3-7: Doug Whaley on NFL Network

In some instances for sure, but in reference to his comment I don't see how this applies.

Rob Ryan ran a historically bad defense in NO last year and his defenses have been bad just about everywhere.

Rex Ryan sucked last year and hasn't had a winning season in 5 years.

I'd say its a mix between BBFS and pure logic that the chances are these two guys won't be successful this coming season.

Every scenario is different and we'll just have to wait to see how it all unfolds.

In some instances for sure, but in reference to his comment I don't see how this applies.

Rob Ryan ran a historically bad defense in NO last year and his defenses have been bad just about everywhere.

Rex Ryan sucked last year and hasn't had a winning season in 5 years.

I'd say its a mix between BBFS and pure logic that the chances are these two guys won't be successful this coming season.

My biggest fear is not another single losing (or under achieving) season. My biggest fear is shaping the roster to fit what Rex thinks he needs, then having to reshape it for a coach who could otherwise win games. Is there a vaccine or something?

My biggest fear is not another single losing (or under achieving) season. My biggest fear is shaping the roster to fit what Rex thinks he needs, then having to reshape it for a coach who could otherwise win games. Is there a vaccine or something?

I think the Pegula's learned a hard lesson this past season, if they replace Rex after his 2nd year I would like to think they will hire a coach that runs the same base defense or something similar. I also think Rex deserves at least three years, if your going to hire a guy and let him cook his way....you better wait until he has the right ingredients before you pass judgement.

How do you figure?

Unless they draft extremely scheme specific players I don't see this as an issue. They lost Mario but that was most likely going to happen without Rex.

The only defensive players we have signed in FA have been to one year deals and as I said I think Rex has this year to get it right.

Rex took something that worked great, broke it, and now says he was trying too hard to be a hybrid. He has a history of signing "Rex guys" who fit his scheme and are smart enough to learn the complexities (or coach it on the field). We went backwards and he re-committed to doing things "his way", and I don't trust Rex.

It's more than just the old 3-4/4-3 debate in my mind. I just don't trust Rex, and the draft is looming. We had the right blend of DLine, LD and DB before he got here. Rex seems less DLIne dependent (guys who can create havoc with 3 or 4 coming) and more "trick you to win" with emphasis on cover corners to give a blitzer time to get there from out wide. I was more a fan of just winning each battle, not so much tricking them to win and hope the CB's can holdup.

I know many will say give him a chance, and I'm glad they didn't can him after last year. That sounds more like a Brown's move. But I'm a skeptic. Please prove me wrong Rex!

Edited by Augie

Honestly I'd be ok with Hackenburg in the 2nd. Give him a year under Tyrod, let EJ walk.

What do you see in Hackenberg that makes you want Whaley to spend a 2nd on him? He was okay as a Freshman under O'Brien. Not great, just okay. He showed some good things that caused experts to project bigger things. Then came the past two years. Yes, the system changed. Yes, the line was awful. BUT he wasn't good either. It wasn't all Franklin and a bad line.

If the Bills were to draft him before the fourth round I might throw my flatscreen out the window.

How many times can Whaley use the word "excited" in one interview? Marrone didn't say "obviously" as much as Whaley does his signature word.

More brilliant contributions to the board, I see.

If a GM isn't excited at this time of the year, he's in the wrong job.

Every scenario is different and we'll just have to wait to see how it all unfolds.

Of course and historically I haven't been negative in my outlook. But this past season's D, number of penalties, problems with headsets points towards a HC whose approach is too lax. Compound that with the rather 'meh' offseason and I really don't see how this coming season can be meaningfully better unless we hit on 3-4 draft picks. Edited by Fan in Chicago