafted a 1st rounder who wouldn't play until, possibly, November.

So they all came up with this "he tweaked it" doing calisthenics and, "you know what? It's best to just get this taken care of now rather than later, although he could certainly totally play, like, right now" narrative.

Very clumsy.

Edited by Mr. WEO

Do you really think that Whaley and the Bills thought Lawson would not need surgery before this season when they drafted him?

Yes, I think there's a distinct possibility they thought he could make it through the season without a procedure and then be addressed next January. The downside is half of a rookie season.

a truly interesting character in world history. much to debate involving him. i'll wager we'd be on different sides on most issues. have a go?

In the late 1970s I lived a couple of blocks from the Shah's townhouse on Beekman Place NYC. Always found it odd that the NYPD had a presence outside that house 24/7.

Edited by chris heff

Yes, I think there's a distinct possibility they thought he could make it through the season without a procedure and then be addressed next January. The downside is half of a rookie season.

I'm not getting why the thought of him playing with it through the 2016 season is so implausible given what he did at Clemson.

In the late 1970s I lived a couple of blocks from the Shah's townhouse on Beekman Place NYC. Always found it odd that the NYPD had a persons outside that house 24/7.

It shouldn't be a surprise with so many Iranian expatriates in the NYC area given how brutal the Shah was during his reign. It was a distinct possibility that someone would seek retribution for all of the atrocities he was responsible for.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

I agree, I think they were hoping he'd get through year 1, then get the operation. They knew there was this chance, but they were hoping.

It shouldn't be a surprise with so many Iranian expatriates in the NYC area and how brutal the Shah was during his reign. It was a distinct possibility that someone would seek retribution for all of the atrocities he was responsible for.

.... .... .... What is going on in this thread?

.... .... .... What is going on in this thread?

A poster in the Whaley on the hot seat thread compared Shaq's shoulder surgery to spleen surgery performed on the Shah of Iran from almost 40 years ago. The discussion here started as a humorous continuation of that comparison.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

I'm not getting why the thought of him playing with it through the 2016 season is so implausible given what he did at Clemson.

It shouldn't be a surprise with so many Iranian expatriates in the NYC area and how brutal the Shah was during his reign. It was a distinct possibility that someone would seek retribution for all of the atrocities he was responsible for.

I get that part, but why was the NYPD responsible for security?

@ChrisTrapasso

Shaq's injury situation is baffling. Missed no time due to shoulder. But #Bills were supposed to be able to predict re-injury in practice?

Using that logic, if Josh Doctson re-injures wrist / Myles Jack hurts knee, WAS / JAX should get crushed for drafting those players and...

...Doctson and Jack missed games in 2015 due to their respective injuries. So they come with a more clear-cut injury risk.

This. I think it's far more plausible that they planned on having him play out the season and then get surgery versus creating an elaborate ruse to make it appear that way when they really planned all along to have him get surgery before the season started...and then wait for two weeks after he was drafted.

Edited by Doc

Did they disclose what the injury was? Torn labrum? Interesting how he had it as a freshman and now needs surgery. I tore my labrum lifting weights my sophmore year playing college call. Just rehabbed and strengthened muscles around it and played out junior and senior year without major issues. Still feel a little pain from time to time, but didn't need to get the surgery.

Did they disclose what the injury was? Torn labrum? Interesting how he had it as a freshman and now needs surgery. I tore my labrum lifting weights my sophmore year playing college call. Just rehabbed and strengthened muscles around it and played out junior and senior year without major issues. Still feel a little pain from time to time, but didn't need to get the surgery.

I would like to know this as well.....I had heard rumors that the reason why the surgery was eventually going to be needed was to PREVENT a torn labrum........but I would like more info.

Completely off topic now... but wouldn't it normally fall on the State Department and DSS to protect a foreign dignitary (at least in 2016)?

We can probably continue this topic on the dark side

In the late 1970s I lived a couple of blocks from the Shah's townhouse on Beekman Place NYC. Always found it odd that the NYPD had a presence outside that house 24/7.

May have had something to do with the fatwah issued by Khomeini calling for his death.

he didn't have a torn labrum in college. His shoulder popped out his freshman year and he wore a brace to play because that condition put him more at risk to tear his labrum. He didn't play with a torn labrum. His medicals showed he would need surgery at some point to correct the condition so he could play without the brace. This was originally surgery that could have been done next off-season if the condition stayed the same.

He experienced some kind of aggravation (not sure the exact degree of tear) in non-contact drills last week while not wearing the brace. He could have played with whatever the occurrence was, but obviously he would have been at risk for more damage if he did. They decided to have the surgery to fix it long term now instead of rolling the dice.

This is what I've gathered from pre-draft until now.

So you're saying Lawson will not only have to get surgery again later in his career but now his other shoulder is messed up too?

Absolutely! And his hair is going to turn gray at some point too. But his pancreas is probably okay... for now.

Completely off topic now... but wouldn't it normally fall on the State Department and DSS to protect a foreign dignitary (at least in 2016)?

But it was the 1980s. NYPD protects all the dignitaries, their embassies, and consulates in the city. It's the home of the UN after all.