Rex Ryan: I won't be shocked if Ed Reed is HC in 5 years

Saxum

I guess your sentiment come from his public persona. For the most part I do not care about that while you (along with many others) obviously do. Based on what the majority of players and coaches for that matter say about Rex and his dealings with them, my feeling is yes.

Actually, his public persona is just about the only thing I like about him. It's just easier to like when he actually backs it up with wins. Which he hasn't done in many, many years. That's where my sentiment comes from. He's a proven loser as a HC.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, his public persona is just about the only thing I like about him. It's just easier to like when he actually backs it up with wins. Which he hasn't done in many, many years. That's where my sentiment comes from. He's a proven loser as a HC.

It takes more than a good coach to win. It has to be a coordinated effort between ownership, front office, coaching staff, and players. They certainly didn't have that in the majority of his time with the NYJ and the chapter is still being written with the Bills. You've already made your determination and that's fine by me. It's TBD from my perspective.

Dennis Thurman as well.

Bingo. Rex's inflation of the coaching acumen of his staff members is self serving. "Look at the top notch coaches I pick!".

That whopper he told about Thurman is only surpassed by the stuff he said about Thurman's (functional) replacement: " My brother, he's never been given the opportunity to be a head coach. You know, there's no promises or anything else, but I would love to see him get that opportunity based on how we play, how we perform."

Wow the imaginary "Rex Ryan coaching tree" keeps bearing "HC someday" fruit!

The dude is arguably the greatest safety of all time and one of the most cerebral defensive players in league history, why would anyone doubt he could be a great coach one day?

because being a great player doesn't necessarily transfer to being a great coach

I like the guy and do not think everything is a public persona at all. i think he is very genuine and loyal to his players, his team and fans. I think the fact that it is genuine is why so many of his players and coaches continue to love him for years after they are no longer together. The same can be said of Jauron because he is a genuine guy too. His guys always love him.

I think although it is unfortunate, that the window to be a successful NFL coach is a short one. Both Rex and Jauron possess the personal makeup to be a long term successful head coach, and they have a good portion of the football knowledge, but they both also have shortcomings. Jauron seemed to lack the aggressiveness to take an opportunity by the horns and turn it into wins. Rex has the aggression but lacks the adaptability and brain power to make it work. He is stuck in his antiquated scheme that may work again 40 years from now when everyone has forgotten it but its time in the present is gone. Kaput. Over. Rex either can't adapt or isn't smart enough to see what is in front of everyone's face and is obvious about his scheme, even as pedestrians like Kurt Cousins and Sam Bradford torch it. His window is closed. I wish it were open because I like the guy so much, but closed is closed.

The Bills do need a genuine guy as head coach....like Rex and unlike Marrone. But they also need one that can adapt. I hope the next guy can do so. I think it will also probably require a new GM because I can easily see Whaley getting thrown out with the bathwater that is Rex. I hope they don't go the route of some blowhard cut from the mold of Spurrier or Chip Kelly that thinks he can do it all, but that will be a temptation.

Edited by 4merper4mer

I like the guy and do not think everything is a public persona at all. i think he is very genuine and loyal to his players, his team and fans. I think the fact that it is genuine is why so many of his players and coaches continue to love him for years after they are no longer together. The same can be said of Jauron because he is a genuine guy too. His guys always love him.

I think although it is unfortunate, that the window to be a successful NFL coach is a short one. Both Rex and Jauron possess the personal makeup to be a long term successful head coach, and they have a good portion of the football knowledge, but they both also have shortcomings. Jauron seemed to lack the aggressiveness to take an opportunity by the horns and turn it into wins. Rex has the aggression but lacks the adaptability and brain power to make it work. He is stuck in his antiquated scheme that may work again 40 years from now when everyone has forgotten it but its time in the present is gone. Kaput. Over. Rex either can't adapt or isn't smart enough to see what is in front of everyone's face and is obvious about his scheme, even as pedestrians like Kurt Cousins and Sam Bradford torch it. His window is closed. I wish it were open because I like the guy so much, but closed is closed.

