BREAKING NEWS: NHL PLAYS

JoeF

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

end the holding and such. even just grabbing a guys stick for 1/2 second is enough to really slow someone down and ruin any and all momentum they had.

245827[/snapback]

I agree, that's why you don't see teams like the 1991 and 1992 Penguins anymore. The Oilers were the best at it, but the Pens were very good offensively.

Bettman and Goodenow looked like real a-holes through this whole thing especially over the last few days. Since Mario Lemieux and Gretzky stepped in and got this done in less than two days, I think both Bettman and Goodenow will be thrown out on their behinds.

I am pretty fired up that they are playing. Sabres fans have been kicked in the groin countless times over the last few years but we are still lucky to have a team here and the salary cap will certainly help out the Sabres in the long run. I think the worst is behind us (at least I hope so after all we have had to put up with) and I really hope Sabres fans will support the team even if they didn't like what the NHL had become and what happened with the lockout. There isn't a hell of alot to do in Buffalo in the Winter and the Sabres have always been important to the area. We have a good, young team and we have all our players signed (Boston has only 10 players signed to contracts for example) and a 28 game season will be exciting. Everyone says October through January hockey is boring anyways.

I think the Sabres will do very well and I will definitley go to a few games and watch on TV (MSG Network will have all the games). Go Sabres!

I agree that the NHL needs to revamp some rules to neutralize or outlaw the trap defense. I know there are several possible ways to do that. As far as this season is concerned, to me it's just about meaningless. I just don't see the Stanley Cup having much significance with a 28 game season. The main reason for trying to have a CBA in place and salvage a little bit of a season is so that the league can conduct the draft. I understand the next great superstar is in this year's draft and the NHL wants him badly. Legally, I guess they can't even conduct a draft without a CBA in place.

Ok, I know I will open myself up to much possible ridicule with this, but in all honesty, I would want some feedback on this, from very smart sports fans.

I sent an email to the closest email I could get for Bob Goodenow. It was a mailbag thing on the NHL CBA site. He hasn't answered a question in over 3 months, but it was worth a shot. Here's the email.

This is in regards to the CBA mess us hockey fans are experiencing.

I am quite positive that you have received many thousands of email from fans like me, who have their ideas on how to help reach an agreement. Allow me to share these simple thoughts.

The players want the freedom to earn their worth. Cost certainty, or salary cap, will certainly take away monies due to the greatest athletes in the world. (When's the last time you saw Terrell Owens do what someone like Dominik Hasek can do?) Yet the owners want to make sure that they don't loose millions, and want a contract like the NFL, where owners earn millions.

Why not have a CBA that gives both? Have a cap on those players in the NHL with less than "X" years of service. Then, if a player remains with a club for "X" amount of years, that team has the option to pay that player whatever amount they see fit, without the restrictions of a cap of any kind.

I know that this will take away the free agency that all players covet. Yet as a fan, this system could possibly get us back to the days where a team could actually create a dynasty, like the Canadian's of the 70's, Islanders of the 80's, etc. If the casual fan sees that a top level player could possibly stay with one club for their entire careers, it would be a unique throwback that I believe would attract more hockey fans than anything else. It would also allow players to earn the top dollar contracts that the elite NHL athletes deserve.

Thank you for allowing me to write these thoughts.

So for all here. Do you think that a system where a player with less than 5, 6, 7 years of service would fall under a strict cap, and then after the negotiated years of service, get a chance to be paid any amount of salary an owner wants to pay, without any restrictions of any kind, would work?

I just switched on Sportscenter, and it seems like a deal will indeed be made tomorrow.

Anyone saying "f--- you", or "this is gonna suck anyway", etc, etc, etc..., FINE... don't watch!

I for one am PSYCHED that there may still be hockey.

EVERY year fans complain that the season is too long. Well, maybe we can see a 28 game season, some exciting playoffs, and the Stanley cup awarded.

