Bills Working on extensions for Gilmore & Maybe Tyrod

So everyone basically: 1 QB, 3 Pass Rushers, 3 or 4 Pass stoppers, 3 or 4 Pass Protectors... So you are paying top dollar to 10 to 12 of 24 starters? Not possible with the salary cap. Maybe 2 or 3 guys on offense and 2 or 3 on defense. That's it.

I think you can afford to pay more than 5 or 6 guys. Polian said years ago you can basically pay your quarterback and 10 other players. The Bills are paying McCoy Clay Wood Gilmore AaronW Dareus KyleW Hughes Glenn incognito all at once.

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm talking about the message doing a Tyrod deal sends Gilmore.

That we'll reward a guy after 14 games of decent play when asked to execute a limited playbook, but not a guy with 4 seasons of very good play after being asked to play in his most challenging role to date?

That's some message right there

I think you can afford to pay more than 5 or 6 guys. Polian said years ago you can basically pay your quarterback and 10 other players. The Bills are paying McCoy Clay Wood Gilmore AaronW Dareus KyleW Hughes Glenn incognito all at once.

Of the players listed, only Glenn, Dareus, and Gilmore are making "premium" money.

That we'll reward a guy after 14 games of decent play when asked to execute a limited playbook, but not a guy with 4 seasons of very good play after being asked to play in his most challenging role to date?

That's some message right there

Of the players listed, only Glenn, Dareus, and Gilmore are making "premium" money.

QB vs CB.

Not saying I want this. But if Gilmore insists on beating Norman's deal, what are you going to do? Pay him and then tell Taylor you can't afford him?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

QB vs CB.

Not saying I want this. But if Gilmore insists on beating Norman's deal, what are you going to do? Pay him and then tell Taylor you can't afford him?

For one, they can afford them both; whether they want to give Gilmore what he wants is another issue altogether.

For another, the deals are mutually exclusive. You don't pay Taylor now be he's still an unproven commodity; there's no codependency on Gilmore's deal being done.

That's some message right there.

It won't be after just 14 games with a limited playbook. I suspect they'll put a lot more on his plate and look to extend him sometime mid season.

It won't be after just 14 games with a limited playbook. I suspect they'll put a lot more on his plate and look to extend him sometime mid season.

That is what I suspect as well. They are going to try to extend him the second that they are sure that he is the guy. It's a bit of a balancing act. You can't do it until you are sure that he is the guy but every minute from that point forward the price rises.

That is what I suspect as well. They are going to try to extend him the second that they are sure that he is the guy. It's a bit of a balancing act. You can't do it until you are sure that he is the guy but every minute from that point forward the price rises.

Yeah but only marginally. His floor (I.e. right now) is $18M/year. With a good half-season, it's $20M/year

itll be interesting. this is one spot i think rex might be good for us, in this way:

if the coach feels there is an ultimatum on the table, sometimes you get them coaching safe and steering into that 9 win season where you dont really learn anything about what you have. i do, for better and worse, feel like rex has a bit of "screw it, lets go down in flames if we are going down" and will push to open things up even if it ends up looking bad.