Lady has meltdown at LaGuardia airport

Portions of the LGA runways are built on piers, over water or swamp. IF the winds exceed the max crosswind component for the airplane then it will divert for safety.

She can scream all she wants, that won't change.

As for "getting names," these are not "career" people. They're mostly $10 an hour contract type hires, who don't even work for AA. They will only take and do so much before they flip her off and quit. They will then be replaced by similar non-career people who have no power to solve her complaint. It's unfortunate, but that's the way most of the airlines operate, so I wish I could tell her that it's going to get better, but it's not.

The employees no longer have a vested interest in customer service. .

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On our return from Italy last year, our connecting flight in Heathrow was cancelled. We were in a long line handled by two agents, and this one woman was laying into an agent not unlike what you see in the video.

When the lady moved on, the next person started in on her, and while the agent was silent and patient, I kept telling my wife "Man, I hope we don't get her because she looks like she's going to pull a knife on the next customer."

Sure enough, we get this woman, and the first thing I said to her was "I' m really sorry for all the grief you're taking. You're not responsible for the flight cancellation. Just let us know where we're going to spend the night and we'll worry about getting home tomorrow."

I thought she was going to cry. She spent the next ten minutes on two different phones until she got all three of us on a different airline's flight to LAX that afternoon. Upgraded. No charge.

There's a lesson there, I reckon.

Used to work in customer service as a cashier. Some dude was screaming at me about something stupid (items not on the shelf since I have so much control of that) I was really calm but firm with the guy and finally the guy left. Next customer comes up and says "I'm sorry you have to deal with !@#$s like him. I really respect how calm you were because I know that's not easy." He then gave me 5 bucks and said coffee was on him.

Having worked in customer service, I would never yell at a ticket agent. I know how little power they have but also how quickly they can fix your problem.

First, people pretty much suck, so the following isn't an excuse, but from the article and others it seems that everyone had a bigger problem with the communication of those people on the ground. They were strung along for hours without a whole lot of accurate updates.

Air travel is stressful. Everything is booked to the max and scheduled so tightly that every little thing starts a domino effect that screws things up all over the country. It's especially frustrating for people who don't travel often and have a naïve outlook on the process. I used to fly constantly for work, but now-a-days I do it as little as possible (maybe once or twice a year tops). I hate everything about the whole experience.

And that explains why the gate agent usually has no idea what the story is in a major weather delay situation and hence, does not have clear, correct information to give to the ignorant c--t who is screaming at her.

This is another example of how Americans think absolutely nothing should ever go wrong in their lives and if it does they should be completely free to kick, scream, sue or shoot until they are satisfied. How dare we be forced into inconvenience by the planet's weather!

i don't want to turn this thread all political or anything but boy oh boy, if the wrong person becomes president we are gonna have a lot of entitled little brats running around.

I think that ship has sailed and is well out of sight.

Edited by KD in CT

This just as easily could have been my fiance last night, but in Philly.

Same American Airlines, which is now obviously the worst airline out there.

Her first leg was Charleston to Philly. Barely 1000 miles. About a 90 minute flight. Supposed to be, at least.

They take off from Charleston, and 45 minutes later announce they have to land in Baltimore. They didn't put enough gas in the plane to make it all the way to Philly! So they land, re-fuel, and make their way to Philly... where everyone has already missed their connections.

American's response? "Here is a voucher for a meal. You can stay in the airport until the next flight to Buffalo at 7am, or go get yourself a hotel room". Mind you, this is at about 10:30pm.

While she and some other passengers were lighting up the gate attendants in front of the people waiting at the same gate to board their flight, the attendants get on the overhead and announce THAT flight is canceled as well, and all those people are screwed too!

When speaking specifically about American Airlines and their current performance, this is NOT "spoiled, entitled whiners". American Airlines is circling the bowl, and their employees dont care anymore. Do not fly it. Southwest or Delta only.

Edited by DrDareustein

This just as easily could have been my fiance last night, but in Philly.

Same American Airlines, which is now obviously the worst airline out there.

Her first leg was Charleston to Philly. Barely 1000 miles. About a 90 minute flight. Supposed to be, at least.

They take off from Charleston, and 45 minutes later announce they have to land in Baltimore. They didn't put enough gas in the plane to make it all the way to Philly! So they land, re-fuel, and make their way to Philly... where everyone has already missed their connections.

American's response? "Here is a voucher for a meal. You can stay in the airport until the next flight to Buffalo at 7am, or go get yourself a hotel room". Mind you, this is at about 10:30pm.

