Jets Acquire OT Ryan Clady from Broncos

Jets are $1.2M over the cap by my math.

They could try and trade Wilkerson , I just hope not for 1st pick Wentz. Tenn has the cap space if he would sign a long term deal.

according to Jets Twitter, the question of the trade of Wilkerson isn't "if" but "when" which will free up the cap and also put them in the top 5 at least to take someone they have their heart set on - whether it's a QB or not I don't know.

Jets are $1.2M over the cap by my math.

They could try and trade Wilkerson , I just hope not for 1st pick Wentz. Tenn has the cap space if he would sign a long term deal.

How are you getting that? Spotrac has them at $9M under after Brick's retirement, but before the Clady deal. The tweet said the reworked deal is for $6M in 2016. That gives them $3M plus the offset salary of about $500k for $3.5M in available cap space. The league wouldn't have approved the deal if it put them over this season. Edited by BarleyNY

Looking at the Jets forum , Mo's big salary in a DL deep draft does not look good for a trade.

Yep.

How are you getting that? Spotrac has them at $9M under after Brick's retirement, but before the Clady deal. The tweet said the reworked deal is for $6M in 2016. That gives them $3M plus the offset salary of about $500k for $3.5M in available cap space. The league wouldn't have approved the deal if it put them over this season.

They're under the cap right now because only the top 51 salaries count. Before Clady's deal, they're ~$9M under. With Clady's deal, they'll be ~$3M under. But they have to save room for draft picks, which should be ~$4.7M. So they will need to free up more cap space and still need to find a QB.

Yep.

They're under the cap right now because only the top 51 salaries count. Before Clady's deal, they're ~$9M under. With Clady's deal, they'll be ~$3M under. But they have to save room for draft picks, which should be ~$4.7M. So they will need to free up more cap space and still need to find a QB.

I think this just adds more fuel to the fire of a trade up scenario in the draft involving Wilkerson packaged with their 1st to get a QB.

Their rookie pool is about $4.7M, but offsets will be about $3M. That's only about $1.7M of space needed for rookies. That takes them from $3.5M to $1.8M in room. They aren't over, but they've got a little work to do to get where they need to be to go into the regular season. Wilkerson is getting moved at some point which will free up $15.7M. That will give them enough for what they need, including either re-signing Fitzy or paying another journeyman QB.

I think this just adds more fuel to the fire of a trade up scenario in the draft involving Wilkerson packaged with their 1st to get a QB.

I have major doubts that any team from 1-6 (Wentz is supposed to go at #2 and Goff at #7) will want Wilkerson's contract, when they could get the best DT in the draft. And they know the Jets are over a barrel with their cap so trying to squeeze them to trade him for a 2nd rounder or lower is more likely rather than giving up first round value to allow them to move up 13-18 spots.

Their rookie pool is about $4.7M, but offsets will be about $3M. That's only about $1.7M of space needed for rookies. That takes them from $3.5M to $1.8M in room. They aren't over, but they've got a little work to do to get where they need to be to go into the regular season. Wilkerson is getting moved at some point which will free up $15.7M. That will give them enough for what they need, including either re-signing Fitzy or paying another journeyman QB.

What offsets?

Edited by Doc