If you wanna stay pissed off, fine. I know if a deal is made, I, for one, will be calling DirecTV tomorrow to find out how I can get as many Sabres games as possible piped down here to south florida!

GO SABRES!!!!

Pardon me if I don't get excited. Has anything happened to benefit the Sabres?

a) The cap will be 15 million more than what the Sabres are currently spending.

b) With payroll being the same, I doubt ticket prices will change.

c) They haven't addressed the problem with the game itself.

The only thing i see accomplished, is this will stop teams like New York and Detroit from outbidding smaller markets.

I just switched on Sportscenter, and it seems like a deal will indeed be made tomorrow.

Anyone saying "f--- you", or "this is gonna suck anyway", etc, etc, etc..., FINE... don't watch!

I for one am PSYCHED that there may still be hockey.

EVERY year fans complain that the season is too long. Well, maybe we can see a 28 game season, some exciting playoffs, and the Stanley cup awarded.

If you wanna stay pissed off, fine. I know if a deal is made, I, for one, will be calling DirecTV tomorrow to find out how I can get as many Sabres games as possible piped down here to south florida!

GO SABRES!!!!

245848[/snapback]

I'm just mad the Penguins won't be finishing unbeaten this year. I'm a little bitter that we will suck again instead of being undefeated.

The cap should help the sabres - even though it is higher than their salary because it will make players affordable - and they can't be "bought" ala the few big baseball cities...

I agree the trap needs to go... they have to find a way to make the game open up, otherwise it's like watching soccer on TV - Boring and therefore they'll never get the $$ contract... for most (maybe all) teams, this salary cap isn't going to prevent them from losing money every year...

A 45 million dollar cap......I would side with the idea that this isn't going to be very helpful for the Sabres.....unless there is major revenue sharing, luxury tax concepts. I hope the owners turn this down later today or tomorrow. Hold out for a better deal. They will look like bad guys and will be villified by some fans, but if the Sabres want to stay in Buffalo, I am hoping a better deal over the summer will be concocted.

The NHLPA had its ass kicked this week, and now it is trying to save face. They want to look like the good guys by negotiating to 45....and if the owners and Bettman say no dice, then they will try that as PR to say they are off the hook for losing out on the previous negotiations and looking like the bad guys in all this.

Beyond that, they need to iron out on-ice issues to change the game around. And how the hell do you bring back all these players in Europe? Are they tied down to a contract over there still?

Don't try to throw something together half-assed at the last second.

Pardon me if I don't get excited.  Has anything happened to benefit the Sabres?

a) The cap will be 15 million more than what the Sabres are currently spending. 

b) With payroll being the same, I doubt ticket prices will change.

c) They haven't addressed the problem with the game itself.

The only thing i see accomplished, is this will stop teams like New York and Detroit from outbidding smaller markets.

245857[/snapback]

I gotta agree with this.

How does this help the small market clubs? They weren't spending $40 million anyhow, and they still can't afford to.

What this does do is force teams like Detroit, Phily and the Rangers to be careful not to overpay for free agents. Teams now can't afford to have a $9 million player because that would eat up 1/5 of the cap.

I just pray this is a hard cap and you can't go over for any reason.

If the players 24% salary cut is also in the deal that will help (I guess) as long as the teams don't have to spend $30 million.

Overall, I don't get it, because this isn't going to help the sport and we won't even talk about the quality of the hockey itself because it stinks.

From TSN

League, union to meet Saturday

TSN.ca with files from CP

2/19/2005

Suggestions that a deal has been reached to end the NHL lockout are at best premature and and worst dead wrong, multiple sources have told TSN.

Friday's optimism was fueled first by news that the two sides were set to meet Saturday in New York, and then by the arrival of Hall of Famers Wayne Gretzky and Mario Lemieux to join the discussions.

Late Friday night, there were several reports that Gretzky and Lemieux had actually managed to broker a deal, but both reports were quickly denied by both the NHL and the Players Association.