While she and some other passengers were lighting up the gate attendants in front of the people waiting at the same gate to board their flight, the attendants get on the overhead and announce THAT flight is canceled as well, and all those people are screwed too!

When speaking specifically about American Airlines and their current performance, this is NOT "spoiled, entitled whiners". American Airlines is circling the bowl, and their employees dont care anymore. Do not fly it. Southwest or Delta only.

Delta - Wife flies to FL and carries on her violin. Return trip refuses saying it needs to be checked. Wife refused flies another airline home.

Southwest - Wife at layover in Vegas and does not get off plane. While she's in the Lavatory they take her coat out of the overhead never to be seen again. Sends letter up the chain to CEO. Nothing. Not even a free flight it drink coupon.

They all suck.

Delta - Wife flies to FL and carries on her violin. Return trip refuses saying it needs to be checked. Wife refused flies another airline home.

Southwest - Wife at layover in Vegas and does not get off plane. While she's in the Lavatory they take her coat out of the overhead never to be seen again. Sends letter up the chain to CEO. Nothing. Not even a free flight it drink coupon.

They all suck.

Oh sure, no doubt they all suck. But American (and USAir in my experience) are the worst of the bunch.

I have not wanted my kid to be disappointed as well, so not a criticism of this woman in particular.

But what I saw on that video was a parent who has most likely spent/borrowed way to much on a trip for a 9 year old and she did not want her kid to be disappointed. I know that feeling as well.

I could just feel the "oh chit, I am in $5k for this trip, and i don't have another $1500 to meet this ship in the Bahamas instead of Miami, my kid has been looking forward to this for a year, we have watched video after Video on Disney cruises, we have all these great day trips planned and we have spent the last talking about nothing but this trip....oh my its all falling apart"

I know its not the gate agents fault, but I actually feel sorry for everyone involved, including the mother.

Guess i have flown enough to always plan for the unexpected know if there is someplace you absolutely and positively have to be in a place on Monday afternoon, fly out on Sunday to give yourself some wiggle room.

Edited by plenzmd1

Guess i have flown enough to always plan for the unexpected know if there is someplace you absolutely and positively have to be in a place on Monday afternoon, fly out on Sunday to give yourself some wiggle room.

This is kind of off original topic, since I think people acting like that to gate agents is horrible, but I have to say I'm pretty friggin annoyed that all of the responsibility seems to be on the passengers now a days. There was a time when if a delay like this happened, the airlines would get as many booked and out the door as soon as possible, and do everything they could for the remaining passengers. Now, you're just **** out of luck because you didn't plan ahead correctly.

There's very little accountability on the airlines anymore, and that's a shame. Between the people like the one in video who make the entire experience an "us against them" mentality for all of the employees, and the absolute disregard for any kind of customer care by many of the airlines, long trips just aren't worth it most of the time for me. That doesn't even take into account the constant changes in the name of "security" and the ever increasing "carry on" sizes (which drives me nuts!).

This is kind of off original topic, since I think people acting like that to gate agents is horrible, but I have to say I'm pretty friggin annoyed that all of the responsibility seems to be on the passengers now a days. There was a time when if a delay like this happened, the airlines would get as many booked and out the door as soon as possible, and do everything they could for the remaining passengers. Now, you're just **** out of luck because you didn't plan ahead correctly.

There's very little accountability on the airlines anymore, and that's a shame. Between the people like the one in video who make the entire experience an "us against them" mentality for all of the employees, and the absolute disregard for any kind of customer care by many of the airlines, long trips just aren't worth it most of the time for me. That doesn't even take into account the constant changes in the name of "security" and the ever increasing "carry on" sizes (which drives me nuts!).

You nailed it. The problem, and what gets people fired up, is that Issue Resolution simply doesnt exist with the airline. And that is horrible customer service. To take ZERO accountability for your business having a major impact on the plans and lives of your customers is disgusting.

Sure, weather can happen, and it's better to be safe than sorry. But there were no weather issues in the Northeast on Monday night. American Airlines simply fell apart. From not putting enough fuel in a plane, to canceling the later flight due to not having enough staff available... Those are all failures of the business. Not the customer's fault. And certainly not an "act of god".

They need to be responsible and accountable for their mistakes. Blowing people off, and not doing a single thing to make it better, after you screw people over, will not stand.

Should have been "LaGuardia Airport forces another person to melt down."

Or, NYCers are just born obnoxious. I fly no other airline than American AIrlines, given a choice. I've never experienced any poor customer service.

They all suck.

I miss Northwest. I used to fly out to Salt Lake City or Albuquerque once a month for work. I'd always upgrade to first-class, which was about $50.

