A Buffalonian's observations on his move to Texas

I'll take Houston summer not to deal with WNY winter again.

This winter was a piece of cake. I golfed 4 times in December. Most of the golf courses opened up around here a few weeks ago. I think I shoveled my driveway 3 times all year. Last years winter was way worse.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This winter was a piece of cake. I golfed 4 times in December. Most of the golf courses opened up around here a few weeks ago. I think I shoveled my driveway 3 times all year. Last years winter was way worse.

I'll have to take your word for it. February 2015 was absurd. I ain't ever comin back. We had a 55 degree rainy day once here in Houston. It was a light jacket for a month winter. I wore a hat once or twice.

I lived in Houston 82-86, and couldn't wait to escape. You're right about the pizza. I was born/raised in BUF but actually moved to Houston from Chicago, so between the Buffalo & Chicago pizza, I feel your pain!

One word of advice that worked well for me. Whenever one of the knuckle dragers ask "Are y'all a Yankee??? I say no, I'm A BILLS fan. That always worked well for me. Feel free to substitute BILLS for SABRES.

Never liked the Mexican food there. I preferred the S California variety.

Piece of cake winters are relative. I don't know what a snow shovel looks like and here the golf courses never close. I'm not sure about Houston summers but I'm hoping never to spend longer than a week in WNY during the winter. As a matter of fact I skipped my annual ski trip the past couple of year and likely will continue to do so. August is a great time to visit. Great weather, good food events, free concerts, wine country, no Bills games to be hounded about attending. :D

When I graduated from RIT in 1984, I moved from WNY to Sherman TX (about 70 miles north of Dallas, just about on the border of OK). I looked at this move as an opportunity to "see the world". I overcame my fears of the unknown and barbeque, music, rodeo, you name it all became a learning experience. And, I loved it. Ten years later I moved to Raleigh NC (employment related). Again, a whole new world of learning. 10 years later, a move to Columbus OH. Another life lesson.

What I feel that the writer is missing is the experience of adapting to a new environment, while still appreciating where you came from.

I would not have changed a thing in these moves and would welcome the opportunity again.

had the pleasure of spending a summer in Austin Texas once ( the garden of Eden of texas) remember swimming in what is now called lake Austin. Water temp around 102 F. Bluegills were like pirranahs, and the only time we broke into a sweat swimming anywhere. i understand why people can claim Texas has a better climate than Buffalo and that from what I have been told wears off quickly.

When I graduated from RIT in 1984, I moved from WNY to Sherman TX (about 70 miles north of Dallas, just about on the border of OK). I looked at this move as an opportunity to "see the world". I overcame my fears of the unknown and barbeque, music, rodeo, you name it all became a learning experience. And, I loved it. Ten years later I moved to Raleigh NC (employment related). Again, a whole new world of learning. 10 years later, a move to Columbus OH. Another life lesson.

What I feel that the writer is missing is the experience of adapting to a new environment, while still appreciating where you came from.

I would not have changed a thing in these moves and would welcome the opportunity again.

I agree with that. You have to appreciate the differences and embrace the new experiences. Get out of your comfort zone and enjoy it for what it is, don't always compare.

PS- I spent some time in Wichita Falls TX that I enjoyed. The one thing that I'm still amazed at were the supercell thunderstorms. But I really enjoyed Texas.

Tuck Fexas!

North, east, and south Texas sucks. El Paso has the best food. Scenery? Anyplace but el paso.

I take that back. el paso is gorgeous compared to everything west of austin, which is nothing.

Edited by SAMMY HANDWICH

and i don't believe you cannot find an awesome mexican restaurant in buffalo or any city or town in the US, may not be aesthetically pleasing a place to draw you in, but i bet you could find several places that would knock your socks off

I've been in the Raleigh area of NC for just about 2 years now. I don't know if it's big around here or it's just purely random, but there are at least 6 different mexican places all within a 10 minute drive from my house... that I know of. My wife is big on frozen drinks, so up to this point, that is really the only thing we've graded the places on.

The main piece of culture shock is the number of fast food joints. Everyone here should be over 300 pounds because those places are everywhere, with people walking away with their 1 gallon jugs of sweet tea.

