Tyrod vs Kaep

I was part of the Tyrod will start when we signed him group. I like watching him play. In this system he can be very efficient. Having said all this, like many have discussed, if he has the same season in 2016 as he did in 2015, he could exceed 15 million a year. Please compare the two stat lines.....

COMP-243, ATT 416, COMP% 58.4%, YARDS 3197, TD 21, INT 8, RUSH YDS 524, RUSH TD 4

COMP-242, ATT 380, COMP% 63.7%, YARDS 3035, TD 20, INT 6, RUSH YDS 568, RUSH TD 4

One of those is Tyrod and the other is Kaep's first season as a full time starter, virtually indistinguishable of each other. As players, not the same. Kaep more physical talent, Taylor more mental talent. Comparing Taylor Kaep might upset some, but the reality is this type of production is plenty out of the position. SF made multiple deep runs with him and Roman at the helm. Prior to the season I said I hope Taylor can give us Kaep like production and that's what he did. At the same time, I can't imagine any Bills fan being happy about paying Kaep over 15 million dollars. We probably have the most QB friendly OC in the league right now. Paying a system QB franchise money would be a death blow. I'll stay open minded but I just feel Taylor is playing in a box and that works, but if he was asked to step outside it he would struggle mightily.

The differences in completion percentage, YPA, and TD:INT ratio favor TT. And he did all that without being the starter going into the off-season/training camp and getting the majority of starting reps like Kaep that year. That being said, TT has to take the next step before considering paying him $15M/year. In this respect the Bills are lucky versus the Texans who are taking a huge risk with BO.

Kapep was flat out terrible last season. He looked completely lost in the pocket with regard to reading coverage and decision making.

Kaep has his problems and needs an experienced coordinator - but that team was a hot mess last year. I mean Tomsula got fired after one year - not exactly the situation a QB can thrive in. One of if not the worst rosters in all of the NFL.

Kaep has his problems and needs an experienced coordinator - but that team was a hot mess last year. I mean Tomsula got fired after one year - not exactly the situation a QB can thrive in. One of if not the worst rosters in all of the NFL.

Certainly not the best environment to thrive in last year, but Gabbert showed far better than Kaep.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

The differences in completion percentage, YPA, and TD:INT ratio favor TT. And he did all that without being the starter going into the off-season/training camp and getting the majority of starting reps like Kaep that year. That being said, TT has to take the next step before considering paying him $15M/year. In this respect the Bills are lucky versus the Texans who are taking a huge risk with BO.

Difference in YPA is Taylor being able to throw a predetermined route with more accuracy. It's no small difference, it is part of the game. Taylors ability to be a threat in the deep passing game is certainly a big part of his game. I just don't see any of that YPA coming from the sources I would like. His COMP % and YPA is established on timing routes and deep balls which he throws a very high % of his plays. Again, sort the box I've described that Roman created for him.

Kaep was flat out terrible last season. He looked completely lost in the pocket with regard to reading coverage and decision making.

His first year without Roman, he was forced to operate as something other than a system QB. This is my contention. Take Roman away, strip the system, make Tyrod play in a standard offense, it will get ugly.

Obviously can't disagree with a lack of talent last year for Kaep but I don't see his future getting much better regardless of where he goes.

Difference in YPA is Taylor being able to throw a predetermined route with more accuracy. It's no small difference, it is part of the game. Taylors ability to be a threat in the deep passing game is certainly a big part of his game. I just don't see any of that YPA coming from the sources I would like. His COMP % and YPA is established on timing routes and deep balls which he throws a very high % of his plays. Again, sort the box I've described that Roman created for him.

His first year without Roman, he was forced to operate as something other than a system QB. This is my contention. Take Roman away, strip the system, make Tyrod play in a standard offense, it will get ugly.

Obviously can't disagree with a lack of talent last year for Kaep but I don't see his future getting much better regardless of where he goes.

At this point, there simply is no way to prove or disprove your contention. Trying to correlate Kaep's failures to how Tyrod would function in a non GRO offense is pure conjecture. The fact that Kubiak wanted him in Denver leads me to believe he'd be fine.

At this point, there simply is no way to prove or disprove your contention. Trying to correlate Kaep's failures to how Tyrod would function in a non GRO offense is pure conjecture. The fact that Kubiak wanted him in Denver leads me to believe he'd be fine.

Obviously you can't take anything I'm saying past conjecture. What's not conjecture is Kubiak wants Kaep right now. So that stamp of confidence doesn't do a lot for me.

Obviously you can't take anything I'm saying past conjecture. What's not conjecture is Kubiak wants Kaep right now. So that stamp of confidence doesn't do a lot for me.

Fair point. Only time will tell, so we'll all eventually find out.

Kubiak is desperate for a starting QB, so...

Yup. And now it's time to see what he can do out of that box. Again, he'll be the starter going forward, will get the majority of reps and he's had a year to digest the full playbook. The rest is up to him.

I have no doubt that Kubiak called the Bills about TT's availability and were rebuffed.

Yup. And now it's time to see what he can do out of that box. Again, he'll be the starter going forward, will get the majority of reps and he's had a year to digest the full playbook. The rest is up to him.

I have no doubt that Kubiak called the Bills about TT's availability and were rebuffed.

For sure, it's a money thing for me. I would like to accentuate the first portion of the first post a bit more. I really like Taylor. It doesn't sound like this type of thread would be started by somebody who really likes Taylor. I've liked him since day one and always thought he would start. I also think he has the talent to lead a talented team into the playoffs and beyond. Good guy, fun to watch, seems like a winner. What I worry about is a massive investment in him if we don't see that next step. A lot of people feel 2015 numbers in 2016 could equal 15 million or more. I expect 2016 production to be very similar. Maybe something more in the 20 TD/10 INT range, but still good. It will be what I see with my eyes that will tell me if he is worth the money. Roman can make QB's stat gods. Taylor is the guy right now and I'm fine with him being the guy, happy, unless that price tag goes way up with the same questions we currently have.