Please draft Reggie Ragland…

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So drafting of Watkins and Darby we need fills based on scheme changes? C'mon give Whaley more credit than that.

Good luck with that. His schtick is only chiming in negative comments even if they don't make sense. I would venture to say that over the last 5 years the Bills have drafted as well as just about any team in football. They have added Dareus, Glenn, Gilmore, Kiko, Woods, Watkins, Darby, Karlos, Preston Brown, Bradham, Searcy, Seantrel and Aaron Williams (to name a few).

On the topic, I have zero interest in Ragland. He is Brandon Spikes 2.0 to me. He was exposed in the championship game with all of that speed on the field IMO. Of all of the names mentioned Ragland is probably the guy that I want the least.

Ilb can be had later in the draft. Every mock has shown this. Every simulation has shown this. Ragland does not have enough value to us to be drafted in the first.

Pass rush is also not going to merit the pick because its extremely unlikely a premier talent will be available.

Where we draft the two highest talent positions or bpa positions will be CB or OT. One will kill Bill. The other will kill half the boad.

RB also holds value. Having E. Elliot there in the first is likely. He may be worth. But we overpaid for McCoy so thsys out.

Ragland or Floyd or any of those LBs is not worth it in the first. Maybe Cravens in the second. Maybe a few others later. But there are 3 good tackles. Decker, Conklin and another I can't remember. All 3 look to be promising as long term players.

I think they would be all over Spence if he were there at 19. I just don't think he'll fall that far.

GO BILLS!!!

I would not pick a guy in the early rounds with issues in today's NFL. When they have issues coming in, those issues rarely get better with fame, 24/7 social media, 24/7 national media coverage, money...ect...ect...

Want to do that from the 4th round on? Go ahead, but not with picks in rounds 1-3. Those guys need to become reliable people and starting players for your team.

Ilb can be had later in the draft. Every mock has shown this. Every simulation has shown this. Ragland does not have enough value to us to be drafted in the first.

Pass rush is also not going to merit the pick because its extremely unlikely a premier talent will be available.

Where we draft the two highest talent positions or bpa positions will be CB or OT. One will kill Bill. The other will kill half the boad.

RB also holds value. Having E. Elliot there in the first is likely. He may be worth. But we overpaid for McCoy so thsys out.

Ragland or Floyd or any of those LBs is not worth it in the first. Maybe Cravens in the second. Maybe a few others later. But there are 3 good tackles. Decker, Conklin and another I can't remember. All 3 look to be promising as long term players.

Unfortunately, reality is a bit different than mock drafts and simulations. The fact of the matter is that when you have the pick of the litter, no matter how big and similar that litter may seem, you have a much smaller chance of getting the runt than you do after 4 or 5 of them have already been selected. There may seem to be a lot of depth at LB, there may seem to be a lot of similar guys, but time will show that there will be vastly different careers for all of them. I want the best shot at getting most impactful guy, and that comes in round 1. Now, obviously if your 1st round talent guys are gone you move on and don't reach, but if a LB is there and we like him, snag him up.

It seems that people are more into drafting pass rushing Dline. I would venture to guess that teams have a lot more success drafting MLB in the late teens of the first round than they do with pass rushers. Just a hunch but I feel like LB has been a pretty safe mid first round pick whereas the best pass rushers come from the top mostly and then from all over the place in the draft. And I feel like there are tons of mid / late first round dlineman busts, but not as many LB busts drafted there. Again, just a hunch on it without any real research.

Edited by Mark80

Unfortunately, reality is a bit different than mock drafts and simulations. The fact of the matter is that when you have the pick of the litter, no matter how big and similar that litter may seem, you have a much smaller chance of getting the runt than you do after 4 or 5 of them have already been selected. There may seem to be a lot of depth at LB, there may seem to be a lot of similar guys, but time will show that there will be vastly different careers for all of them. I want the best shot at getting most impactful guy, and that comes in round 1. Now, obviously if your 1st round talent guys are gone you move on and don't reach, but if a LB is there and we like him, snag him up.

It seems that people are more into drafting pass rushing Dline. I would venture to guess that teams have a lot more success drafting MLB in the late teens of the first round than they do with pass rushers. Just a hunch but I feel like LB has been a pretty safe mid first round pick whereas the best pass rushers come from the top mostly and then from all over the place in the draft.

For me it is the player not the position. I would be fine with Darron Lee in that spot. He is a 3 down guy though. I have no interest in a 1980's "thumper" with pick 19.

Good luck with that. His schtick is only chiming in negative comments even if they don't make sense. I would venture to say that over the last 5 years the Bills have drafted as well as just about any team in football. They have added Dareus, Glenn, Gilmore, Kiko, Woods, Watkins, Darby, Karlos, Preston Brown, Bradham, Searcy, Seantrel and Aaron Williams (to name a few).

On the topic, I have zero interest in Ragland. He is Brandon Spikes 2.0 to me. He was exposed in the championship game with all of that speed on the field IMO. Of all of the names mentioned Ragland is probably the guy that I want the least.

