Report: 49ers want to trade RT Anthony Davis

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is Davis even coming back? I know he tweeted that on April 1st... not sure if it was a joke or not. "Sources" were saying back in February that he planned to reapply. If that were the case he's on an annual salary of just about $5.35MM, the Bills would have to do some work to get him in under the cap. Maybe a new reworked contract once he's traded? If the 49ers are in rebuild mode maybe it would take a trade like the one for Clady. He's been out of the game for a year so Davis can't be worth more than a 3rd or 4th.

Is Davis even coming back? I know he tweeted that on April 1st... not sure if it was a joke or not. "Sources" were saying back in February that he planned to reapply. If that were the case he's on an annual salary of just about $5.35MM, the Bills would have to do some work to get him in under the cap. Maybe a new reworked contract once he's traded? If the 49ers are in rebuild mode maybe it would take a trade like the one for Clady. He's been out of the game for a year so Davis can't be worth more than a 3rd or 4th.

he has said he was coming back since January and applied for reinstatement in Feb. He's only 26.

Not sure if niners are in rebuild mode or not but I'd look into it if I'm the Bills.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I feel like the dollars are generally lower. We wouldn't take on cap hit for his signing bonus - just salary and roster bonuses

If Spotrac is accurate on this (no idea about retired/sabbatical players), his salary tops out at $3.65m this year. $2.65m in base salary ($2.1m of which got guaranteed on April 1st) and $62.5k per active game roster bonus totalling $1m.

2017 - $5m

2018 - $6.35m

2019 - $6.35m

With zero dead money after the trade too.

Edited by Blokestradamus

I feel like the dollars are generally lower. We wouldn't take on cap hit for his signing bonus - just salary and roster bonuses

That's probably right. I feel like he would have to rework his deal though because he's taken a year off. Has he lost a step? Who knows but I don't think he can expect to just pick up where he left off and continue to make that same money. I know he has the contract but I feel like some teams would want some insurance and less guaranteed money.

They wouldn't need to do the trade right now necessarily - if they extend Cordy prior to July 15 for example they could fit him in then and he'd be here before TC. The trade could consist of a player or future draft pick. It's not impossible, the cap is fluid as they continue to make moves prior to the season.

As far as the year off, I'm not sure that isn't actually a benefit for an OLineman. It was for Incognito. He said he felt so much better, younger and stronger after the time off. Assuming Davis worked out like incognito did, it's likely he didn't lose a step.

Edited by YoloinOhio

If Spotrac is accurate on this (no idea about retired/sabbatical players), his salary tops out at $3.65m this year. $2.65m in base salary ($2.1m of which got guaranteed on April 1st) and $62.5k per active game roster bonus totalling $1m.

2017 - $5m

2018 - $6.35m

2019 - $6.35m

With zero dead money after the trade too.

I'm sure it would take cutting a vet somewhere, but it would be worth it. Is there any way for them to get out from under Mills' RFA tender? That was over $1.5 mil if I remember right. Felton is also useless and money could also be saved replacing Carpenter with a cheaper player. There's options if they really wanted to do it, I suppose.

I'm sure it would take cutting a vet somewhere, but it would be worth it. Is there any way for them to get out from under Mills' RFA tender? That was over $1.5 mil if I remember right. Felton is also useless and money could also be saved replacing Carpenter with a cheaper player. There's options if they really wanted to do it, I suppose.

Too late.

Mills is under contract now with no guaranteed money. Straight up $1.671m saving if he's cut (as far as I know).

Felton only saves $350k.

Mills is under contract now with no guaranteed money. Straight up $1.671m saving if he's cut (as far as I know).

Felton only saves $350k.

Man Felton's contract is so bad...

The fact that Davis is already familiar with Roman's scheme gives Bills some flexibility on when they could do the trade, unless of course other teams were in on it sooner and there was competition.

I mean, it probably won't happen but would be a really great addition IMO.

Edited by YoloinOhio