The Bills do need a genuine guy as head coach....like Rex and unlike Marrone. But they also need one that can adapt. I hope the next guy can do so. I think it will also probably require a new GM because I can easily see Whaley getting thrown out with the bathwater that is Rex. I hope they don't go the route of some blowhard cut from the mold of Spurrier or Chip Kelly that thinks he can do it all, but that will be a temptation.

Your post was terrific. It was analytical and dispassionate in describing the situation.

The core problem is not that he is without some good attributes that make him likable to the players but it is his limitations that undercut his chances of being a success. If a HC isn't able to adapt and adjust in an environment of constant change then the chances for success plummet. What was successful previously won't necessarily work in this particular shifting work environment.

What is obvious is that Rex is doubling down in adhering to his coaching principles by bringing in his own players and additional coaches who can better get his players to fit his coaching philosophy.His lack of self-awareness and his belief that the problems lies elsewhere when it is the opposite is disturbing to me. He wants his players to respond to him when he should be moving more in the direction of responding to the players he has on hand.

I don't believe Rex is smart enough and flexible enough to deviate from his coaching philosophy. (I'm not saying this in a way to ridicule him. That is not my intention.) A person can be very smart intellectually but still be incapable of modifying his approach to adapt to the changing landscape.

There is this notion that Rex has a history of success. That is far from the truth. Over an extended stint with the Jets he had a losing record. In his first year with the Bills it is not unfair to say that his team underachieved. The bottom line is that he was a bad hire who has performed at the level he has mostly performed at before he even got to western NY.

People need to give Rex a break we finished 8-8 with our team missing multiple starters for most of the season.

The last time we we're fully healthy we were putting a 41-14 beatdown on the Fins. I realize all teams suffer threw some injuries but we were decimated by them. Not many teams can get threw what we did without falling apart, unless they have a Brady type franchise QB. Which we all know we don't have.

Complete and utter nonsense. Was it antiquated against the Patriots on Monday Night in Foxboro? How about against the NYJ twice last season? How about against Andrew Luck and the Colts? They were up and down last season with both good and bad performances. Your take simply does match what actually happened on the field. They were certainly disappointing overall in comparison to the previous year for variety of reasons. But this antiquated nonsense you keep spitting out simply cannot be substantiated.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

because being a great player doesn't necessarily transfer to being a great coach

SO True.

Greatest coach in NHL history had trouble skating.... ( scotty bowman for those who dont know )

People need to give Rex a break we finished 8-8 with our team missing multiple starters for most of the season.

The last time we we're fully healthy we were putting a 41-14 beatdown on the Fins. I realize all teams suffer threw some injuries but we were decimated by them. Not many teams can get threw what we did without falling apart, unless they have a Brady type franchise QB. Which we all know we don't have.

The injury excuse in full swing.

LETS GO BILLS! Please get 10 wins this year and get me hot and horny!

Complete and utter nonsense. Was it antiquated against the Patriots on Monday Night in Foxboro? How about against the NYJ twice last season? How about against Andrew Luck and the Colts? They were up and down last season with both good and bad performances. Your take simply does match what actually happened on the field. They were certainly disappointing overall in comparison to the previous year for variety of reasons. But this antiquated nonsense you keep spitting out simply cannot be substantiated.

Give me a break dude. Use your eyes. Jets? Really? Ryan Fitzpatrick in windy conditions? We've seen that before. Why not brag about how we shut down Talleywhacker? Andrew Luck is a turnover machine and the Colts suck. The D did have a good game in NE2. Cincy? KC? You have to have more than a few good performances to be viable. Rex's scheme is no longer viable and we are in the midst of proving it while trashing our once formidable defensive roster. It is sad.

Listen to the quote at 2:29 of the below. It sums up Rex's D.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSU00AfoidA

These threads are going to make for some fun reading sometime in November/December if (when?) the Bills are playing top-10 defense and in the thick of the playoff race.

November/December 2019 after the defense has been re-built post Rex?

Give me a break dude. Use your eyes. Jets? Really? Ryan Fitzpatrick in windy conditions? We've seen that before. Why not brag about how we shut down Talleywhacker? Andrew Luck is a turnover machine and the Colts suck. The D did have a good game in NE2. Cincy? KC? You have to have more than a few good performances to be viable. Rex's scheme is no longer viable and we are in the midst of proving it while trashing our once formidable defensive roster. It is sad.

