Nickel Defense is the New Base Defense in the NFL

Here's why the nickel defense is the new base defense in the NFL

When you hear the term "base defense," what do you picture? Chances are, if your favorite team plays a 4-3, then you picture four defensive linemen, three linebackers and four defensive backs. If your favorite team plays a 3-4, then you picture three defensive linemen, four linebackers and four defensive backs.

Here's the thing, though: no matter which set your favorite team plays out of, you're picturing the wrong thing. That's because the nickel defense has taken over the NFL. Here, via Peter King at The MMQB, is the evidence.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And this is why 2 down run stuffing LBs are becoming the defensive version of a FB.

The game is oriented more each year toward stopping the other team from passing, both in terms of positional value (pass rushers more valuable to run defenders) and scheme.

Of course, smart teams will line up in more spread offenses to open up lanes to run the ball...and punish those 190-200 pound DBs.

Interesting times and some teams aren't keeping up.

Been saying we need to be ready for an RB to run up the middle for a while. We dont need a quick at the hips or scat back like Spiller. We don't need a juke and dancer. We don't even need McCoy for this role, really. We need Antowain Smith, Tim Tindale, Marshawn Lynch. These guys get to the second level with speed. These guys can take on an ILB consistently winning matchups. In a nickel defense you need to only defeat the ILB and you gain 4+ yards. You usually don't escape the SS and Nickel

I hope karlos Williams can keep up what he started

Defenses run the nickel roughly 2 out of 3 plays.

Seems like a good time to line up a power runner like KW.

see above.

Thus the rise of the hybrid LB/S. That's as important a player as the slot WR and both are effectively starters due to the ever increasing use of the Nickel package these days.

Yeah. IIRC Rex liked to run with a lot of 3 safety packages with the Jets. Considering how awful our linebackers are at covering, would people be ok just running a box safety as the base?

Yeah. IIRC Rex liked to run with a lot of 3 safety packages with the Jets. Considering how awful our linebackers are at covering, would people be ok just running a box safety as the base?

Yeah, that has to get addressed. I'm thinking such a player might be a draft target. Either a smallish LB that's fast and quick enough to cover or a bigish S that can tackle and cover fit the bill. I'd love to see a true, 3 down linebacker added. That'd help this defense a ton.

Edited by BarleyNY

Yeah, that has to get addressed. I'm thinking such a player might be a draft target. Either a smallish LB that's fast and quick enough to cover or a bigish S that can tackle and cover fit the bill.

Part of me thinks the latter is why they picked up Blanton. Assuming we keep as more of a 3-4, you'd have Hughes as pass rush OLB, Lawson as as the SAM, Brown as Mike, and Blanton doing what Bradham was doing.

Bill in NYC you may not want to read this, but this is why you need to draft a CB or Safety pretty high every year.

this is an interesting year a CB. And S. S there isn't much but there is a lot nod different talents. CB is deep with good but not great talent. 3 or 4 very good players there. 10-12 depth, rotational and subset players. You can find what you're looking for in a package CB in found 3-4

And:

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/04/03/colin-kaepernick-trade-broncos-49ers-titans-jalen-ramsey-nfl-draft

Stat of the Week

The 2015 season was the seventh straight year for an increase in the number of defensive snaps in the NFL on which five or more defensive back were on the field. Per Pro Football Focus, here is the percentage of plays in NFL games with five DBs or more on the field in every season since 2008:

2008: 43.4%
2009: 45.1%
2010: 48.8%
2011: 52.5%
2012: 54.4%
2013: 58.3%
2014: 60.3%
2015: 63.4%

I had a discussion two weeks ago on the morning drive with Papa and Ross on the Bills draft, and Ross who I respect had an interesting take (NFL Radio for guys who don't have Sirius).

He thought because of Rex's scheme based defense we didn't need a star up front, and don't be surprised if we go with a Safety or CB in this first round. His thought was simply the Bills defense is predicated on having a best in class secondary. If Aaron Williams comes back healthy then at a minimum we have three of the five we need with Williams, Darby, and Gilmore.

I've thought all along we're going DE/DT flexible person or OLB. Maybe not, It will be an interesting draft as I truly have no idea what they are going to do. One thing is for sure, we will end up playing 60% at least in nickel packages so we don't need a Spikes like thumper at ILB. We need a fast ILB who can cover TE's and big WR.

Part of me thinks the latter is why they picked up Blanton. Assuming we keep as more of a 3-4, you'd have Hughes as pass rush OLB, Lawson as as the SAM, Brown as Mike, and Blanton doing what Bradham was doing.

And the Bills sign Zac Brown.

weve talked about this pretty extensively with our D scheme flip flopping so much through the last several years -- you are in nickel A LOT. The numbers being north of 50% are no surprise around here.

That's why running the ball will become the new trend. Maybe the Bills are on to something.

I had a discussion two weeks ago on the morning drive with Papa and Ross on the Bills draft, and Ross who I respect had an interesting take (NFL Radio for guys who don't have Sirius).

He thought because of Rex's scheme based defense we didn't need a star up front, and don't be surprised if we go with a Safety or CB in this first round. His thought was simply the Bills defense is predicated on having a best in class secondary. If Aaron Williams comes back healthy then at a minimum we have three of the five we need with Williams, Darby, and Gilmore.

I've thought all along we're going DE/DT flexible person or OLB. Maybe not, It will be an interesting draft as I truly have no idea what they are going to do. One thing is for sure, we will end up playing 60% at least in nickel packages so we don't need a Spikes like thumper at ILB. We need a fast ILB who can cover TE's and big WR.

Haven't you heard? Aaron is converting to WR.

And this is why 2 down run stuffing LBs are becoming the defensive version of a FB.

The game is oriented more each year toward stopping the other team from passing, both in terms of positional value (pass rushers more valuable to run defenders) and scheme.

Of course, smart teams will line up in more spread offenses to open up lanes to run the ball...and punish those 190-200 pound DBs.

Interesting times and some teams aren't keeping up.

Today might have been a step in the right direction with Zach Brown

Defenses run the nickel roughly 2 out of 3 plays.

Seems like a good time to line up a power runner like KW.

I have been harping on this for two years now. get ahead of the curve. heck Maybe the Bills are, in theory.