We are ''tolerant'' and ''progressive'&#39

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

some homeless people just get stuck someplace and can't get home or to family.

And most are insane, alcoholics or drug addicts who have no idea it could care less about family or a job. But good job Portland of getting rid of the problem......for Portland. How very progressive of you.

What does "tolerant" and "progressive" have to do w/solving a problem? It has nothing to do w/"farming" anybody out as it does solving a problem. Did you miss the very first paragraph:

"Portland, Ore. City Council has approved a new initiative that would give homeless people bus tickets to leave town, provided they also head to a destination where family, a job or another sort of support network is already in place for them..."

Why is this initiative so bad? Nobody is foisting off a problem. They are giving them means to solve a problem.

Reading comprehension:

"Provided where ANOTHER support network..."

And most are insane, alcoholics or drug addicts who have no idea it could care less about family or a job. But good job Portland of getting rid of the problem......for Portland. How very progressive of you.

You have a problem w/reading comphrehension too.

Back up your claims w/fact. Where are they pushing a problem off on others?

The way it sounds, there is pretty straightforward stipulations put on these bus tickets. If they can't meet those stipulations, Portland is more than willing to find other ways to solve the problem... Including staying put.

Holy Moly! Just can't win w/you partisan hacks!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

What does "tolerant" and "progressive" have to do w/solving a problem? It has nothing to do w/"farming" anybody out as it does solving a problem. Did you miss the very first paragraph:

"Portland, Ore. City Council has approved a new initiative that would give homeless people bus tickets to leave town, provided they also head to a destination where family, a job or another sort of support network is already in place for them..."

Why is this initiative so bad? Nobody is foisting off a problem. They are giving them means to solve a problem.

Reading comprehension:

"Provided where ANOTHER support network..."

You have a problem w/reading comphrehension too.

Back up your claims w/fact. Where are they pushing a problem off on others?

The way it sounds, there is pretty straightforward stipulations put on these bus tickets. If they can't meet those stipulations, Portland is more than willing to find other ways to solve the problem... Including staying put.

Holy Moly! Just can't win w/you partisan hacks!

No I comprehend the actual problem of homelessness. I understand why most people are homeless. And shipping them off to "family" is not going to solve the reason why they became homeless in the first place. They will most likely end up on the streets where they are being shipped off to.

No I comprehend the actual problem of homelessness. I understand why most people are homeless. And shipping them off to "family" is not going to solve the reason why they became homeless in the first place. They will most likely end up on the streets where they are being shipped off to.

Okay, fair enough, you are only 1/2 clueless.

And you know this pertains to ALL homeless how? You paint w/a very wide brush & sweeping generalizations.

So then what is your solution for people who want to get back w/family, want to seek other support networks, get in touch w/that network, etc...?

Stay where they are? Give them a dime so they can jingle family and friends to come pick them up?

I knew a guy (passed away now) that was a Vietnam Vet and was homeless back in the late 1960's... Yes, his problem... Ran out of options while far from home... Drugs, the alcohol, whole nine yards. Well he told me the story anyway. He was out west and trying to get back to family in Chicago after he dead headed out and hit rock bottom. Back in the day... He just happened to get rounded up by a Sheriff in Nevada. The Sheriff drove him to the outskirts of town, put him on a freight boxcar and said: "This train is going to Chicago." 4 days later he was pulling into a railyard on Western Avenue!

Some do want to get back. He (my story) was never homeless again.

And you know this pertains to ALL homeless how? You paint w/a very wide brush & sweeping generalizations.

So then what is your solution for people who want to get back w/family, want to seek other support networks, get in touch w/that network, etc...?

Stay where they are? Give them a dime so they can jingle family and friends to come pick them up?

I knew a guy (passed away now) that was a Vietnam Vet and was homeless back in the late 1960's... Yes, his problem... Ran out of options while far from home... Drugs, the alcohol, whole nine yards. Well he told me the story anyway. He was out west and trying to get back to family in Chicago after he dead headed out and hit rock bottom. Back in the day... He just happened to get rounded up by a Sheriff in Nevada. The Sheriff drove him to the outskirts of town, put him on a freight boxcar and said: "This train is going to Chicago." 4 days later he was pulling into a railyard on Western Avenue!

crazy story! I thought of one two when I first read the thread, not as in depth as yours but it made an impact on me. I was at the local city library and this crazy women was yelling and screaming and they called the cops who came and were nice to her and just started asking her questions. Turns out she was kicked off the bus because she could only go so far and had nothing and couldn't get home. She was just old and scared and had nothing in the world. They said they could help her and took her with them.

crazy story! I thought of one two when I first read the thread, not as in depth as yours but it made an impact on me. I was at the local city library and this crazy women was yelling and screaming and they called the cops who came and were nice to her and just started asking her questions. Turns out she was kicked off the bus because she could only go so far and had nothing and couldn't get home. She was just old and scared and had nothing in the world. They said they could help her and took her with them.

