4-20: Bills' Pre-Draft Presser with Whaley, Fisher, & Monos

Whaley, Monos, Fisher Talk 2016 Draft (34:40)
GM Doug Whaley, Director of Player Personnel Jim Monos and Director of College Scouting Kelvin Fisher field questions from the Buffalo media regarding the upcoming 2016 NFL Draft.

Kelvin Fisher: "Every year is a different process" (16:10)
Bills Dir. of College Scouting Kelvin Fisher sat down on The John Murphy Show to discuss the evaluation process in scouting talent and his thoughts on some of the top prospects in this year's draft.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@TBNSports

Doug Whaley talked #Bills’ draft plans over lunch. @JaySkurski tells you what's worth chewing on: http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/04/20/whaley-plays-it-close-to-the-vest-on-bills-draft-plans/

@SalSports

Whaley: Trading down "highly more intriguing" than moving up for Bills: http://www.wgr550.com/Whaley-Trading-down-highly-more-intriguing-than-mo/22686561

Huh?

How does exercising a contract option and slapping a franchise tag on a guy count as "active" in FA? Neither player had a choice. They weren't Free Agent signings. It's like saying, "We were active in FA by not cutting Preston Brown."

Lunacy.

The players didn't have a choice, but the Bills did. They could have let them walk and signed other players. So, in essence, they were "active" in Free Agency. As underwhelming as it might seem.

I am a fan of Whaley but I also really like Jim Monos. If the Bills make the breakthrough with this front office and get to the post season he will be a hot GM candidate I think. Has the added benefit of not being associated with the EJ failure.

Having said that..... the draft luncheon is darn boring these days. I'd like Buddy to be our GM for one day each year to handle this particular duty.

Huh?

How does exercising a contract option and slapping a franchise tag on a guy count as "active" in FA? Neither player had a choice. They weren't Free Agent signings. It's like saying, "We were active in FA by not cutting Preston Brown."

Lunacy.

Have to agree to be honest. Richie is the only guy of our own that they have "kept" thus far and he isn't homegrown he is one of last year's FA splurge that they have kept.

If he manages to do long term deals with Glenn and Gilmore then he can legitimately turn around and say "we had a good offseason" but at the moment it is a bit of a stretch.

The players didn't have a choice, but the Bills did. They could have let them walk and signed other players. So, in essence, they were "active" in Free Agency. As underwhelming as it might seem.

Just seems like a stretch to spin the offseason. Most folks wouldn't consider exercising an option equal to signing an FA.

I am a fan of Whaley but I also really like Jim Monos. If the Bills make the breakthrough with this front office and get to the post season he will be a hot GM candidate I think. Has the added benefit of not being associated with the EJ failure.

The reason I believe you have to judge whaley' starting with the 2014 draft is because it's the first one under HIS regime. Once he was named gm, he immediately named monos and Fischer to his staff. I think there was some turnover among the scouts too.

Re monos as gm, He does not seem comfortable in front of the cameras, so he might be the kind of person who is content where he's at??

Doug is hardly a media star himself. Monos has that quiet, calm persona. I personally like that in leaders.

True about DW, but he doesn't shy away from it.

Again, it's just a sense about Monos. Totally agree that he would generate interest; however, I don't want to see the 3 amigos--Whaley, Monos, Fischer--broken up until they've completed the job....

The reason I believe you have to judge whaley' starting with the 2014 draft is because it's the first one under HIS regime. Once he was named gm, he immediately named monos and Fischer to his staff. I think there was some turnover among the scouts too.

Re monos as gm, He does not seem comfortable in front of the cameras, so he might be the kind of person who is content where he's at??

Hanrahan as Pro personnel?

Doug is hardly a media star himself. Monos has that quiet, calm persona. I personally like that in leaders.

I have said and will stick to my guns. Whaley has assembled a fine staff and rearranged as he saw fit.

My not be perfect but they do appear to be working well as a team. Monos and Kelvin et al.

If Rex can improve the w/l sheet. Whaley might be the foundation long term.

might be.

again , I remain glass half full

No need to be blunt.

:flirt:

Just wondering, but why do some posters say that Whaley has assembled a fine staff? I confess to know very little about the senior football people and scouts that Whaley has hired.

Very simply put, if you look at the trades and drafts since he reorganized post Ralph, show a more thorough level of competency.

I will leave it to the experts for a more detailed response. He has shifted the pro and college scouting staff around.