Electric bill

Fixxxer

2500 sq ft 2 story, 3 bed, 2.5 bath, house. Just myself (divorce). Electric hot water heater, gas fireplace, electric dryer, gas furnace, a/c. Thermostat in winter is set to 65, summer 72. If I remember correctly, the highest bill this winter was in the $150 range. Previous summer was near $100. Both were very mild in comparison to other years.

Actually thinking about solar panels.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got my bill for March: $75.86. Also, for my home energy report from ComEd, I use 11% more than my neighbors.

I don't and never have used "Al Gore" bulbs (CFB's)... Because of the small amount of Hg in them. I am not a big fan of separating my garbage in the name of "recycling"... I don't want trace amounts of Hg in the environment if I screw up and forget to separate. Still mostly use incandescent bulbs with a dimmer on mostly all switches...Switching slowly to LED's though. Dimmer switches installed years ago before all the crazy green crap. Smaller 2,000sq.ft. built new in 1995-1996. On the same furnace and A/C unit too.

Summer bill should hit $150 or so...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Just got my bill for March: $75.86. Also, for my home energy report from ComEd, I use 11% more than my neighbors.

I don't and never have used "Al Gore" bulbs (CFB's)... Because of the small amount of Hg in them. I am not a big fan of separating my garbage in the name of "recycling"... I don't want trace amounts of Hg in the environment if I screw up and forget to separate. Still mostly use incandescent bulbs with a dimmer on mostly all switches...Switching slowly to LED's though. Dimmer switches installed years ago before all the crazy green crap. Smaller 2,000sq.ft. built new in 1995-1996. On the same furnace and A/C unit too.

Summer bill should hit $150 or so...

I bought 2 LED bulbs a month for a year. Then replaced bulbs as they burned out. Half the house is LED now.

Including ALL outside lighting. The bedrooms are the only holdouts.

I bought 2 LED bulbs a month for a year. Then replaced bulbs as they burned out. Half the house is LED now.

Including ALL outside lighting. The bedrooms are the only holdouts.

That is kinda my thought... LED are the future and the Gore bulbs I have always seen as a problematic go between. As time wears on, LED price is cheaper as they phase out incan bulbs. Yet, still have bulbs running from a decade ago. Dimmers help! Years ago, ComEd had a bulb program, I still even have a stock pile of those around... LoL...

You know what sucks? I was going to replace the Christmas house floods with fancy dancy LED, expensive flood lights... Then it dawned on me, how is the snow going to melt off them if they don't put out heat like the incans do! I stuck with the tried and true +100w or so incandescent bulbs... Cheap too!

$600 wow. I got 2200 square ft house, pool A/C. May get to $200 June thru August, usually around $75 - $100 the other months.

We're in a 3200 sq. ft. two-story with 5 BR, 3 bath. I've tried everything to get the number down except the one thing that may help, which is to add a second AC unit for upstairs. I had to replace my original AC unit for 8K five years ago, and I'm not adding a second one for $10K for the three months my electric is that high every year.

That is kinda my thought... LED are the future and the Gore bulbs I have always seen as a problematic go between. As time wears on, LED price is cheaper as they phase out incan bulbs. Yet, still have bulbs running from a decade ago. Dimmers help! Years ago, ComEd had a bulb program, I still even have a stock pile of those around... LoL...

You know what sucks? I was going to replace the Christmas house floods with fancy dancy LED, expensive flood lights... Then it dawned on me, how is the snow going to melt off them if they don't put out heat like the incans do! I stuck with the tried and true +100w or so incandescent bulbs... Cheap too!

I bought 5 color LED flood lights for Christmas and it was so expensive that I didn't buy any other decorations. They've gone down in price but still prohibitive to buy more than a few at a time. I've also started using them for landscape lighting. I wonder how the neighbors feel about having only one tree lit up. It looks creepy at night.

I didn't have problems with moisture as far as I could tell.

I still have stockpiles of the old incand... and CFL's... don't know what to do with them.

Edited by unbillievable

I still have stockpiles of the old incand... and CFL's... don't know what to do with them.

In my town, we're required to have CFL's specially disposed of. But the town doesn't pick them up...you have to drive out to the dump, go to the hazardous waste/household chemical disposal building, and hand over the bulbs.

So I just throw them in the trash. Because if they didn't want mercury in the landfill, they should have thought of that BEFORE they mandated the goddamn things, and I refuse to let their complete lack of foresight and common sense become my problem.

In my town, we're required to have CFL's specially disposed of. But the town doesn't pick them up...you have to drive out to the dump, go to the hazardous waste/household chemical disposal building, and hand over the bulbs.

So I just throw them in the trash. Because if they didn't want mercury in the landfill, they should have thought of that BEFORE they mandated the goddamn things, and I refuse to let their complete lack of foresight and common sense become my problem.

Throw them in with the recycling. We just get a big (90 gallon) recycling toter and every two weeks they collect that... At least the CFL's have a fighting chance when they separate the recyclables. :lol: LoL... Who am I kidding. I saw the garbage company miss a pick up, they came back and mixed it all together... :lol::doh: Yeah, like me separating my garbage is the same as it actually ending up where it should be. They don't dare get any stuff like aluminum that I can separate and make money on. We are doing the leg work so the company can raise your garbage bill? Make it easier on them? Prices went up when fuel went up, did they lower the bills when fuel went back down.