The Cicadas are coming!! The Cicadas are coming!!!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/04/15/billions-of-cicadas-will-descend-upon-the-northeastern-united-states-as-another-17-year-cycle-conclude/

Two things:

1) If you are a flyfisherman, you understand the excitement when Cicadas start falling into the river.

B) Given a Cicada emerges every 17 years to mate, I think we found a new nickname for DCTom.

The 17 year cicadas will prevent me from making the home opener.

God only sends a plague upon sinners like you. Put some heavy duty goggles on, hop on your motor scooter and drive to Orchard Park. Your mate/wife can wait another 17 years for you to "re-emerge".

Awwwwww !@#$!!! I was planning on coming this year. Really I was. Oh well maybe next time. :D

This is complete and utter bull ****. You are actually intimidated by Gugny's grilling skills...that's why you are hesitant to show up.

Mayflies are emerging to @ this time of the year... Especially near the Upper MS River. We don't get much here @ work, but they have the reportinf form to fill out. When I was in Dubuque, Iowa you could shovel them. Wake up in the morning and it was like snow piled up outside your motel door. Mayflied get so heavy, they pick them up on weather radar.

"There are several “broods” of cicadas, which is based on which cycle they’re part of. Most of these broods are comprised of different species of cicada, and different broods emerge and swarm around different parts to the country (in different years)."

They don't bite...but they're loud as hell.

Oh, they're loud. We had some in our maple trees last year. About as annoying as fingernails on a blackboard, amplified by a concert sized sound system Sometimes we had to shout at each other if we were in the front yard when they were screeching.

Oh, they're loud. We had some in our maple trees last year. About as annoying as fingernails on a blackboard, amplified by a concert sized sound system Sometimes we had to shout at each other if we were in the front yard when they were screeching.

Sounds like aliens landing. Edited by PromoTheRobot

"There are several “broods” of cicadas, which is based on which cycle they’re part of. Most of these broods are comprised of different species of cicada, and different broods emerge and swarm around different parts to the country (in different years)."

Yep... The 17 year brood here won't emerge for some years. I forget which year was the big one here, a while back. I wanna say another 10 years?

There are also the yearly broods I think... At times it is deafening!

Here is a nice site with chart:

http://www.magicicada.org/about/brood_pages/broods.php

So you guys are basically saying the Washington Post has their heads up their asses?? That the 17 year brood is not due for another 10 years? That would make them a 27 year variety.....I'm confuzzled. You guys are fool of bull ****.

No. They aren't emerging here when I read the WaPost in Illinois. :nana:

Are you sure the neighbors weren't just having loud sex?