Bills Working on extensions for Gilmore & Maybe Tyrod

Gilmore wants to be the highest paid CB in the league, according to Carucci. I'm not sure the Bills are prepared to do that.

Edited by Rubes

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gilmore wants to be the highest paid CB in the league, according to Carucci. I'm not sure the Bills are prepared to do that.

That's a tough one - which we knew it would be. It's so difficult to find good corners - it's even more difficult to find one young and with the right height and speed. Corners are in the top 3-4 most important positions on a team, IMO. I think you have to pay him - but it's not an easy pill to swallow.

He's only started 9, 14, 12 games each of the past 3 years. He got injured making a routine tackle last season. Durability is a huge concern IMO... same with Tyrod.

He hasn't missed any more time in his first 4 years than guys like Patrick Peterson and Joe Haden FWIW

The Bills need a remedial Cap Management 101 course to help them.

I can see it now if there are further negotiation problems with Gilmore. Some fans will say he's expendable with Darby on the roster. Or that they can find another good CB in the draft. Or Gilmore's asking price was too high. All of this ignores the root of the problem with the front office: They make bad decisions at an alarmingly high rate. Those McCoy and Clay contracts are going to hurt, and represent money given to non-homegrown players.

I can see it now if there are further negotiation problems with Gilmore. Some fans will say he's expendable with Darby on the roster. Or that they can find another good CB in the draft. Or Gilmore's asking price was too high. All of this ignores the root of the problem with the front office: They make bad decisions at an alarmingly high rate. Those McCoy and Clay contracts are going to hurt, and represent money given to non-homegrown players.

If the bills broke the bank for him you would be bitching about that too

Not suprised by this post.

Make sure you go ahead and assume things will go sour well before they do.

I mean, the guy is in attendance and doing interviews at Minicamp, and both sides say talks are ongoing, so there's plenty of reason to assume that they'll go as you're saying here...or not.

It just amazes me at how quickly some folks want to paint every single piece of information disseminated from the media as an indictment of the organization.

Did they need a lesson in cap management 101 when they re-signed Cordy Glenn? Richie Incognito? Marcell Dareus? Jerry Hughes?

Sometimes I wonder...

If the bills broke the bank for him you would be bitching about that too

Not suprised by this post.

It's odd too because it just isn't true. The Bills have plenty of cap room for Gilmore and TT. The cap space isn't an issue at all. I think some members of this board may need the salary cap class if they think it is an issue.

It is a matter of meeting on the right numbers. Someone earlier said that he wants to be the highest paid corner in the league. I like Gilmore but I wouldn't pay him that. He is a $13M a year (ish) guy to me.

It's odd too because it just isn't true. The Bills have plenty of cap room for Gilmore and TT. The cap space isn't an issue at all. I think some members of this board may need the salary cap class if they think it is an issue.

It is a matter of meeting on the right numbers. Someone earlier said that he wants to be the highest paid corner in the league. I like Gilmore but I wouldn't pay him that. He is a $13M a year (ish) guy to me.

Yup. Agree completely.

Cap space isn't the issue, the issue is Gilmore's perceived worth vs the Bills' perceived value on him. Dareus got pretty testy in the media before signing his extension, this to me is much the same. It'll get worked out and Gilmore will sign... or he will walk because he truly does want to be the highest paid CB in the league. I still think the prudent thing to do for the Bills is to overpay him up front, structuring the deal so they're paying Gilmore elite money early while Darby is under his rookie deal and make it easier to walk away from Gilmore when Darby's deal is due. Two elite CBs for the price of one if they work it right... and if Darby is truly elite (that remains to be seen of course).

Who is the highest paid corner in the league now? Is it that schlep from the Rams who signed with NYG? If so, I'd want more than him too if I am Gilmore. He's not top 5 in the league yet but he's close IMO and I'd bet he will get what he wants on the market here or elsewhere. That said, if it's between him and tyrod I'll always go with the QB.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Who is the highest paid corner in the league now? Is it that schlep from the Rams who signed with NYG? If so, I'd want more than him too if I am Gilmore. He's not top 5 in the league but he's close and I'd bet he will get what he wants on the market. That said if it's between him and tyrod I'll always go QB.

I think that someone said Josh Norman is now.

considering Norman's age vs Gilmore's age, I don't blame Gilmore for asking for more. Not sure I'd pay it if I'm buffalo but I hope he signs, obviously.

I'm with you, I want Gilmore back. I think the guy is one of the keys to making this defense work, not just this year but in the long term. But I don't think they should dramatically overpay to keep him. It'll be tough to see him go, but I'm still pretty confident both sides will work it out. Hard not to be optimistic based on the (limited) Pegula track record of keeping our own.

I think one of two things are going to happen here.

1. Gilmore really wants to be the highest paid CB. And, will wait for free agency. But, that is two years away. One under contract and one if we use the Franchise Tag. Tagging someone back to back seasons is very rare (if it has ever been done).

2. Gilmore is just trying to negotiate the best contract and will sign before the season starts.

My thoughts are IF Gilmore is trying to squeeze an extra $5 million out of a contract because his ego wants him to be the highest paid CB it would truly be an ego thing. That is because he is essentially gambling approx. $40 million guaranteed to maybe make an extra $5 for the sake of $5 million or the ego to be the highest paid corner. What if Gilmore gets hurts this year? What if $40 million guaranteed is not on the table anymore.

My guess based on this is that Gilmore will resign between now and camp.