Related Info

McKenzie: Freaky Friday tough to explain

Post-NHL cancellation stories won't die

NBA boss Stern slams NHLPA tactics

NHL Insiders

NHL Insiders II

Lockout News

"The report is absolutely false," an NHLPA spokesman said late Friday night in reference to the first such story, which came from The Hockey News website.

That sentiment was echoed by NHL vice president Bill Daly, who told TSN it was "entirely untrue and without foundation."

While it's still possible the two sides could reach an agreement Saturday, a source close to the talks called the chances of that taking place "very remote".

Still, the fact that the two sides are talking again was greeted as welcome news.

"I've said all along that the most important thing is coming to an agreement," said New Jersey Devils CEO and GM Lou Lamoriello. "Even after the season was cancelled it was just so important to get together as soon as possible.

"And I commend both of them for agreeing to do it. And now, get it done."

Since NHL Commissioner announced the cancellation of the season Wednesday afternoon, there has been a flurry of activity in hockey circles, with general managers, agents and players desperately trying to resuscitate the talks.

"I think both sides took a step back the next day and realized 'we were that close,"' Calgary Flames superstar Jarome Iginla said Friday night from Edmonton. "And I think both sides realized that for the big hit hockey would take, maybe we needed to take another crack at it."

"I can only hope that both sides realize they owe to the game to allow common sense to prevail," veteran agent Don Meehan of Newport Sports said Friday night from his Mississauga office.

But there remain serious differences that must be bridged.

There are several owners upset with the league's final offer of a $42 million dollar salary cap, feeling it was too high.

"That number ($42.5 million) would have been a tough sell at a governor's meeting," said one high ranking team executive contacted by TSN.

On the players' side, there are those who felt betrayed by the union's decision to agree to a salary cap so late in the process, after vehemently refusing even to consider one previously.

Several participants on both sides of the divide have been discussing a "laddered" salary cap - one that would start at $42.5 million, and gradually work it's way up to $45 million, and those suggestions were mentioned frequently by those who felt there was a deal imminent.

But as of now, no such deal exists.

"What I hear is that the deal is done enough to hold a press conference tomorrow in New York...the union is denying it...but I'm waiting for some sort of announcement on my e-mail...I would be astonished, there is no way they can not play the season now," hockey analyst Stan Fishler said during an interview on The FAN590 Friday night.

This is really too bad. As close as both sides seemed to have gotten, hockey had the chance to finally close the gaps on the CBA and then use the next six months to change the sport for the better. They could have gotten the players and team management to meet with fans about how they thought the game could be made better (they probably could have charged $ for tickets to such events). They could have made the changes everyone knows needs to be made. By involving fans they could have created momentum for the '05-'06 season. Need revenue? Roll out the "new" NHL complete with new/updated team logos/jerseys. Get everyone excited about the fan-friendly changes and then soak them for overpriced fan gear. Heck, if the Sabres went back to the gold and blue using one of the designs on that fan website, they would rake it in. I'd be buying jerseys for the whole family as soon as they were offered.

If the rumors are true and they salvage the season, it's just going to be more of the same 'ol, same 'ol which is not a sustainable business model for the NHL (regardless of the CBA). In the midst of all this crying over $42m versus $49m, no one seems to hear the cries from fans saying widen the rinks, get rid of the incessant clutching and grabbing, and let us see athletes on the ice. And if this is the way the NHL ultimately "resolves" their issues, then I can think of no greater damage done to the sport by Betteman's failed leadership than to not use this opportunity to truly reform the sport.

.....some intelligence finally enters into this madness.

245658[/snapback]

That's a bitchslap to even the most remedial levels of intelligence. If intelligence in any way, shape or form had been involved, this wouldn't have lasted nearly as long as it did. Greed and ego is to intelligence what paper is to rock...unfortunately.