LAMP 15k posts: Also, new job in Buffalo! - coming back

BuffaloBill

In a wild turn of events I have landed a new job in Buffalo so my wife and I will be house hunting there soon. It has been 30+ years since I last lived in the area. While there is "spin" to most things I keep hearing very positive comments about the idea of coming back.

I've lived all over the country (LA, Chicago, Dallas, Nashville, Knoxville and others) and been to some of the world in my professional life. However, I am thrilled with the idea of being able to use all of my season tickets and to have WNY food on a regular basis.

Ask me next February if this was wise. Maybe by then the winter will suck once again. Before that reality bites I will enjoy all that the Queen City has to offer.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In a wild turn of events I have landed a new job in Buffalo so my wife and I will be house hunting there soon. It has been 30+ years since I last lived in the area. While there is "spin" to most things I keep hearing very positive comments about the idea of coming back.

I've lived all over the country (LA, Chicago, Dallas, Nashville, Knoxville and others) and been to some of the world in my professional life. However, I am thrilled with the idea of being able to use all of my season tickets and to have WNY food on a regular basis.

Ask me next February if this was wise. Maybe by then the winter will suck once again. Before that reality bites I will enjoy all that the Queen City has to offer.

Pic?

Congrats!!! First order of business at new company is implementing a new Talent Acquisition platform !!

Are you looking in the burbs to live or the city?

Congrats! I still have a couple years, but I'm heading "home" (central NY) and even now it's a good feeling knowing it's in my future. I've been gone for 20+ years and been all over the country since leaving.

Are you looking in the burbs to live or the city?

As you might imagine the wife will have significant say. Probably the burbs but we really have not looked other than superficially online. Hard to say until we get there and look at real choices. The crime situation in the city is concerning as is resale because of schools. We don't have kids but you do want to buy a house where there is appeal to others.

You do realize, however, you are moving closer to (rather than away from) Beerball??

I did not try to paint the situation as complete utopia...

I am well aware that the smell of Beerball hangs over the region like the smog in China. How AIO is still alive given her proximity to the source is a mystery to me.

7 bedrooms and one large shower for 20 would work. You will need a large dining area. Wet bar with several beers on tap.

Poojer gets to pick.

Large shower for 20 .... That's called a garden hose...

We will probably go with a small house but I am already talking to the wife about major outdoor kitchen at some point including a wood fired brick oven. We will have to see what space and budget ultimately allow for...

You should of moved back this winter. This winter was a piece of cake. Last winter not so much. Also they are calling for snow showers this weekend. Ah, springtime in Buffalo, 70 degrees one day, 30 the next. Welcome home!

I'm envious of you. I left in 1970, and never really had an opportunity to get back to live in BUF. You have a job, so that justifies a lot, but I'm retired, and while I could consider moving, The NYS Taxes keep me in S Virginia, so it could worse!

What part of S Va.? My parents moved to Bedford upon retirement. In part to escape the taxes. I have a couple of Aunts and Uncles also at Smith Mountain Lake. I get to the area 2 or 3 times per year.

What part of S Va.? My parents moved to Bedford upon retirement. In part to escape the taxes. I have a coup,e of Aunts and Uncles also at Smith Mountain Lake. I get to the area 2 or 3 times per year.

We retired in Seattle then moved to Williamsburg to retire in better weather and lower cost of living.. No sooner had we settled there when my employer dumped our pensions, due to CH11. Found a new job in Richmond, and moved back to save the 50 mile drive each way to work. So now we live in Chester, S Side of Richmond. After 35 years with the first job, just re-retired after 12 years here. Smith Mountain/Roanoke is nice but they get more snow in the winter, so we're likely going to stay here.

Most ot the big Richmond development is on the W side of town, but that didn't work for me, considering my job was E of the city. I didn't want to cross Richmond 2x a day, so we went S. This is not where we planned to be, it just worked out that way.

We retired in Seattle then moved to Williamsburg to retire in better weather and lower cost of living.. No sooner had we settled there when my employer dumped our pensions, due to CH11. Found a new job in Richmond, and moved back to save the 50 mile drive each way to work. So now we live in Chester, S Side of Richmond. After 35 years with the first job, just re-retired after 12 years here. Smith Mountain/Roanoke is nice but they get more snow in the winter, so we're likely going to stay here.

Most ot the big Richmond development is on the W side of town, but that didn't work for me, considering my job was E of the city. I didn't want to cross Richmond 2x a day, so we went S. This is not where we planned to be, it just worked out that way.

Sorry to hear about pension situation that sucks. My sister lives on the south side of Richmond. She loves it.

I'm sorry, were you saying something? I can't hear you from my lofty posting perch.

:worthy::lol:

Now I should ban your ass... :lol:

Sorry to hear about pension situation that sucks. My sister lives on the south side of Richmond. She loves it. :lol:

Someone actually likes the South Side ? For us West Enders, that would be a shocker to hear :lol:

BTW, dont think you can hide from me...at the very least your new company is thinking new ATS, and our first meeting will be the Friday before the opener in your office in Buffalo....someone got to pay for that flight!

Someone actually likes the South Side ? For us West Enders, that would be a shocker to hear :lol:

BTW, dont think you can hide from me...at the very least your new company is thinking new ATS, and our first meeting will be the Friday before the opener in your office in Buffalo....someone got to pay for that flight!

:lol: see you on a Friday afternoon in early September.

I have no idea yet what they have in place ...

7 bedrooms and one large shower for 20 would work. You will need a large dining area. Wet bar with several beers on tap.

Poojer gets to pick.

Several bathrooms would be wise too.

A large backyard for tenting and tailgating to get us all ready to tailgate at Hammers.

CONGRATULATIONS and EXCELLENT news!

Happy for you both!