How Height Unfairly Sets Up NFL Quarterback Prospects for Su

Chilly

Really interesting article posted that argues biases against shorter quarterbacks cause us to set them up for failure. It makes the case that the way shorter, skilled quarterbacks are handled is the issue, not their size.

http://presnapreads.com/2016/04/24/how-height-unfairly-sets-up-nfl-quarterback-prospects-for-successfailure/

There's a few Tyrod mentions in the article. One thing that struck me was how Russell Wilson's pass chart was so close to Tyrod. The Seahawks Superbowl winning passing offense was darn close to ours from a pass choice perspective.

Roman is doing an excellent job setting Tyrod up for success and I can't wait to see another year of progression.

Edited by Chilly

Nice find Chilly!

That was a really interesting article and always thought just because someone is 6'1" doesn't mean they automatically can't do anything in the middle of the field. It's up to Roman to put TT in a position for success. I believe Roman can do it, and that TT will progress this year. I think we saved a pot of money and will be giving TT a nice payday next year.

If Rex can just deliver a top defense his way, we can be good this year. I'm still skeptical he can do it, but I truly want it to happen.

Nice find Chilly!

That was a really interesting article and always thought just because someone is 6'1" doesn't mean they automatically can't do anything in the middle of the field. It's up to Roman to put TT in a position for success. I believe Roman can do it, and that TT will progress this year. I think we saved a pot of money and will be giving TT a nice payday next year.

If Rex can just deliver a top defense his way, we can be good this year. I'm still skeptical he can do it, but I truly want it to happen.

Exactly the way I feel.

I felt all last season that Taylor not throwing over the middle was by design. It was setting him up for success. That being said I'd like to see him do it more.

Tyrod mentioned once about his height and said he needs to get better at seeing the throwing lanes open up.

I expect Roman via Taylor will use more of the field this coming season !

Nice link Chilly

ty

I'd still rather have the 6'5" pocket passer who runs only when it's absolutely necessary. And history shows they are generally the guys who win the most.

Of course they are because that describes 90% of the QBs in the NFL over history

I really have no clue how stuff like this gets published.

So the argument is people lacking prototypical physical attributes have an uphill battle??

Physical stereotypes aren't absolute?

Thresholds based on patterns aren't all encompassing?

How about Brady? His combine measures unfairly cast him as a late round flyer... I guess those measures don't matter either

The scatter plot distribution was interesting. But the written analysis just used too few data points to rationalize the "give 'em a chance" mantra

I felt all last season that Taylor not throwing over the middle was by design. It was setting him up for success. That being said I'd like to see him do it more.

There were also a lot of complaints (at least on this board) that TT was not "reading the field," and missing open players. But, you're right. They certainly played it safe for TT, hence his stellar TD:Int ratio.

Didn't read the entire article because it made the same argument I have about second round and later QBs... They don't succeed mainly because they don't get the chance. So I would argue by that logic that short QBs don't get the chance moreso because they're later round picks who happen to be short.

Dont' care what this article says. When you are short and have a slight build you have issues seeing the middle of the field. Add in not so great intelligence when it comes to sliding and you get hurt.

New QB pls.

Edited by kota

Dont' care what this article says. When you are short and have a slight build you have issues seeing the middle of the field. Add in not so great intelligence when it comes to sliding and you get hurt.

New QB pls.

Neither Flutie or Wilson seem to have injury issues but both very, very good at avoiding hits. Not know enough about Seneca Wilson who is 3rd QB mentioned in article.