Only problem I ever had was a transfer at St. Louis. The transfer was supposed to be inbound from Seattle, but had a technical fault and never got off the ground there. After about eight hours, at about 11pm when the airport's practically emptied, a senior Northwest person came to the gate and told everyone "Look, you have two choices. We can get another plane here from another airport, it'll be here about 2am. Or we have one in the hanger that's had a problem all day that we think we've fixed. We can bring that to the gate, and you can leave now."

About 80 people start clamoring to leave immediately on the hanger queen. Me and two other guys say "Wait a minute...did you hear the part where he said they THINK they fixed it?" The three of us manage to talk everyone else in to waiting for the inbound flight, on the basis that the plane flying is obviously flight-worthy. (It helped that the senior person is basically telling the three of us "Yeah...good choice.")

So the plane arrives, they start boarding, and I manage to get the pilot and head flight attendant aside and say "Y'know...it's been a hell of a wait. I know I can buy a drink in first class, but I think it might be a nice gesture if the whole plane got a free drink." They thought it was a good idea...and it ends up being one of the more enjoyable flights I've ever taken, despite basically being an unplanned red-eye.

But the actions of all the Northwest employees, just showing some basic understanding and sympathy, and treating everyone like adults (even though "Do you want to take the plane that might not fly?" was a dumb question, just asking it was a nice gesture) was great customer service. I wish that airline was still around.

On the other hand, I will literally only fly Southwest if someone dies. Sarcastic humor does not make up for a boarding process that rivals being a steer in the Chicago stockyards.

I

On the other hand, I will literally only fly Southwest if someone dies. Sarcastic humor does not make up for a boarding process that rivals being a steer in the Chicago stockyards.

Every boarding process is like that now. Southwest might actually be the most civilized. With the advent of 13 stratifications of when people can board, that process is a total pain in da ass.

You nailed it. The problem, and what gets people fired up, is that Issue Resolution simply doesnt exist with the airline. And that is horrible customer service. To take ZERO accountability for your business having a major impact on the plans and lives of your customers is disgusting.

Sure, weather can happen, and it's better to be safe than sorry. But there were no weather issues in the Northeast on Monday night. American Airlines simply fell apart. From not putting enough fuel in a plane, to canceling the later flight due to not having enough staff available... Those are all failures of the business. Not the customer's fault. And certainly not an "act of god".

They need to be responsible and accountable for their mistakes. Blowing people off, and not doing a single thing to make it better, after you screw people over, will not stand.

In order to have "resolution," you need people who are trained enough to resolve the problem. Most employees just are not there long enough to ever reach that level. The Airports make a fortune off the airlines, in application and processing fees just to get a Badge. No Badge, no job! By the time you get through the criminal history background checks, and TSA approval, the "employees" have already quit, or just disappeared, then the process starts all over, and the Airports collect again, and the experience level never improves.

There may not be weather issues where you see the problem BUT that airplane has already been flying 6-8 hours, and there's no way to avoid not only the weather but Air Traffic delays, so by late in the day, things start to snowball.

On our return from Italy last year, our connecting flight in Heathrow was cancelled. We were in a long line handled by two agents, and this one woman was laying into an agent not unlike what you see in the video.

When the lady moved on, the next person started in on her, and while the agent was silent and patient, I kept telling my wife "Man, I hope we don't get her because she looks like she's going to pull a knife on the next customer."

Sure enough, we get this woman, and the first thing I said to her was "I' m really sorry for all the grief you're taking. You're not responsible for the flight cancellation. Just let us know where we're going to spend the night and we'll worry about getting home tomorrow."

I thought she was going to cry. She spent the next ten minutes on two different phones until she got all three of us on a different airline's flight to LAX that afternoon. Upgraded. No charge.

There's a lesson there, I reckon.

You did what I would have. At some point you just have to move on and make the best of it. Find a room. Go out have some fun. It just is. Whatever the cause is the clerk didn't have anything to do with it. I admire people that maintain self control and professionalism while enduring self entitled aholes. It reminds me of the video a couple years ago of the idiot berating the poor driver through girl at a Chi-fil-A. She was great.

Edited by Dante

Every boarding process is like that now. Southwest might actually be the most civilized. With the advent of 13 stratifications of when people can board, that process is a total pain in da ass.

American does that, it seems they have about twelve categories of people that can board based on frequent flyer status, what credit card of theirs you have, military service, if your first name starts with Q, before they even get to their Zone 1 people. The one time I flew Southwest I had ticket number 55. Walking through the airport I saw a sign at their help desk about upgrading my place in line so I asked. The girl tells me she can get me spot number 5 for $15. It was a no brainier to pay it.