NHL to have a salary cap, what will happen?

JP-era

What this won't help the Sabres with, is they will STILL be losing money even at their current salary level in the low 30's.  I believe they lost somewhere around 10 million last year. Therefore ticket prices will have to remain at their current level and the Sabres will have to make it to the 2nd round of the playoffs(each home game will probably generate about $1 million in ticket sales) in order to reduce the size of their losses.

246112[/snapback]

So if the Sabres loose $10,000,000, which they do, and clear an extra mil per playoff game, they would have to make it to the finals every year just to break even..........yeah they could do that <_<

Actually I agree with your entire post. At $45 there is still a problem for maybe half the clubs

The NHL needs a HARD cap and revenue sharing.  They also need to realize that they need each other to make a successful product.  The NFL did that awhile ago and things have been great ever since.  Sure it's not ideal for the players, who would want to make more money than the owners if they could, but tough sh--.

245950[/snapback]

I totally agree w/ Hard cap and revenue sharing. Also, the contracts should not be guaranteed. They need to be able to cut players if need be.

So if the Sabres loose $10,000,000, which they do, and clear an extra mil per playoff game, they would have to make it to the finals every year just to break even..........yeah they could do that    :doh:

Actually I agree with your entire post.  At $45 there is still a problem for maybe half the clubs

246207[/snapback]

If the Sabres have home ice advantage and each series goes 7 games, that is 4 home games. Two rounds of the playoffs at roughly 1 million per game...8 million dollars. They are all ballpark numbers...my point was that getting into the playoffs helps a club like the Sabres reduce their losses.