How the Braves came to Buffalo -- and why they left

I was surprised to hear he's only 78. I remember going to Darien Lake as a kid when it was just a pond an ice cream parlor and a game room. We'd ride our bikes there. I think all my older sisters worked there and my oldest baby sat for Snyder and always had nice things to say about him.

Went to a few Braves games but never a Canisius college game; I did hear from people who went to Canisus basketball games however and they expected their games to have top billing in evening however and "did not need the Braves to warm up crowd". At UB where I was when Braves were playing at end of run those who were fans were mad at Canisius and Braves for "disputes" they were having but never paid enough attention what disputes were about.

If Snyder think that story should make people like him (he doesn't care) that last quote about never giving McAdoo the portrait shows his true colors.

I'd reserve judgement on that.

From the article it sounds like McAdoo has been annoying about it.

I know people will assume that because Snyder is wealthy he's also materialistic but that's not always true and covetous people who demand you sell(or give) them things are really hard to tolerate when you aren't one. :thumbdown:

Anyway......this story is a lesson that's been taught many times in WNY.......if you make it hard for the captains of industry to accomplish their goals then don't be surprised when they cut bait.

Unfortunately for us the Braves were probably the one Buffalo pro sports team that had the personnel touch to actually be great.

can you just imagine a starting 5 of Malone, Dantley, McAdoo...Tiny and Randy in the backcourt.....mutiple titles in my mind

That team could have won a lot of titles.

The late 70's NBA was up for grabs.

Big men dominated back then and that would have been the best front court in the NBA for sure.

It would be hard to find a statistical parallel since to what McAdoo did in years 2 thru 4 in Buffalo.

Leading the league in scoring three straight years and being the last man to average 30 points and 15 rebounds in a season.

He's largely forgotten though.

I found that story really interesting. I always only knew little snippets of the story, never the whole picture. I've never been a big Bucky fan, but he did a pretty nice job there.

I'd reserve judgement on that.

From the article it sounds like McAdoo has been annoying about it.

I know people will assume that because Snyder is wealthy he's also materialistic but that's not always true and covetous people who demand you sell(or give) them things are really hard to tolerate when you aren't one. :thumbdown:

Anyway......this story is a lesson that's been taught many times in WNY.......if you make it hard for the captains of industry to accomplish their goals then don't be surprised when they cut bait.

Unfortunately for us the Braves were probably the one Buffalo pro sports team that had the personnel touch to actually be great.

I agree with you there. The story painted Brown in a much harsher light than Snyder, which Bucky confirms here: A meeting with Snyder results in a change of perspective

Not sure why, but, I came away thinking that Snyder will make sure that McAdoo get's the painting after his death.

I thought the same thing!

Not sure why, but, I came away thinking that Snyder will make sure that McAdoo get's the painting after his death.

I thought the same thing!

I as well. Maybe we are used to the pattern in Buffalo - owner of sports team who heavily participates in charities appreciated after his death. I heard from people 2nd hand that Ralph gave a number of items he kept to players as part of his will.

If Snyder think that story should make people like him (he doesn't care) that last quote about never giving McAdoo the portrait shows his true colors.

No kidding

I met the late great Randy Smith at the Buffalo Airport. We were both in line heading Charlotte. He was in Buffalo for a golf event. He talked to me for ten minutes straight about the Braves. My favorite during the Braves run.