Me too buddy

CBF

For me it is the player not the position. I would be fine with Darron Lee in that spot. He is a 3 down guy though. I have no interest in a 1980's "thumper" with pick 19.

He's too little to play LB in a place like Buffalo. Late in the season you will get games that dictate teams running the ball and Lee would be of little service on those days.

I get that the NFL is played like a video game nowadays, but you still need that strong and solid presence in the middle when you play in tough cold weather games.

Ragland's tackling stats are almost double of Lee's. Maybe Lee's the one trick pony? How does being a pass defending LB first, tackler second work in the NFL? Also, how many times have we seen the Bills defense get run over because of missed tackles the last couple of years? The Bills don't play home games in balmy weather or in a dome. I just don't see Lee being picked by Buffalo at all.

He's too little to play LB in a place like Buffalo. Late in the season you will get games that dictate teams running the ball and Lee would be of little service on those days.

I get that the NFL is played like a video game nowadays, but you still need that strong and solid presence in the middle when you play in tough cold weather games.

Ragland's tackling stats are almost double of Lee's. Maybe Lee's the one trick pony? How does being a pass defending LB first, tackler second work in the NFL? Also, how many times have we seen the Bills defense get run over because of missed tackles the last couple of years? The Bills don't play home games in balmy weather or in a dome. I just don't see Lee being picked by Buffalo at all.

Lee just plays 2016 football. He's a former CB & QB. He has the athletic ability to match up with Gronk or slot guys. He can play on all 3 downs. The game is played in space now not in a phone booth. That's the big difference.

When you got to the final 4 in early 2015 Darron Lee was one of the best players on the field. When you got to the final 4 in 2016 Ragland was MIA. He just isn't the athlete to play today. The better the athletes were on the field the more he struggled.

The game is getting smaller and faster (much like the NBA). Big hitting, unathletic LBs and Safeties are pretty much extinct. Teams scheme to isolate those guys and then expose them in space. You already have a guy in Preston Brown that sort of fits that mold. You certainly don't need another. I am hoping for pass rush.

It seems that people are more into drafting pass rushing Dline. I would venture to guess that teams have a lot more success drafting MLB in the late teens of the first round than they do with pass rushers. Just a hunch but I feel like LB has been a pretty safe mid first round pick whereas the best pass rushers come from the top mostly and then from all over the place in the draft. And I feel like there are tons of mid / late first round dlineman busts, but not as many LB busts drafted there. Again, just a hunch on it without any real research.

I won't say I disagree with your bunch. Late first rounders are generally regarded as less quality than the top 8. By the top 8 you have selected the very best OL, DL, QB, WR, CB, LB and S. Sometimes an RB or TE sneak in there. But but by the mid 1st you're down to the second or third best at the position which is usually a big drop off.

Lee is the only LB Id draft in the first. Ragland would be a steal in the 2nd. Floyd would be of decent value.

But I look at the quality of the position. There are no superstar LB's in this draft.

Lee just plays 2016 football. He's a former CB & QB. He has the athletic ability to match up with Gronk or slot guys. He can play on all 3 downs. The game is played in space now not in a phone booth. That's the big difference.

When you got to the final 4 in early 2015 Darron Lee was one of the best players on the field. When you got to the final 4 in 2016 Ragland was MIA. He just isn't the athlete to play today. The better the athletes were on the field the more he struggled.

The game is getting smaller and faster (much like the NBA). Big hitting, unathletic LBs and Safeties are pretty much extinct. Teams scheme to isolate those guys and then expose them in space. You already have a guy in Preston Brown that sort of fits that mold. You certainly don't need another. I am hoping for pass rush.

Take a good look at the current QB landscape. The NFL may want that kind of a wide open game, but they don't have the horses they used to have. There are only a few true franchise QBs left who can beat you consistently with their arms in the league and there's only one a couple of them under 35. The NFL running game is going to make a comeback. Fitzpatrick looking for 15 million a year should tell you all you need to know that the current NFL QB landscape is a black hole.

Yes, Chris Brown is a talentless hack but Ragland is no better. After a decade of the journalistic equivalent of washing the Red Sox and Celtics balls and doing the Patriots bidding, I want nothing to do with that Boston apologist. He writes for the illiterate. Our own Ryan L Billz doesn't read at all but never missed the latest Ragland. There's a reason ESPN fired his sorry ass. He sucks.

Take a good look at the current QB landscape. The NFL may want that kind of a wide open game, but they don't have the horses they used to have. There are only a few true franchise QBs left who can beat you consistently with their arms in the league and there's only one a couple of them under 35. The NFL running game is going to make a comeback. Fitzpatrick looking for 15 million a year should tell you all you need to know that the current NFL QB landscape is a black hole.

It's more about the rules

I don't disagree, The QB play is pretty poor. Even still if it was really good in 2010 they threw for 120,946 yards. Last year they threw for 132,694 yards. There were roughly 12,000 more passing yards last year than 5 years earlier. If you were to go back further that gap would be even wider. The game is just different.