Listen to the quote at 2:29 of the below. It sums up Rex's D.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSU00AfoidA

You have said this many times and have zero rationale for it from a football perspective. On occasions where the defense worked it's some excuse instead of credit to the scheme and player execution. You are simply full of ****.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

These threads are going to make for some fun reading sometime in November/December if (when?) the Bills are playing top-10 defense and in the thick of the playoff race.

I would love for you to be right and I be wrong. But I doubt it.

Being in the thick of a playoff race is not good enough for me. If Rex can't get this team into the playoffs then he has failed. You might be satisfied by lowering your expectations but I'm not going there, especially after 16 years of futility.

I would love for you to be right and I be wrong. But I doubt it.

Being in the thick of a playoff race is not good enough for me. If Rex can't get this team into the playoffs then he has failed. You might be satisfied by lowering your expectations but I'm not going there, especially after 16 years of futility.

What does 16 years have to do with Rex? For that matter, what does it have to do with Pegula or Whaley?

The fact that Whaley will likely go down when the S.S. Ryan sinks is a shame. Whaley was doing a fine job getting all of the proper pieces in Buffalo until Rex came to town and ruined it with his coaching hires and QB preference.

Edited by Gugny

The fact that Whaley will likely go down when the S.S. Ryan sinks is a shame. Whaley was doing a fine job getting all of the proper pieces in Buffalo until Rex came to town and ruined it with his coaching hires and QB preference.

Campaigning for and getting Tyrod in Buffalo was a mistake? WTF!?!

You have said this many times and have zero rationale for it from a football perspective. On occasions where the defense worked it's some excuse instead of credit to the scheme and player execution. You are simply full of ****.

I understand rose colored glasses and all but geez dude the defense sucked out loud. Rationale from a football perspective? Getting torched by Kurt Cousins and Sam Bradford is a football perspective. Pointing out that the defense played one good game against one good team in an entire season, although also a football perspective is one that lacks context. It is like a cupcake on a pile of garbage. You can climb to the top and enjoy the tasty treat, but when you get home you are still going to be covered in rotted tomatoes and you won't smell very good.

Watch a few plays from that Youtube. It is week friggin 15 and guys had no idea where to go.

I want to be clear about some things. I hope I'm wrong. Feel free to mock me to the ends of the Earth if the defense plays well this year...especially if they play as well as they did in 2014. I'll enjoy accepting the ridicule because the Bills will be succeeding. When we suck I might complain but I won't be rubbing it in your face or anyone else's and I won't be happy because the Bills will be failing. I would rather be wrong than right but that does not mean I'll look at a pile of garbage and see a cupcake.

Campaigning for and getting Tyrod in Buffalo was a mistake? WTF!?!

On this point you and I agree.

Edited by 4merper4mer

I understand rose colored glasses and all but geez dude the defense sucked out loud. Rationale from a football perspective? Getting torched by Kurt Cousins and Sam Bradford is a football perspective. Pointing out that the defense played one good game against one good team in an entire season, although also a football perspective but one that lacks context. It is like a cupcake on a pile of garbage. You can climb to the top and enjoy the tasty treat, but when you get home you are still going to be covered in rotted tomatoes and you won't smell very good.

Watch a few plays from that Youtube. It is week friggin 15 and guys had no idea where to go.

I want to be clear about some things. I hope I'm wrong. Feel free to mock me to the ends of the Earth if the defense plays well this year...especially if they play as well as they did in 2014. I'll enjoy accepting the ridicule because the Bills will be succeeding. When we suck I might complain but I won't be rubbing it in your face or anyone else's and I won't be happy because the Bills will be failing. I would rather be right than wrong but that does not mean I'll look at a pile of garbage and see a cupcake.

The numbers on the field say BS! They were not as good as 2014 and that is stipulated. But the notion that they were flat out terrible all season long is pure unadulterated BS. Don't give us any of your ridiculous analogies. Give a breakdown of why the defense is antiquated and why any team with any run of the mill QB can and will exploit the scheme since it is so easily taken advantage of. You offer excuses as to why it worked in some games and selectively pick out games where they failed. Your passionate defense filled with nothingness and distraction techniques isn't impressing anyone.