Bills Working on extensions for Gilmore & Maybe Tyrod

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure if I would agree with you that Gilmore is better than Haden

CBF

Haden has been pretty average since he signed that deal. Last year, albeit struggling with health, he gave up a 158.2 passer rating (158.3 is the max).

Gilmore hasn't had a slump quite like that.

I knew my comment was going to come back to bite me.

I'm not taking anything away from Gilmore. He is a great CB and I am well aware of his pass breakups but let me ask you this then...

What kind of stats should a CB making $15M a year have?

CBF

Here's the tough thing. I don't think basic stats are going to help figure out worth. A lot of the time, a dominant corner doesn't get thrown at enough to have fantastic stats.

I'll pose these questions:

1) Does the opposition match up their best WR on him or do they sacrifice someone and let their #1 WR work on the other side?

2) When matched up on the #1 WR, how do his targets compare to being matched up on other #1 corners?

If a corner is taking away half of the field and/or the opposition's biggest WR threat consistently, he's a stud. I think Gilmore qualifies as a top 8 player at a position with a lot of talent.

I'm not taking anything away from Gilmore. He is a great CB and I am well aware of his pass breakups but let me ask you this then...

CBF

I'd look at yards allowed, catches allowed, tds allowed as a jumping off point

And then some things like breakups per target maybe

those don't tell the whole story but waaaaay better than ints

@viccarucci

Stephon Gilmore might want Josh Norman CB money, but the #Bills have no intention of giving it to him. BN Blitz: https://t.co/WJcOPEsYtW

If Stephon Gilmore wants Josh Norman cornerback money, he'll have to get it from another team. I'm told the Bills have no intention of giving Gilmore a contract that will come close to the five-year, $75-million deal Norman received to join the Washington Redskins as a free agent.

So that's where the sides are, $2M/year apart. Just playing with big, round numbers here, but if we're to be tagged each of the next two seasons his salaries would be about $11M, $14M & $17M. That's $42M for 3 years, or $14M per season. Obviously the Bills don't want to have to tie up their tag for those two seasons - especially since the possibility of needing it for Taylor next offseason is a real consideration - but those numbers are something to work with.

Haden has been pretty average since he signed that deal. Last year, albeit struggling with health, he gave up a 158.2 passer rating (158.3 is the max).

Gilmore hasn't had a slump quite like that.

No, but Haden was compensated for his stellar play prior to his signing his last contract. He actually played great overall up until last season when he was absolutely abysmal.

Still, that season is a caution to both sides. Playing under a tag is a huge risk for Gilmore. A bad season or injury and he could lose tens of millions of dollars. Of course, hitting free agency could net him that much more. Still, Norman was a pfree agent when he signed his deal. Gilmore isn't. There's a discount on overall contract for mitigation of risk and cash in hand. I expect to see him top 7 in average salary, but not at Norman's level. Probably in that $14M per season range.

Here is a link to CB contracts:

http://overthecap.com/position/cornerback/

Edited by BarleyNY

CBF

Stats that suggest he is among the stingiest when targeted, if at all.

GO BILLS!!!

Gah.

I hate this--I really want Gilmore back next year, and while I understand why he wants $15M AAV, that's a ton of money.

I'd feel a lot better if a Robey were playing good football the last two years, as that would leave a worst case scenario of needing one starting corner next year.

If Gilmore leaves, we really need one of Seymour/White/Moore/Arenas/Butler to step up

He's under contract now for a reasonable price . If he won't sign long term and is going to mope, see what the trade market is.

I imagine it can't be high for a player approaching FAgency unless he agrees to a deal with our trading partner before hand.

GO BILLS!!!

Gilmore is a real talent. The cap dictates you can't have real talent everywhere all the time.

With guys like Sam Bradford making $83 trillion a year or whatever he makes and Andrew Luck about to doom Indianapolis into an eventual move to San Antonio, I'd prefer to keep Gilmore. I also understand the Bills being cautious because they may need to save money for TT. I don't think there is really anyone to blame here. The Bills are being cautious, Gilmore is doing what he needs to do. I hope he stays.

Gilmore is a real talent. The cap dictates you can't have real talent everywhere all the time.

With guys like Sam Bradford making $83 trillion a year or whatever he makes and Andrew Luck about to doom Indianapolis into an eventual move to San Antonio, I'd prefer to keep Gilmore. I also understand the Bills being cautious because they may need to save money for TT. I don't think there is really anyone to blame here. The Bills are being cautious, Gilmore is doing what he needs to do. I hope he stays.

i dont.. injury prone , always felt he was overrated.. but that is.. JMHO.

i dont.. injury prone , always felt he was overrated.. but that is.. JMHO.

I guess we'll disagree on that. A broken wrist could happen to anyone. That is where he lost the most time. I think he is very smooth and I rarely worry about him getting exploited. He is also anything but a loud mouth punk like many corners have been lately. Just goes out there and does his thing. 22 players like him and you hold up a trophy at year's end.

I guess we'll disagree on that. A broken wrist could happen to anyone. That is where he lost the most time. I think he is very smooth and I rarely worry about him getting exploited. He is also anything but a loud mouth punk like many corners have been lately. Just goes out there and does his thing. 22 players like him and you hold up a trophy at year's end.

respect your opinion.. and very valid. but i think due to the norman contract, he is being unrealistic. take your chances with robey , seymour.. why hamstring the organization. they draft corners number i every year , or so it seems.. this guy , IMHO, is not revis.

@viccarucci

Stephon Gilmore might want Josh Norman CB money, but the #Bills have no intention of giving it to him. BN Blitz: https://t.co/WJcOPEsYtW

If Stephon Gilmore wants Josh Norman cornerback money, he'll have to get it from another team. I'm told the Bills have no intention of giving Gilmore a contract that will come close to the five-year, $75-million deal Norman received to join the Washington Redskins as a free agent.

They will continue to draft CB's every year.

They will continue to draft CB's every year.

Sort of like they prioritized it heavily in this year's draft, waiting until the 6th round to take one?

Also, CB is by far the most commonly drafted position, so that's hardly a bold prediction