LB Bruce Carter Visting Bills; Signing with the NYJ

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How much you wanna bet some people making comments have never even seen him play? :lol:

I have not , but when a player gets on the radar i do start reading up

And i do think he would have been a nice fit in Rex's system.

If he is getting vet min i am going to be a little po'd he went to the Jest

Seriously. Why have these players in if we are not going to sign them? Although some are just using us for financial leverage, they can't all be (right?). It really stings when we lose a defensive player to the Jets. For these type of bubble players, I don't think it just comes down to money. They are struggling to stay in the league and him likely signing with the Jets sends a message that he thinks he'll be more successful in their defense.

Edited by Saint Doug

We ain't got no money.

And there isn't really a lot they can do about it if Glenn and Gilmore don't want to sign long term deals.

By allowing themselves to get that close to the cap the Bills gave their agents leverage to seek even longer deals with greater guarantees........likely making those negotiations more difficult.

It's probably going to be a lot tighter than many think next year as well.........the projected $45M could mostly be eaten up with Taylor's franchise tag, the new Glenn/Gilmore cap figures(which are $0 for 2017 at the moment) and the McCoy dead money hit.

Said it before but I think they should be considering a CB with top pick if they can deal Gilmore for a second or early third day pick just for the long term health of their salary cap.

Not being able to even fill a devalued position like ILB with quality in free agency when there are a bunch of them going for cheap is a bad situation to be in cap-wise.

On the bright side, with the exception of a #1A WR their needs should still be able to be addressed with post draft FA scraps and using a BPA approach in the draft because it's mostly low value positions like ILB and NT.

This will be the first player that I actually wanted that got away due to financial reasons.

I knew at some point it was going to happen this offseason.

The thing is....the jets do not run a 3-4 which is supposed to be this guys strength.......why would he not sign a 1 year deal in a system that would display his strengths to beef up his stock?

And there isn't really a lot they can do about it if Glenn and Gilmore don't want to sign long term deals.

By allowing themselves to get that close to the cap the Bills gave their agents leverage to seek even longer deals with greater guarantees........likely making those negotiations more difficult.

It's probably going to be a lot tighter than many think next year as well.........the projected $45M could mostly be eaten up with Taylor's franchise tag, the new Glenn/Gilmore cap figures(which are $0 for 2017 at the moment) and the McCoy dead money hit.

Said it before but I think they should be considering a CB with top pick if they can deal Gilmore for a second or early third day pick just for the long term health of their salary cap.

Not being able to even fill a devalued position like ILB with quality in free agency when there are a bunch of them going for cheap is a bad situation to be in cap-wise.

On the bright side, with the exception of a #1A WR their needs should still be able to be addressed with post draft FA scraps and using a BPA approach in the draft because it's mostly low value positions like ILB and NT.

Bado.....been thinking a lot about this over the past month. I think you definately might be onto something regarding a corner being the top pick and trading Gilmore

Its not what I want....but I am a little worried about being held hostage to GIlmore's salary demands. This basically comes down to the crazy offers his counterparts are getting and thus Gilmore holding the bills hostage. Bruce Carter is a LB I really would have liked to see on this team.

If the bills were to draft the top available corner.......they have him under contract along with Darby (and they might be considering the fact that Darby really showed something this past year to move him into the number 1 slot) they now have ALL of their corners in long term deals.

They trade Gilmore for a 2nd round pick

Then they go Corner, DL, (which is supposed to be 3 younds deep in starters), and LB in the first 2 rounds

Then they are not held hostage to Gilmore's contract in 2017.......and are able to continue to biuld the team.

Bado.....been thinking a lot about this over the past month. I think you definately might be onto something regarding a corner being the top pick and trading Gilmore

Its not what I want....but I am a little worried about being held hostage to GIlmore's salary demands. This basically comes down to the crazy offers his counterparts are getting and thus Gilmore holding the bills hostage. Bruce Carter is a LB I really would have liked to see on this team.

