Fitz calls his shot -Update Signed w/Jets

What's really telling is that a smart team like Bronco's that needed a QB had no interest in the guy.

I know it's become cliché, but, I thank my lucky stars that you are on the opposite end of the spectrum from me on this topic. That gives me great comfort.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We all love Fitzy. Obviously very smart and by all accounts is truly a regular guy. His teammates seem to like him, even his opponents. He's never going to say anything obviously stupid in front of a microphone.

He would be the perfect face of a franchise. But in the long run, under big game pressure, he's not a franchise quarterback. I think it would be better to be a backup somewhere if he really still has the itch to play. If not, he should walk away now and go into business or whatever he's got planned for the future.

I think it would be terrible to see him hanging on, moving from team to team, getting hurt, etc. I hope it works out well for him.

This. The Jets didn't take Hack in the 2nd to be a backup long-term and Fitz is likely looking for more money and years than they will want to spend. They probably also realize that they got a career year out of him which is unlikely to be duplicated. What's more, they'll need to create a lot of cap room just to accommodate him (see below) even for a doubling of his salary, at the years they would want (2). He lost a ton of leverage and his options are to take what they're offering, not that they probably can offer much (see below), wait for a starter to go down, or retire. It will be interesting to see which he chooses but the middle one is most likely.

The Jets are in a bind here. Their only options are to cut him, which would be dumb since he's their best defensive player or extend him, but that will take beaucoup dollars. Meaning they still have a ton of cap room if they want to add Fitz. They'll have to go with who they have.

How did he "lose a ton of leverage" when the Jets drafted yet another project at QB?

I doubt he's looking for a long term contract, just a per year salary commensurate for his worth over the next two years or so until the Jets figure out which of these craptastic young QBs on their roster will be able to start in his place.

How did he "lose a ton of leverage" when the Jets drafted yet another project at QB?

I doubt he's looking for a long term contract, just a per year salary commensurate for his worth over the next two years or so until the Jets figure out which of these craptastic young QBs on their roster will be able to start in his place.

How do you figure, much less know, the Jets consider Hack a "project at QB"? That is, outside of the year they're probably planning on giving him to sit and learn, like the Rams, Eagles, and Broncos are planning to do with their 1st rounders?

How do you figure, much less know, the Jets consider Hack a "project at QB"? That is, outside of the year they're probably planning on giving him to sit and learn, like the Rams, Eagles, and Broncos are planning to do with their 1st rounders?

I pray that they view him as a Day 1 starter. He's terrible.

Bowles already said it. Right now Geno is their #1 unless they sign Fitz.

If they do sign Fitz (or trade for Nick Foles, which was mentioned as a possibility yesterday) who ends up getting cut? Geno? It certainly wouldn't be Hack or Petty since this GM drafted both. So Geno is either the starter or he's on the street. Solid situation there, Jests.

Edited by YoloinOhio

If they do sign Fitz (or trade for Nick Foles, which was mentioned as a possibility yesterday) who ends up getting cut? Geno? It certainly wouldn't be Hack or Petty since this GM drafted both. So Geno is either the starter or he's on the street. Solid situation there, Jests.

would it be that crazy to just ship geno back on the bus that brings foles? let him be a camp fodder or project for the rams.

basically, give him to the rams for free.

Does this mean the Pats and Jets were just as good as each other then?

Rams are better than the Seahawks?

Nope. Again, talking specifically about the Bills and Jets. Why extrapolate out to other teams? It's a specific argument about two specific teams:

The Jets had the better season, they were not the better team. Not sure why that needs to be applied to other scenarios. The Jets got handled by the Bills twice, once with their season on the line and the Bills fielding a backup team. They also haven't come within a sniff of beating the Bills in going on 3 years... that's not a fluke. That's a pattern.

You really are trying to piss me off today, aren't you?

:lol: Not at all, but a weak point is a weak point. We're talking about sweeping a divisional rival that finished two games ahead of us in the win column yet hasn't won a head-to-head game against the Bills in going on 3 years. Comparing that to a non divisional fluke win as if it's a trump card is apples to oranges.