How confident are the Bills in RT Seantrel Henderson?

I couldn't imagine that it would be too much. If Henderson's health has a lapse what kind of alternatives would be available for them? I have been, and probably like most, are expecting for the Bills to go heavy on defense in the upcoming draft. I was looking for thr Bills to start with their 1st pick but now I'm begining to wonder that in a draft that is loaded with DL that maybe our OL should be addressed first. In the 2nd rd there should still be defensive talent that would be able to contribute for us but is there any noteworthy OL that would be difference maker for a run oriented offense?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I couldn't imagine that it would be too much. If Henderson's health has a lapse what kind of alternatives would be available for them? I have been, and probably like most, are expecting for the Bills to go heavy on defense in the upcoming draft. I was looking for thr Bills to start with their 1st pick but now I'm begining to wonder that in a draft that is loaded with DL that maybe our OL should be addressed first. In the 2nd rd there should still be defensive talent that would be able to contribute for us but is there any noteworthy OL that would be difference maker for a run oriented offense?

They are gonna take a OT at some point in this draft...and they tendered a veteran OT which has signed his tender.

probably not to high considering his "high" level of play last yr. Maybe they factor in his Crohns and give him another shot. either way they will and should draft a RT

As far as I see it now our O-line depth in terms of people who will likely make the roster is:

6 all but certainties:

Cordy Glenn

Richie Incognito

Eric Wood

John Miller

Jordan Mills

Fernando Velasco

I don't see any additions in terms of an inside guy. They got superb play from Incognito, very good play from Wood and up and down play from Miller as a rookie. I think they will stick with those guys and Velasco basically replaces Urbik as the swing G/C.

Where they are light is at offensive tackle. Mills is a bottom end starter, Henderson is the same although has flashed potential to be more than that (though all too infrequently) and we don't even know if CK is a backup standard tackle. The scary question is - what would they do if Glenn went down and missed a significant period of the season? Henderson is the most likely flip to the left side at a guess..... but what if his health doesn't hold up? At the moment I think Henderson and CK are probably their 7th and 8th linemen, however, both are vulnerable if they pick a guy in the draft - if they pick a guy early one definitely misses out.

We haven't heard anything if Henderson's has been cleared to play managing his condition, so it's premature to comment on him. Since they picked up Mills it's obvious he is the solution at this point.

I expect the Bills to ignore OT in the draft (they would be wise to) and start Jordan Mills next year.

I expect the Bills to ignore OT in the draft (they would be wise to) and start Jordan Mills next year.

Which means we will be drafting OT in the 1st next year, probably a top 15 pick which usually gets you the 3rd best OT

Which means we will be drafting OT in the 1st next year, probably a top 15 pick which usually gets you the 3rd best OT

It means we would probably need to draft one at some point in 2017. I can't say I've watched enough of the '17 OT class to have an idea of the depth of it.

If the best we can hope for this year is Jack Conklin, yikes!

It means we would probably need to draft one at some point in 2017. I can't say I've watched enough of the '17 OT class to have an idea of the depth of it.

If the best we can hope for this year is Jack Conklin, yikes!

I'm not I favor of just taking an OT just because we need one in the first round. The class seems weak at this position, and anyone taken will be a flyer anyway. I say take one later on to add to the mix.

You don’t need to use a 1st round pick for a RT. As to what would happen if Glenn goes down, that could be said for most teams in the league, what would happen if their LT goes down. I suspect Henderson was plagued all last season by his illness, but took until November to figure out what was wrong with him. Those types of illnesses usually don’t happen overnight, they start out with unexplained weight loss etc. which for an O-lineman is pretty tough to deal with. So I’d be in favor of giving him another year, assuming they truly do have this illness under control.

I'm not I favor of just taking an OT just because we need one in the first round. The class seems weak at this position, and anyone taken will be a flyer anyway. I say take one later on to add to the mix.

I really don't know how the Bills look at Henderson & Kouandjio. Both were taken with development in mind but there doesn't seem to be a plan in place to develop either of them.

Kromer clearly likes his guy and, if they fail to add another OT, there's no better option so they can justify starting Mills. Hell, I wouldn't mind betting Ryan Groy stays over Cyrus.

You don't think Decker would be of interest if he gets to #19?

