Raiders looking to move to Las Vegas?

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another dagger in the NFL. People are sick of the imperialistic greed and the constant use of taxpayer handouts for billionaires who put one community against another is a bad look. People care, it's that simple. Throw in garbage international games; threats on international teams; 3.5 hours games with too many commercials; concussions and crippling injuries and this league is on the way down.

How many foreclosed homes and bums will you pass on the way to the stadium? $750 mil of public money could definitely have been used elsewhere. The Pegula definitely won't get anything like that around here

How many foreclosed homes and bums will you pass on the way to the stadium? $750 mil of public money could definitely have been used elsewhere. The Pegula definitely won't get anything like that around here

Living here in Vegas, there is close to 2 million residents..drive through town every day and there is plenty of occupied houses. By the way 750 million dollars is a drop in the bucket. This town is all about money. Oh yeah, it's a tourist tax, so thank you for supporting the new Raiders franchise.That said can't wait for the Bills to come here and beat them.

Vegas could support an NFL franchise but I question the ability of the team to attract local fans. It'll be another strip attraction like Celine Dion, Blue Man Group, etc. You will get people in Vegas for the weekend but how many local fans are you going to attract? It's a transient town that sees a lot of people moving in and out.

Until a domed stadium is built, I really question their ability to attract people for preseason and early regular season games... having visited in August when the temperature was 110, you'd have to pay me large sums of money to sit out in the stands in the sun to watch a game. The preseason games could be played at night, but unless they plan on playing the first few weeks of the regular season in primetime when it begins to cool off, I think it's going to be a really hard sell.

Another dagger in the NFL. People are sick of the imperialistic greed and the constant use of taxpayer handouts for billionaires who put one community against another is a bad look. People care, it's that simple. Throw in garbage international games; threats on international teams; 3.5 hours games with too many commercials; concussions and crippling injuries and this league is on the way down.

Well, this is obviously not true....hence the topic of this thread.

Commercial breaks have been agreed upon by contract and scheduled as is for years. It's how you are able to enjoy free NFL football on TV. Concussions and injuries are nothing new in the NFL. You are just complaining about them now?

Living here in Vegas, there is close to 2 million residents..drive through town every day and there is plenty of occupied houses. By the way 750 million dollars is a drop in the bucket. This town is all about money. Oh yeah, it's a tourist tax, so thank you for supporting the new Raiders franchise.That said can't wait for the Bills to come here and beat them.

Wow, "plenty" of occupied homes! 17% are in foreclosure and most of those are being bought up by investors and converted to rentals because they can be so cheaply. The unemployment rate is 7%. The state has the 4th highest foreclosure sale rate. Yet the state found a way to raise $750 million (it doesn't matter who's paying) that they had no use for a few months ago?

Vegas has always been a vacation destination for suckers. Now they live there as well.

Cheap? The median price of a house is 240k. Regardless if the houses are owned or rented out, they are occupied. This is the entertainment capital of the world with alot of things to do. To call everyone that visits and lives here "suckers" makes you sound salty. Anyways the theme is about the Raiders, and they will be successful in Vegas.

Vegas could build a stadium just because it would enable them to host larger events. They don't even need an NFL team.

The Raider just kind of belong in Oakland. The Ray-Daahz are Oakland material. I never thought Vegas would get any team. I'm startiing to think it's inevitable, and maybe not all so bad. (I could change my mind again tomorrow.)

Vegas could build a stadium just because it would enable them to host larger events. They don't even need an NFL team.

Like...what? There already exist the UNLV stadium and it's few non football events bookings are a handful of Monster Truck shows and a motocross event.

This line of thinking is always put forward but never bears out....

Like...what? There already exist the UNLV stadium and it's few non football events bookings are a handful of Monster Truck shows and a motocross event.

This line of thinking is always put forward but never bears out....

I think that is almost always true, but Vegas is potentially an exception. It is such an event town that it may attract prize fights, bowls games, kickoff classic, mega concerts, etc... I am looking at it more like Jerry world. It still isn't a ton of dates (maybe 40) but I'd imagine that it will host some big ticket events. It will be used more than the stadium in Pittsburgh as an example.

Believe it or not he Superdome is used quite a bit because New Orleans is such a destination city. It hosts a Mardi Gras parade, Essence Fest and a bunch of other regular events (some of which are multi-day). I think that it is close to 50 dates actually. That seems likely for Vegas IMO.

Atlanta is no Vegas, but I'm amazed at how much the Georgia Dome is used and draws HUGE crowds. The Mercedes Benz dome is coming together next door, which will only make the experience that much more cool. How will Buffalo fare trying to draw those crowds? I hope for the best.

I think that is almost always true, but Vegas is potentially an exception. It is such an event town that it may attract prize fights, bowls games, kickoff classic, mega concerts, etc... I am looking at it more like Jerry world. It still isn't a ton of dates (maybe 40) but I'd imagine that it will host some big ticket events. It will be used more than the stadium in Pittsburgh as an example.

Believe it or not he Superdome is used quite a bit because New Orleans is such a destination city. It hosts a Mardi Gras parade, Essence Fest and a bunch of other regular events (some of which are multi-day). I think that it is close to 50 dates actually. That seems likely for Vegas IMO.

The claim was that a stadium could be built just to satisfy the demands for such a venue for these events right now. There is no evidence of this. There is a football stadium there right now that can't attract/book such events. Why would these events materialize in the future? There are no stadium prize fights. The UNLV already hosts the bowl game. Mega concerts are not playing the Vegas venue now--there are few in existence anywhere in the country.

A couple of events a months would never pay for such a huge stadium.

The claim was that a stadium could be built just to satisfy the demands for such a venue for these events right now. There is no evidence of this. There is a football stadium there right now that can't attract/book such events. Why would these events materialize in the future? There are no stadium prize fights. The UNLV already hosts the bowl game. Mega concerts are not playing the Vegas venue now--there are few in existence anywhere in the country.

A couple of events a months would never pay for such a huge stadium.

I'm not saying that the stadium could be built JUST for those events. I was saying that it would fit along well with the football. That wouldn't be the case in Oakland for example.

Those other events will certainly materialize though. There are stadium fights pretty much every year (think Canelo just fought in Dallas). That would be once or twice a year. Bigger music fesitvals like EDC and country superfest which are 3-4 day events could go there. I wouldn't be surprised if Ultra Music Fest moved there or at least EDC grow to that. They can also host longer runs of major artists because people will go there. As an example The Rolling Stones may play 1 night in Buffalo but 5 in Vegas. The HS football playoffs and Bishop Gorman will be there. The new stadium in Vegas will easily be 50 plus nights now that I think about it.

The reason that Vegas doesn't have that stuff now is the venue doesn't exist. Sam Boyd Stadim seats 40K max and is pretty much a dump. The new stadium will be significantly larger and a palace.

Edited by Kirby Jackson