If the bills were to draft the top available corner.......they have him under contract along with Darby (and they might be considering the fact that Darby really showed something this past year to move him into the number 1 slot) they now have ALL of their corners in long term deals.

Then they go Corner, DL, (which is supposed to be 3 younds deep in starters), and LB in the first 2 rounds

Then they are not held hostage to Gilmore's contract in 2017.......and are able to continue to biuld the team.

Don't get all knee jerky John..

It's just a washed up LB we missed on. The Draft will take care of that. Lets wait and see about Gilmore.

Maybe HE wants to move on. If he is pushing for "elite" money then maybe Rex and Whaley move him.

I can see it happening, but i would rather not.

thanks FiC

I expect his value might fall around late second/early third because of his untenable cap hit and pending free agency. But it would have to be the next pick THAT interested team has, so it could conceivably be a lesser pick still.

That won't likely net them another player like Gilmore but it could help them land a very good DL who might not be that much lesser of a prospect than one they would be looking at in round 1.

And I think there will be a young corner at #19 who will develop more quickly than Gilmore did and hopefully be more durable and better at playing the football and finishing plays. He's gotten better at the latter two things but in many ways he has shown kind of a John Fina approach to the position and tends to play until he thinks the whistle should be blown instead of when it has been.

Nevertheless he is very good and I hate to lose homegrown talent but it's hard to foresee him living up to a huge, long term deal......where it seems more conceivable that Cordy Glenn will stay healthy and play at a high level for another 5-6 seasons. You never know but those are the kind of decisions that have to be made.

I highly doubt they would make a trade but something is up with them not getting a deal done with either Glenn or Gilmore yet.......knowing how badly they need the cap space..........and I expect it has something to do with the fact that the agents know the team needs cap relief and the best way to get that is to push cap hits down the road with signing bonuses or promised guarantees.......playing directly into their agents hands.

Either way, I'd like to see both out of the way so they can franchise Tyrod and get an extended look before inking him to a $25M/year deal.

The thing is....the jets do not run a 3-4 which is supposed to be this guys strength.......why would he not sign a 1 year deal in a system that would display his strengths to beef up his stock?

Maybe Rex wanted to offer him a contract but the play call came in late.

Edited by 4merper4mer

I expect his value might fall around late second/early third because of his untenable cap hit and pending free agency. But it would have to be the next pick THAT interested team has, so it could conceivably be a lesser pick still.

That won't likely net them another player like Gilmore but it could help them land a very good DL who might not be that much lesser of a prospect than one they would be looking at in round 1.

And I think there will be a young corner at #19 who will develop more quickly than Gilmore did and hopefully be more durable and better at playing the football and finishing plays. He's gotten better at the latter two things but in many ways he has shown kind of a John Fina approach to the position and tends to play until he thinks the whistle should be blown instead of when it has been.

Nevertheless he is very good and I hate to lose homegrown talent but it's hard to foresee him living up to a huge, long term deal......where it seems more conceivable that Cordy Glenn will stay healthy and play at a high level for another 5-6 seasons. You never know but those are the kind of decisions that have to be made.

I highly doubt they would make a trade but something is up with them not getting a deal done with either Glenn or Gilmore yet.......knowing how badly they need the cap space..........and I expect it has something to do with the fact that the agents know the team needs cap relief and the best way to get that is to push cap hits down the road with signing bonuses or promised guarantees.......playing directly into their agents hands.

Either way, I'd like to see both out of the way so they can franchise Tyrod and get an extended look before inking him to a $25M/year deal.

Doesn't Glenn only have one kidney right now? Without knowing his condition, this seems like a very risky position to hold either way.

Well, damn. Carter signed with the effin Jets. We just don't have the $ to maneuver too much right now. It sucks, but the draft is going to be the most important we've had in years. A make or break type. If we hit on 4 or 5 of our selections we'll be fine. The odds of that are probably not in our favor, but I hope it does work. Rebuilding every two or three years is getting old.