EDIT: I don't mind Conklin as much as you either but I do think he is strictly a right tackle.... Decker for me is a guy who if Glenn walks next spring you could flip to the left side.

Edited by GunnerBill

You don't think Decker would be of interest if he gets to #19?

EDIT: I don't mind Conklin as much as you either but I do think he is strictly a right tackle.... Decker for me is a guy who if Glenn walks next spring you could flip to the left side.

I don't anticipate Decker making it to 19. If he does, absolutely pull the trigger. In a world where Ereck Flowers was the 9th pick last year, I don't see any of Tunsil/Stanley/Decker dropping to the Bills. After that, I don't see anyone that's a Year 1 impact starter at RT. A few developmental types that I'm interested in on Day 3 but that's about it. Really poor OT class.

I've said before, I think Conklin ultimately gets kicked inside. He might actually end up as a serviceable RG. All I do know is that he can't play left tackle to a high standard.

That would be tragic. Mills might even be worse than Henderson. They're guys you hope get beat out and don't even make your team. I can see one of the two sticking, but some upgrade on the right side has to happen or there will be problems this season. You can't cover up for both Miller and Mills/Henderson/Kujo. Then, God forbid, if Glenn, Cogs or Wood get dinged or injured - which is likelier than not - you've got a disaster. The right side doesn't have to have All Pros, but some competent players need to be found. Maybe Miller can grow and be one of those, but I don't see which RT candidate has a chance to do that.

That would be tragic. Mills might even be worse than Henderson. They're guys you hope get beat out and don't even make your team. I can see one of the two sticking, but some upgrade on the right side has to happen or there will be problems this season. You can't cover up for both Miller and Mills/Henderson/Kujo. Then, God forbid, if Glenn, Cogs or Wood get dinged or injured - which is likelier than not - you've got a disaster. The right side doesn't have to have All Pros, but some competent players need to be found. Maybe Miller can grow and be one of those, but I don't see which RT candidate has a chance to do that.

I'm not happy about it either. Quite frankly, I despise Jordan Mills as a football player. Just that when Mills came in ahead of Kouandjio and Ryan Groy took RT reps ahead of Cyrus too, I figured the old boys network was going to dominate the thinking at RT.

Obviously, the Bills had no room to make moves in FA. That's just the way it went securing others in place. I just don't think adding more poor players in the draft is doing anything to help the situation.

Henderson may have had some success run blocking but (even when healthy) has shown very little in pass protect skills. That coupled with the risk of his health issues makes him a liability

Kouandjio actually performed admirably in the time he got on the field .. but he must be awful in practice, or his knee is worse than thought.. or something.. but at this point he has to be considered a bust and a liability as he can't even lock down the #2 spot over a diseased Henderson.

Mills was adequate in pass protect for the most part but I don't see him as starting caliber or any sort of reasonable long term solution (thus the 1 year deal)

If either Conklin or Decker are available at #19 .. the decision to draft them is really a no brainer (unless either Carson Wentz or DeForest Buckner are available at 19). They are both great fits for a power run scheme and the depth of OT's in this draft really goes downhill after the top 4 or 5 guys. There are plenty of DTs and LBs to get in later rounds.. it would be a damn shame if we pass on one of these Tackles.

Also.. Glenn signing long term is not a sure deal.. so having his potential replacement in the wings is a sound insurance policy.

Any time I look at the most likely top defensive options available I have questions..

- Ragland - is he really a 3 down player? Is it worth drafting an ILB in round 1?

- Floyd - Is he a jack of all trades and master of none? Is he big enough.. durable enough to set the edge and hold up?

- Lee - Is he big enough to play linebacker .. or is he more of a hybrid safety?

- Lawson - Is he a good fit for a 3-4 D? Can he drop into coverage?

- Nkedemiche - Is he another Mario Williams personality wise? Is he a locker room cancer?

- Butler /Chris Jones - The depth is so good at DT this year.. are either of these guys that much better than the other DTs that will be available later on like Willie Henry or DJ Reader?

- Jarran Reed - Is a run stopping 3-4 DE worth a first round pick?

When I look at Taylor and Decker I really don't have too many questions / issues. They are both good fits for our scheme and are in the top tier at their position.

Edited by Bocephuz