Oh, and I was in Boston for the last 14 years, so I can't really compare this to Buffalo. Too much changed already over that time in the Boston/Hamburg area I grew up in.

Edited by shrader

Spent about a year in West Texas early in my radio career. First in Odessa, then Lubbock, early 80's. I liked it a lot. I liked the people. (I was told there is a world of difference between east and west Texas.) I was the midday jock at the only Album Rock station in town among a dozen or so country stations. We were #1.

Weather was hot but dry. Also Lubbock was a dry county back then, except for "the Strip," a quarter-mile stretch of road with maybe 20 beer and liquor stores. Of course I drove a beat up pickup then.

Believe it or not, it was legal to drink a beer while driving then, so as a courtesy, they would give you a cold long neck for the road at the drive thru.

Just as you made the turn back into town, Pedro's Tamale Factory had a drive up window, 6 for $3. Driving with a cold beer and some hot tamales watching the sun set over the cotton fields. Good times. Oh and it's true about Texas women. All are gorgeous.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Spent about a year in West Texas early in my radio career. First in Odessa, then Lubbock, early 80's. I liked it a lot. I liked the people. (I was told there is a world of difference between east and west Texas.) I was the midday jock at the only Album Rock station in town among a dozen or so country stations. We were #1.

Weather was hot but dry. Also Lubbock was a dry county back then, except for "the Strip," a quarter-mile stretch of road with maybe 20 beer and liquor stores. Of course I drove a beat up pickup then.

Believe it or not, it was legal to drink a beer while driving then, so as a courtesy, they would give you a cold long neck for the road at the drive thru.

Just as you made the turn back into town, Pedro's Tamale Factory had a drive up window, 6 for $3. Driving with a cold beer and some hot tamales watching the sun set over the cotton fields. Good times. Oh and it's true about Texas women. All are gorgeous.

I was pretty young but remember going through the drive thru for a road beer. Couldn't believe it was legal.

On my own time, I've always pretty much been a jeans or shorts and generic "polo shirt" guy, so nothing that would have made me stand out from the weekend crowd at Butera's. I was sad to recently learn that Butera's closed quite some time ago - - although these days I rarely get back to Houston. When I do, a visit to Pappadeaux for crawfish etouffee is pretty much mandatory if time permits.

and i don't believe you cannot find an awesome mexican restaurant in buffalo or any city or town in the US, may not be aesthetically pleasing a place to draw you in, but i bet you could find several places that would knock your socks off

Thought this myself.

Anyone that actually sits there and considers Moes and Chipotle authentic Mexican should just go hang themselves.

If you really want some authentic Mexican in Buffalo or surrounding areas you don't have to go much farther than El Canelo right down the street from the stadium, or La Toltecca across from the eastern hills mall in transit.

I lived in Vegas for 2 years and also spent much time in Tempe, Az when I was there and I'd take El Canelo over any Mexican I got down there any day of the week.

One thing I think is funny is Texans have so much pride in their state they can't imagine a world outside of Texas or why anyone would want to go anywhere else. I thought that was kinda cool.

Colorado is the exact same, in a "not really cool at all" kind of way. It's considered a mortal sin to not think this state is the greatest and everything about it is perfect and better than anyplace else in the world. The lack of self-awareness drives me nuts.

I love Texas, not planning to ever move. Not a native but have lived in Buffalo, Orlando, and now Texas, and Texas wins. Orlando was terrible.

I love the people and the culture here in Texas. I've lived in both San Antonio and Austin over the past 13 years and they're both great cities, but Austin is my favorite. Natural beauty, amazing tech industry, average to low cost of living, no state income tax, fantastic food, great bar scene, great people, all of the live events that take place all the time here, the big festivals, I love it. And it's amazing that fifteen minutes from my house are small Texas towns in the middle of nowhere with amazing bbq.

The one place in Texas I'd be hard pressed to move to is Houston. The rest I absolutely love.

Austin and San Antonio are very cool. Austin is my favorite place in texas but their highway system is the worst ive ever experienced (10 years ago). El paso has the best food and art and mountains (but no trees). Everything east, I really dislike. DFW and Houston suck sweaty balls.