RD 1, Pick 19: DE Shaq Lawson, Clemson University

Beerball

To me it's semantics. Whether Lawson didn't want surgery or didn';t feel he needed surgery, and whether the team forced him or convinced him is immaterial. The gist is that Lawson was ready to play with it and the Bills might have let him if it didn't show itself to be a problem so soon/in practice.

no the gist is that they didn't anticipate it on draft day or did and weren't forthcoming. if i'd bought tickets in the interim, i'd be pi$$ed. fortunately, i didn't.

Edited by birdog1960

flip that wrist. it's a proven form of argument here. just don't flip the upper arm. we wouldn't want to force you into shoulder surgery.

I have no idea what you're referring to here.

As to your argument, common sense would seem to have prevailed relative to Shaq Lawson's medical condition. Not sure what else you require in way of argument.

GO BILLS!!!

no the gist is that they didn't anticipate it on draft day or did and weren't forthcoming. if i'd bought tickets in the interim, i'd be pi44ed. fortunately, i didn't.

Maybe you shouldn't even watch on TV? Most will admit it was a risk, as is every other pick. If you buy tickets to see one NFL player, you are misguided. It's a brutal game and you are asking to be disappointed.

Edited by Augie

no the gist is that they didn't anticipate it on draft day or did and weren't forthcoming. if i'd bought tickets in the interim, i'd be pi44ed. fortunately, i didn't.

Ah, I see.

No doubt the Bills FO could have framed the story differently. They often aren't very good in setting the narrative.

Bottom line is they took a calculated risk that he could play the season and postpone the surgery until after it was completed.

I seriously doubt they lost any would-be ticket buyers.

GO BILLS!!!

......Shefter was right. :cry:

Hopefully he's NOT right on the timing! Most people want to see high picks play immediately. I want to see high picks play at a high level over the life of the contract, and beyond. I REALLY want to win now, but it's more important to build a team to win over the long haul. (I realize that opens up the Sammy trade for debate again, but I'm sick of that argument - he could be great!)

Yea a lot of people owe him an apology.

Shefter said Lawson would need surgery at some point after the season, thus suggesting the expectation he could play the season before having it corrected. Not sure why anyone owes him an apology considering it was well known he had been playing with an injured shoulder in a brace at Clemson for some time. If Shefter had offered up the opinion that he would need surgery BEFORE the season began, I'd think he was really on to something and could understand an apology might be in order.

We took a calculated risk and lost in the short term. Stranger things have happened.

GO BILLS!!!

Ah, I see.

No doubt the Bills FO could have framed the story differently. They often aren't very good in setting the narrative.

Bottom line is they took a calculated risk that he could play the season and postpone the surgery until after it was completed.

GO BILLS!!!

the narrative? hell they could read dr seuss at pressers and i'd be happy as long as they produced a good team every decade or so. that's the narrative anyone buying tickets should consider.

no the gist is that they didn't anticipate it on draft day or did and weren't forthcoming. if i'd bought tickets in the interim, i'd be pi$$ed. fortunately, i didn't.

What you're missing is that Lawson felt he could play through it, like he did in college. The team felt otherwise after what happened in practice, otherwise they'd have scheduled surgery 2 weeks ago.

Ah, I see.

GO BILLS!!!

They need to hire Ben Rhodes.

Oops, wrong forum.

What you're missing is that Lawson felt he could play through it, like he did in college. The team felt otherwise after what happened in practice, otherwise they'd have scheduled surgery 2 weeks ago.

That's apparently too complicated for some to comprehend.

For some reason.....

the narrative? hell they could read dr seuss at pressers and i'd be happy as long as they produced a good team every decade or so. that's the narrative anyone buying tickets should consider.

Buying tickets for whatever reason varies according to the buyer. Like it or not, there are gonna be thousands of new ticket holders this year who don't care about our futile past. Nobody is stopping you from deciding you've had enough and quitting; it's totally understandable.

GO BILLS!!!

Shefter said Lawson would need surgery at some point after the season, thus suggesting the expectation he could play the season before having it corrected. Not sure why anyone owes him an apology considering it was well known he had been playing with an injured shoulder in a brace at Clemson for some time. If Shefter had offered up the opinion that he would need surgery BEFORE the season began, I'd think he was really on to something and could understand an apology might be in order.

We took a calculated risk and lost in the short term. Stranger things have happened.

GO BILLS!!!

Going by this crowd, Shefter owes us an apology because he assumed Lawson would be a day one starter. How could he miss this!? Incompetence at best!

Going by this crowd, Shefter owes us an apology because he assumed Lawson would be a day one starter. How could he miss this!? Incompetence at best!

I can cut him some slack.

But I really detest the 20/20 hindsight bullschit that much of the media resort to all too often. It's gutless.

GO BILLS!!!

They need to hire Ben Rhodes.

Oops, wrong forum.

what you're missing is that it doesn't matter what lawson thinks or wants. the bills are in control. that's pretty scary for the fans but good lord, how scared must lawson be?

what you're missing is that it doesn't matter what lawson thinks or wants. the bills are in control. that's pretty scary for the fans but good lord, how scared must lawson be?

What is pretty scary is that you keep railing on them for this. This will be forgotten next year and we will have Lawson for 4 more years. But yep let's base our draft picks on potentially missing 4-5 games. Meanwhile we should have grabbed Myles Jack :rolleyes:

Lawson could absolutely refuse to have surgery. And he might have done fine without it, wearing a brace. Hence the reason Whaley praised him for changing his mind.

What is pretty scary is that you keep railing on them for this. This will be forgotten next year and we will have Lawson for 4 more years. But yep let's base our draft picks on potentially missing 4-5 games. Meanwhile we should have grabbed Myles Jack :rolleyes:

Or Jaylon Smith, who still has foot drop 4 months after surgery.