Is it one or two, and if it is two where is the other story?

Now who has the reading comprehension problem? Where did I say this applies to ALL (your capitalization not mine) homeless people? I do know the reason many, if not most, people are homeless is due to alcoholism, drug addiction and mental illness. I know this how? I've live in CA for over 30 years and have witnessed it first hand. And living in SF and the Bay Area of the last 7 years I really see it. It's a major problem here.

Solutions are not simple and I won't sit here and say I have one. But to ship people to friends and family in hopes that will solve the underlying reasons for being homeless is a patch and a lousy one at that. SF has had it's own Homeward Bound program for 10 years now and boy I gotta tell ya it's really done a bang up job in reducing the amount of homeless people here. I also read that the program wasn't even doing what it was supposed to by following up with them to see if they made it to friends and family. It's a feel good program that doesn't work. There are people on the streets because they choose to be (mostly young people who'd rather do that than work) and those we can't help. There are people on the streets that are addicted to drugs and alcohol and treatment for them is very expensive and what do you do? Put them in rehab and then when they're clean put them back on the streets? And then there are those on the streets that are truly mentally disabled and those people we need to take care of. Those people I really feel sorry for. And I have no problem with my tax dollars getting them off the street and taken care of. And from what I've seen that is a good number of them. Is it a majority? I'm not sure but I'd not be surprised.

So you guys have two stories among you? Great. Come back when you're both better informed regarding the homeless problem.

If these homeless folks Portland is trying to get rid of had friends & family that were willing to share their homes with them, they'd likely not be homeless in the first place. This initiative may help a few of them, but it won't even begin to address the overall problem.

Yep.

With that, that is the difference between the progressives and conservatives. The cons are just heartless bastards that will always paint with a wide,negative brush first... Assume the world is as unconpassionate and dishonest as they are. Call me a naive fool, but I'd rather error on the positive side first.

Notice, I said positive side FIRST. Europe erred on that side first. Yet, one can't throw up the fences and hide forever.

Yep.

With that, that is the difference between the progressives and conservatives. The cons are just heartless bastards that will always paint with a wide,negative brush first... Assume the world is as unconpassionate and dishonest as they are. Call me a naive fool, but I'd rather error on the positive side first.

You appear to not be a naïve fool ............but just a fool.

Conservative, religious oriented people have been shown time and time and time and time again to be more charitable and forgiving towards people.

Progressives, not so much.

Now who has the reading comprehension problem? Where did I say this applies to ALL (your capitalization not mine) homeless people? I do know the reason many, if not most, people are homeless is due to alcoholism, drug addiction and mental illness. I know this how? I've live in CA for over 30 years and have witnessed it first hand. And living in SF and the Bay Area of the last 7 years I really see it. It's a major problem here.

Solutions are not simple and I won't sit here and say I have one. But to ship people to friends and family in hopes that will solve the underlying reasons for being homeless is a patch and a lousy one at that. SF has had it's own Homeward Bound program for 10 years now and boy I gotta tell ya it's really done a bang up job in reducing the amount of homeless people here. I also read that the program wasn't even doing what it was supposed to by following up with them to see if they made it to friends and family. It's a feel good program that doesn't work. There are people on the streets because they choose to be (mostly young people who'd rather do that than work) and those we can't help. There are people on the streets that are addicted to drugs and alcohol and treatment for them is very expensive and what do you do? Put them in rehab and then when they're clean put them back on the streets? And then there are those on the streets that are truly mentally disabled and those people we need to take care of. Those people I really feel sorry for. And I have no problem with my tax dollars getting them off the street and taken care of. And from what I've seen that is a good number of them. Is it a majority? I'm not sure but I'd not be surprised.

So you guys have two stories among you? Great. Come back when you're both better informed regarding the homeless problem.

Of course, almost everything is a feel-good program. It's all how you want to view things.

Then why did this heartless bastard say he had no problem helping those that due to no fault of their own found themselves homeless?

What have you done to help the homeless that you would consider erring on the positive?

Of course, almost everything is a feel-good program. It's all how you want to view things.

Feel good, though great with it's intentions, typically do not succeed. You do things to make things better for others not feel good about yourself. Very liberal mindset there. Bravo!!

You appear to not be a naïve fool ............but just a fool.

Conservative, religious oriented people have been shown time and time and time and time again to be more charitable and forgiving towards people.

Progressives, not so much.

I consider myself very, very conservative and religious oriented. I live my personal life very conservatively.

I just don't get on my soapbox and tell other people to be as conservative.

I am progressive too... Go figure.

Then why did this heartless bastard say he had no problem helping those that due to no fault of their own found themselves homeless?

What have you done to help the homeless that you would consider erring on the positive?

Feel good, though great with it's intentions, typically do not succeed. You do things to make things better for others not feel good about yourself. Very liberal mindset there. Bravo!!

And the same applies to you with things I simply don't give a sh*t about.