MMA Fighter Dies From Head Injuries

IDBillzFan

Is it me, or was this just a headline everyone knew would come?

I don't follow the sport, but I have an friend who fights UFC and I am quietly worried for him.

Will the death of Carvalho from injuries sustained in a bout cause any changes? Or is this just a case of "They know what they're getting into..."?

The 28-year-old complained of feeling unwell after Saturday's fight against Irishman Charlie Ward was stopped by the referee in the third round.
The Portuguese welterweight, who fought for Team Nobrega, was taken to hospital and had emergency brain surgery that night but died on Monday evening after 48 hours in intensive care.
A statement from Total Extreme Fighting (TEF), which staged the event at Dublin's National Stadium, confirmed Carvalho's death.

I stopped watching boxing years ago. Mostly because it's fixed; but also because I find it barbaric.

I don't begrudge MMA fans and I'm okay with it being legal in NY (if they want to beat the schit out of each other and it benefits tax payers, have at it - they're adults). But I think it's the most barbaric sport going. That's why I choose not to watch.

I stopped watching boxing years ago. Mostly because it's fixed; but also because I find it barbaric.

I don't begrudge MMA fans and I'm okay with it being legal in NY (if they want to beat the schit out of each other and it benefits tax payers, have at it - they're adults). But I think it's the most barbaric sport going. That's why I choose not to watch.

It benefits taxpayers until we have to pay to take care of the vegetables down the road.

You could be onto something. Maybe they should just fight to the death.

Well that usually means only one dies. We're still on the hook for the survivor. Unless we release the lions on the survivor. I'm good with that. No :thumbsup: only :thumbdown:

Happens in boxing too. Like when the Korean fighter died fighting ray Mancini. In boxing case it led to changes like reducing the rounds from 15 to 12

This is true because everyone knows the major brain damage didn't come about until rounds 13-15. :rolleyes:

That does not work if one fighter does not die; maybe winning fighter has to be signed to NFL so NFL can pay for CTE damage.

It's a little known fact, there, Norm, that the Emperor's use of thumbs up or thumbs down to decide the fate of a gladiator is actually a myth. But I like your thinking.

Romans did many things opposite in how they are done now. Romans nodded no not yes as an example.

Is it me, or was this just a headline everyone knew would come?

I don't follow the sport, but I have an friend who fights UFC and I am quietly worried for him.

Will the death of Carvalho from injuries sustained in a bout cause any changes? Or is this just a case of "They know what they're getting into..."?

it's still way less dangerous than boxing, it's sad that he died but causalities are basically non existent

It benefits taxpayers until we have to pay to take care of the vegetables down the road.

Dramatic much, get a hold of yourselves people :doh:

:thumbsup::thumbsup: Roman times baby!!!

That does not work if one fighter does not die; maybe winning fighter has to be signed to NFL so NFL can pay for CTE damage.

Romans did many things opposite in how they are done now. Romans nodded no not yes as an example.

Clearly why they lost the empire