Hockey Talks go Bad Today

millbank

The Fan 590 in Toronto has just said the Hockey talks between players and owners did not go well today and have ended with the Players union saying there will be no more talks . They are going to address the media shortly.

Its said the hard line owners would not allow a $45 million dollar cap .

from tsn.ca.....

Just three days after cancelling the 2004-2005 season, both the NHL and NHL Players' Association met in New York for 6 1/2 hours in an effort to table a new collective bargaining agreement and perhaps save the season - again. TSN's Bob McKenzie reports that no progress and no deal have materialized yet, while no further talks are scheduled at this point.

A source close to the talks added that despite the presence of Wayne Gretzky and Mario Lemieux, the situation was ''not good''.

The Fan 590 in Toronto has just said the Hockey talks between players and owners did not go well today and have ended  with the Players union saying there will be no more talks .  They are going to address the media shortly.

Its said the hard line owners would not allow a $45 million dollar cap .

246167[/snapback]

Im glad. No bandaid solutions. Nuke it. Start from scratch. Let both sides feel some more pain. Maybe they will realize the game has turned to **** and they will get it back to what it once was to regain some fan base.

Im glad. No bandaid solutions. Nuke it. Start from scratch. Let both sides feel some more pain. Maybe they will realize the game has turned to **** and they will get it back to what it once was to regain some fan base.

246173[/snapback]

God bless you

The sport doesn't need a bandaid, it needs a system that really work and work fairly for everyone. Blow the whole thing up, start it up in October using replacement players and a whole new series of rules. All these NHL guys went elsewhere and took jobs from minor league players, so let the NHLers get a taste of their own medicine.

Quickly enough, they'll start crossing the line, and three years from now no one will really care what happened in 2005.

Got to wonder why did owners call union on Thurday to talk again, bring in Gretzky and Lemieux and then have about eight hawk owners beat on the table today that they will not move at all on last offer in fact the last offer was to high. Really nice owners from Nashville and Florida and the likes ending hockey for the year. Nice going Gary you jackass........

Glad they did not put together a halfassed deal......the small markets are really having a lot of influence here.

Welcome the players back to a 35 million dollar cap sometime in the summer.

<_<  :doh:  :doh:

Either that, or break the damn "union" in half.

246180[/snapback]

As much as I would have loved to see some hockey, I agree with you 100%!

the players are idiots. How many hundreds of players whose average salary is $1.8 million won't be getting paid this year? Do they really think that in the long run they will be make more net money by insisting on an extra $3million from the cap??

the average career is probably 4 years or so, so for many players they've lost 25% of their career $$$$......

Got to wonder why did owners call union on Thurday to talk again, bring in Gretzky and Lemieux and then have about eight hawk owners beat on the table today that they will not move at all on last offer in fact the last offer was to high.  Really nice owners from Nashville and Florida and the likes ending hockey for the year. Nice going Gary you jackass........

246184[/snapback]

You've got to stop solely blaming the lawn gnome. He's simply one facet of this amazingly stupid game of chicken.

WTF????? Nothing like screwing fans over twice in one week. These people have to be really,really, really stupid. Any owner that doesn't want to play should get the F out of the league. Go ahead and fold the league for all I care. This really ticks me off. All these reports for the last day that it was a done deal and all the media that went to NY today, Announced at 3:30pm a press conference for 6pm to announce a done deal and by 4:20 it falls apart. Screw this. Maybe it's a NHLPA spin to not make themselves look any worse. Who cares at this point?

Got to wonder why did owners call union on Thurday to talk again, bring in Gretzky and Lemieux and then have about eight hawk owners beat on the table today that they will not move at all on last offer in fact the last offer was to high.  Really nice owners from Nashville and Florida and the likes ending hockey for the year. Nice going Gary you jackass........

246184[/snapback]

I am glad the owners are holding a hard line against the players. The players are still a bit too thick to see where the economic situation is going to end up. Too bad for them.

If necessary, bring on the replacements.

<_<:doh:

Glad they did not put together a halfassed deal......the small markets are really having a lot of influence here.

Welcome the players back to a 35 million dollar cap sometime in the summer.

<_<  :doh:  :doh:

Either that, or break the damn "union" in half.

246180[/snapback]

Yep! Sabres can't compete with a $45 cap. And if they did have salaries of $45, where do the Sab's get the revenue to support that without TV? Uh, maybe from us in higher ticket prices. Or better yet county subsidies that ultimately go to the Sabre players. So we some day raise taxes, today lay off workers, close parks, so Tim Connolly can get the $2,000,000 he deserves. Laughable. There is no way A Buffalo fan of hockey can logically take the players side. Really the owner's goals help us.......................if they also lower ticket prices when they get their low cap

God bless you

The sport doesn't need a bandaid, it needs a system that really work and work fairly for everyone.  Blow the whole thing up, start it up in October using replacement players and a whole new series of rules.  All these NHL guys went elsewhere and took jobs from  minor league players, so let the NHLers get a taste of their own medicine.

Quickly enough, they'll start crossing the line, and three years from now no one will really care what happened in 2005.

246178[/snapback]

Actually, I think this dicekering is not about reaching a real aggreement but actually both sides trying to not get blamed for creatingh an impasse when the owners go to the NLRB an call for one.

The players attempted to offer a last minute deal and Bettman responded by saying it was too late to negotiate as a prelude to declaing an impasse, but the players seeming willingness to give on the salary cap issue would have put the owners in a bad legal position and a bad petitioning position to declare an impasse.

The owners are tryimg to recover the initiative but the players have made this difficult by givig up on their primary demand and actually if the state of events are that hardline owners are going to get blamed for stopping this, it will be hard for the NHL to declare an impasse and thus have the right to do as you suggest.

I agree with you about your call for replacements, but actually I would like to see replacement owners because as much as I appreciate what Tom Golisano did, I am not going to pay my nickels to go watch Golisano, John Rigas or Jereemy Jacobs sit at center ice.

The game here strikes me is that if Goodenow and Bettman can both be fred, are there any different sources of capital to pay for the best players in the world to play hickey. There may be some as there are plenty of rich people and alttermate sources of capital in North America (this is all the owners orovide) and the main problem for hockey is that moneyed folks will find it easier to make money off of NASCAR than off of hockey if they care about sports. Hockey (particularly in the southern US)is a tough sale to rich sources of capital.

However, alternate large sources of capital from coporaions who look to bond with communities everywhere and have far larger cash investments than hocley and the networks which need something to fill air time so they cal sell commercials are possible options.

We definitiely need replacements but it is repalcement owners that can save hokey.

In baseball, the money from the "luxury tax" is given to teams at the end of the revenue scale. The last proposal I heard for the NHL was a 100% tax for going over the cap, compared to 17.5% for baseball (and MLB also has revenue sharing to a degree), but I don't know if that money would be given to the struggling clubs. The ideal would be the NFL's model, with possibly adding a minimum amount teams must spend on players.